“Good food and very cozy”

The Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Ballycastle
Cuisines: Irish, European, Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Ballycastle's best kept secret...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food and very cozy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

After a day touring the Giant’s Causeway and the Rope Bridge it was getting late and we wanted to have dinner before heading further down the coast towards Larne. Ballycastle seemed to be the closest town and the Cellar was recommended by the LP guidebook. It was in a basement, nicely decorated, very cozy, with wooden bench booth seats and stained glass partitions. Place was about half full and the service was prompt. We had the lobster, hake with string beans and bacon, and sides of fried potatoes and sautéed mushrooms. All well prepared and presented. Took a while to get the check however – guess they were in no hurry to rush anyone out. Overall, a very good little restaurant and reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2012

Ireland
“Well cooked food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We had been recommended The Cellar as we wanted fish. Had a lovely starter with smoked salmon and monkfish for main course. My co-traveller had goats cheese for starter and decided on the monkfish as well.
The goats cheese starter was also great.
The monkfish was nice and soft, perfectly cooked.
Would happily go back!

Cottingham, United Kingdom
“Evening meal in B/castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Earlybird menu available to 7 pm offers 2 course meal plus glass of wine for £10. Excellent quality. Very tasty items also on the main menu. Staff very friendly and efficient. Couldn't find any fault.

Visited September 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I enjoyed my meal at The Cellar. The pasta had a great flavor. I didn't like the seats. It was uncomfortable.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SueMC_56
Kilkenny, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Food (allergy friendly), good price,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were on holiday and the guestbook where we stayed recommended the Cellar. I’m glad we took the advice! I can’t eat dairy and this can cause some problems eating out but not here. I got the seabass and asked the waitress if it was possible to get it without the butter as I couldn’t eat dairy. Normally when I do this I still get veg covered in butter – but not this time! It was great to be able to enjoy a lovely meal without worry.
My boyfriend got the rack of lamb. I normally don’t like lamb but I tasted it and it was amazing. He also got the chocolate roulade, but that I couldn’t taste :0( He did say it was lovely though.
The portions were just right and we left happy and full. The staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. I would definitely recommend.

• Visited August 2012