“disgusted with lack of tourist info”

Glenariff Forest Park
Ranked #21 of 240 things to do in County Antrim
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“disgusted with lack of tourist info”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

On a 2 day visit 'doing' the Coastal Causeway we included this attraction. We drove the 5 miles from the coast to it,picnic at the ready and through the park to the carpark to find the Waterfall Walk was shut. Why was this not made clear on the coast road before we left it or at least at the park entrance. It was lunchtime on a very hot day,only 2 other cars in the huge carpark(£4.50 to park! ) and no one was in the café.This says it all.

3 Thank Evelyn W

• Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Really disappointing but so much potential”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We drove for two hours to reach the park, only to be told that the Waterfall Trail was 'still' closed. This is the best bit of the park. We didn't even know it had been closed at all. Later on we found out that a large part of the Scenic Trail was also closed due to tree cutting (harvesting) and some kind of tree disease. A reduction in the entrance fee would have been appropriate in the circumstances. There also should have been notice of these closures on the park's website. The web-site is next to useless actually. The tea-room on-site was poor - the range and quality of food was very poor and uninspiring.

2 Thank JustWilliamtheSecond
Lisburn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Campsite for Backpackers”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I camped here on the 9th July, and yes the midges were out, but not too bad. The site was quiet during my stay. The facilities are basic, and a bit tired. The pricing structure seems strange, the warden told me he was told to answer the question with the answer "you use the same facilities", i.e showers and toilet block. I was charged the same as a caravan, and a family of five in a large tent £13.50. This was possibly good value for the others, I cannot say, but exceptionally expensive for a lone bicycle tourist. I normally tour in Scotland, spending up to six weeks there camping and hostelling ever year. They have a much more developed tourist infrastructure, something we in Northern Ireland need to strive more for. Camp sites generally charge 50% of this price, I could stay in small hostels for less (The Outer Hebrides).
I believe we have missed the market for such tourists, believing ever person arrives in some form of motor transport. I sometimes spend time in Scotland with in excess of fifty other cyclists and backpackers answering questions about my native Northern Ireland. Tourism encompasses many forms and many form a love for an area one way and return again another day with family and friends. This is the broad approach to tourism out province needs and will be the basis for long term success. Earlier that same day the council site in Cushendall which had said it took tents on the web site had told me they where not taking tents this year. German motor cyclists were leaving the town the same time as myself, I do not know if they where camping or not, but I have met many on my travels who were. If this had been the case Cushendall had missed out to possibly Ballycastle.

Please note that as with many camp sites in rural retreats telephone reception can be bad. Vodafone did not seem to like the site. Although after walking around in circles for half an hour I found a spot.

If you arrive and are unsure how it works at the site you just pitch up and someone arrives in the evening to collect the money.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Love the forest not the campsite”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

went with kids to get away from it all and for bit of quiet. We went for a walk in the park late on and it was beautiful we could hear the birds and the water. Unfortunately when on the campsite the only nature we got close to was the thousands of midges which swarmed the site will definitely NOT recommend this site and never be back as quads kept us all awake and meant we couldn't even play beside our tent. Other campers were not impressed either and when reported to ranger he said that the boys were staying with a travellers community on site. Do not go to this site go to Cushendall and camp, they have pods for £40 had I known this I would have packed up and left :( v unhappy. Enjoyed the cafe in the park though.

Belfast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beware”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We arrived midday yesterday. The site was empty apart from a few tents and vans. We paid for two nights the surroundings are really tranqil and the facilities ok.

The peace didnt last long. The quads started at 5 and went on until 11. Then the drinking, wailing, repetitive music and shouting began and went on until the early hours. It became apparent we were sharing the site with travellers, pikies, gypsies whatever you prefer to call them. After last night's experience I have no desire to seek out a particularly politically correct name to refer to them by.

They do not care about anyone else and true to form they are a law onto themselves. We spoke to both rangers who were familiar with them and well aware of their behaviour.

We had paid for Sunday night but left as soon as we could pack up-just around the time when the quad bikes started again!

It's a shame because the site is nice but ruined by these people. The site had filled up yesterday afternoon and evening but by this morning all but two had packed up and left. Unsurprisingly basics like common courtesy and thought for others just doesn't occur to these people.

1 Thank Karen M