“Excellent”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: City Centre Restaurant with Cookery School. Using the best of Northern Irish produce for a seasonal menu. Pre theatre Mon-Fri £21.50, A La Carte and Tasting Menu always available. Now with Private Dining Room and The Bar and Grill, a more casual dining option located next door. Our other restaurants are The Bar & Grill at James Street South, Hadskis and Cast & Crew.
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I really can't praise this restaurant enough. From start to finish the experience was 5*. We went for dinner on a Saturday night. I ordered the scallops for starters and the lamb for main (the best lamb I have ever had) and my husband had the pork belly to start and venison for main. Everything was cooked to perfection! The highlight for me was my rhubarb desert, it was honestly the best desert I have eaten.
The staff were amazing especially our waitress who was so attentive throughout our meal.
If you are looking for amazing food with competent staff then look no further than James Street South, you won't be disappointed!

There are newer reviews for James Street South

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Right off the bat, I want to say the food here was excellent. We went for the tasting menu with wine (more on that in a second) and every course was tremendous. We had matched wines, sharing the cheese and pudding between us, more than enough. They even split the pudding wines and port so we could each try some. Service was good and the staff friendly.

What follows are minor points that have stopped me reaching for the five star option. I would recommend this restaurant but....

The four course tasting menu was essentially one course from each section of the menu with two starters. All delicious but when I have other tasting menus they have tried a bit harder and created something that works together as menu, often featuring different dishes to the a la carte, to showcase the chef. I didn't get this impression here, which is a shame as they are obviously talented.

We ordered the matched wines. Once the sommelier heard this we didn't see him again. In previous experiences the sommelier pops around telling you why they chose this particular wine to go with a particular dish. Instead we had the waitress who tried her best but it's not her job and it showed.

Then there was the music. White lights, white linen, nice interior, manicured staff and 90's light dance on the sound system. Really? Would you like some Anastasia with your fennel infused rabbit loin? Nope, me neither. It was also too loud, in my opinion anything above audible was too loud for this rubbish.

Don't let this put you off though, a very good restaurant with very fair pricing.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was our first visit and this place is the best so far . Our meal was fantastic , actually no words can express how good it actually was. Staff and service was first class .

Reviewed March 28, 2014

A birthday dinner with a interesting twist. A four course meal chosen by the chef on Wednesdays only. This provided an element of surprise and those serving carefully explained the inspiration behind each dish. It was delicious food. beautifully presented and great to discuss as we enjoyed the evening.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Critics Table on Wednesday night, it was an amazing meal, 4 courses chosen by the Chef, each course complementing each other, building up the flavours for whole food event. The Critics table is definitely worth a visit. The chef is fantastic.
The accompanying wine paring is definitely worth trying, the wines chosen were not one we would have thought off and a single bottle of red or white would not have done the food justice.
The staff were excellent as usual and very knowledgeable about the food and wine.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant