“Now our preferred restuarant in Belfast”
Review of James Street South

James Street South
Ranked #24 of 1,097 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: City Centre Restaurant with Cookery School. Using the best of Northern Irish produce for a seasonal menu. Pre theatre Mon-Fri £21.50, A La Carte and Tasting Menu always available. Now with Private Dining Room and The Bar and Grill, a more casual dining option located next door. Our other restaurants are The Bar & Grill at James Street South, Hadskis and Cast & Crew.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Booked a table for two at short notice - not many restaurants open on a Monday evening, so we were pleased we could get a table and the reviews seemed good. Walked into the Bar and Grill first and we were told that the restaurant was next door. The Bar and Grill looked good. The welcome in the restaurant was friendly and there was a professional relaxed feel about the place. The meal was truly excellent. Only slight issue was that only one portion of the superb Loin of Venison remained, which, naturally, went to my wife. I was not disappointed however with the Brill, which was also cooked to perfection. The set dinner menu also looked very good value, but we settled on the a la carte on this occasion. Wine choice was good and the desserts were a temptation.
Great service with a very warm and convivial ambience. Not been to too many restaurants in Belfast , but have to say that it would need a lot of tempting to keep us away from JSS now.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I must say that this restaurant stands out for its service and quality of food. It has a bar and grill which we used before we went into the main restaurant. The bar and grill are quite open and seemed a good place for meeting for a quick meal, though we did not eat there. We decided to eat in the main restaurant. The service was excellent though a little minor annoyance for me was being asked 4 times whether I was enjoying my meal by 3 seperate staff. Twice is sufficient. Food was wonderful and atmosphere comfortable. It is as someone else put it, classy but affordable. Will go back without hesitation. Keep up the good service as not many places have it now days.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Highly enjoyable lunch experience. We had the tasting menu which was good value. The staff were very pleasant and put us under no pressure to leave so 3 hours passed very quickly. Wine was great. Service was invisible when appropriate and visibly attentive when needed.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I come from a family of talented amateur cooks, so I am not that easily impressed by so-called fine dining. But I have to say that the meal I had tonight at this restaurant was one of the most impressive, special meals I have every had. The occasion was a family birthday and we went out on a Monday which is a fairly quiet night in Belfast. I ordered fennel and pea soup as a starter, followed by venison and 3 of us shared side orders of champ, green beans and parmesan and fennel and lemon. The food was simply exquisite, every morsel of it. I would have liked some bread with the soup, but that was a minor omission. I had mixed sorbet for dessert and we shared a stunning bottle of lebanese wine which was excellent value.
The service was swift, attentive and good humored, but the star of the show was the food. It was beautifully cooked and presented. The quantity was just enough to fill us and we had a truly memorable evening. I would happily recommend this restaurant for anyone wishing to mark a special occasion.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to JSS Bistro for a bite to eat before going to the Jose Feliciano concert in the Waterfront.

The dining experiece was excellent and the staff really attentive and helpful. We both had burgers with french fries and salad and quite honestly it was one of the nicest meals I have had in a long long time - not outrageously priced. Atmosphere was good.

I will certainly return.