“Authentic Japanese Experience”

Sakura
Ranked #151 of 1,043 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Queen's Quarter
Description: Nestled in Belfast's bustling Botanic Avenue, Sakura Sushi restaurant brings a taste of Tokyo to the city streets of Northern Ireland. Named after Japan's national flower – the cherry blossom – this sweet and shiny sushi restaurant is split over two floors and filled with glazed walnut furniture, a feature floral wall, bright and bubbly background music and cute Japanese lanterns. On the ground floor you can sit at the sushi train and choose from a superb selection of fresh sushi and sashimi or meals such as the salt and chilli sea bass or the roasted pork with curry udon noodles, while upstairs offers a variety of flexible spaces with plush carpets and sliding doors that are perfect for private parties.
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Authentic Japanese Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant on a Sunday evening after looking online for a restaurant and finding many restaurants in Belfast close on Sunday evenings. After being a little bit panicked that we may not find anywhere, we drove around until we found one that was open and it happened to be Sakura. Well, that was a lucky find for us. Parking was easy outside. The place was suprisingly empty with only a few tables occupied, however we were seated in front of the conveyor of food. Not being a fan of that ready made option we made our choices from the menu. Some of the things we ordered were salted fish and deep friend tofu which were delicious. The staff seemed very stern but professional. Quite different to what we were generally used to. It seemed quite quaint to hear the japanese staff speaking with Northern Irish accents.
We both thoroughly enjoyed our food and the waitresses were very efficient with bringing drinks and food.
They didn't rush us but I couldn't help feeling that we shouldn't hang around after we were finished but that might just have been me :-)
I would recommend going there to anyone who llikes Japanese Cuisine, if not there were other restaurants close by to choose from that were open on a Sunday evening too.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank NikiTurner

Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food, terrible service, over-priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I went here last night for a special anniversary meal. We began by ordering tea, one cup was brought between two of us, we then had the sushi train for starters, it was nice but at £3.50 a plate ridiculously overpriced (being one of the few restaurants in Belfast that serves sushi they obviously can get away with charging £3.50 for two small pieces of sushi). I ordered seabass as a main and was brought squid, restaurants get orders wrong at times and this is understandable, I would never give a bad review for that on its own however it was the lack of an apology and unfriendly waiting staff that drove me to write this. I had to wave at the waitress numerous times before she came over, I had put half my dish of rice on the plate before I realised I had been given the wrong dish and this was taken away and no fresh rice was brought when my seabass arrived ( meaning I paid for half a portion I did not receive) I did not receive a 'sorry about that' from any of the serving staff, in fact they seemed rather annoyed at me for sending it back! my husbands meal had went cold by the time my own had arrived ( they had not offered to keep his warm while my correct dish was being prepared) throughout our whole meal not one of the waitresses smiled or appeared friendly, in fact they all looked rather sullen. We paid over £50 for this meal and although the food was nice it was overpriced and the customer service was appalling.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank swailf
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fresh authentic sushi - great value too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went to Sakura for lunch on 12.11.13 and ate from the sushi train. If you like authentic fresh sushi and Japanese food generally then I would recommend this without hesitation. Sushi was super fresh and well made - no Yo Sushi rubbish here. Ordered salmon sashimi from the menu as none out and it was fantastic. Generous slices of ice fresh well cut salmon yum! (Also great value.)
Venue itself very authentic and had a nice buzzy sushi train vibe with very zen Japanese decor. Can usually find car parking spaces on street without too much trouble.

• Visited October 2013
“Quality spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Have been to Sakura a few times now and it gets better with each visit. The food is beautiful and the service is outstanding and its reasonable priced. If your going to call in make sure you try the dumplings - fantastic! Portions are great sized also

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Service, yummy food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This has become a regular of ours. We would have normally gone to the very popular Zen restaurant in Belfast but can find the service a bit hit and miss.

Sakura staff are very pleasant and go out of their way to please. On one occasion we visited one of the staff drew and presented my friend with a birthday card!

My friends had sushi to start (which they all declared to be lovely) but I'm not a fan so I had salted chilli squid - yummy.

We had a variety of mains which everyone enjoyed. My only (very small) criticism was that my main dish of honey chilli chicken came served on the plate I was meant to eat from. As there was so much sauce my rice almost got lost when I added it. Very tiny issue though.

I also had the Sakura non-alcoholic cocktail which was amazing and worth a try!

• Visited October 2013