“Very interesting”

and up
City Sightseeing Belfast Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with 48-Hour Pass
Ranked #1 of 229 things to do in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crumlin Road Gaol dates back to 1845 and closed it's doors as a working prison in 1996. After extensive renovations the gaol has re opened as a visitor attraction and conference centre. Today you can take a guided tour of the prison and hear about the history of the site from when women and children were held within it's walls through to the political segregation of republican and loyalist prisoners and learn about why the decision was taken to close the prison.During the tour of the gaol you will be taken by your tour guide to visit the underground tunnel that used to connect the gaol to the Crumlin Road Courthouse, you will get a chance to sit in the Governor's chair, view all the wings from the circle and of course pay a visit to the condemned mans cell before seeing the execution cell where the majority of the 17 men were hanged.
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

This was a great tour and Sarah was brilliant, very interesting tour all together I especially like the tunnel ! thanks a mill!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

On a recent visit to Belfast we did the bus tour and got off at a few attraction spots however I must say the tour of the jail was THE best by far made all the more interesting by our tour guide Sarah who was very knowledgable and a charming wee girl.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

I really enjoyed my tour, it was fun and scary our tour guide Ian was great, I hope to do a paranormal night.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

I returned to my hometown of Belfast to celebrate a very significant birthday with family and was taken on this tour by my sister and cousins. I grew up in Belfast during the worst of the troubled times but have lived in Africa and Asia since 1981. Although I have been home many times over the past 33 years, I have never really taken time to see my home as others do. Happily I never saw the inside of the Gaol until the tour yesterday !!! While it was a fascinating and often funny tour (thanks to the tour guide Gary) it also brought chills down my spine at times and some of the stories we heard about life there in the gaol over the years brought a tear or two to my eyes. I learnt a little more about my home in the few hours at Crumlin Road Gaol and would recommend it to everyone, both tourists and local people who have never taken the time to visit.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Great tour guide Kieran with deadpan humour and interesting facts Tour over an hour in duration Glad we went !