“Great Tour!”

and up
City Sightseeing Belfast Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with 48-Hour Pass
Ranked #1 of 232 things to do in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crumlin Road Gaol dates back to 1845 and closed it's doors as a working prison in 1996. After extensive renovations the gaol has re opened as a visitor attraction and conference centre. Today you can take a guided tour of the prison and hear about the history of the site from when women and children were held within it's walls through to the political segregation of republican and loyalist prisoners and learn about why the decision was taken to close the prison.During the tour of the gaol you will be taken by your tour guide to visit the underground tunnel that used to connect the gaol to the Crumlin Road Courthouse, you will get a chance to sit in the Governor's chair, view all the wings from the circle and of course pay a visit to the condemned mans cell before seeing the execution cell where the majority of the 17 men were hanged.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I toured the jail when it first opened to the public, it was fantastic! Lots to see and hear, guide was very informative. Would be great if they could have the court house too!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I went here with my family, that is my parents and my 14 year old brother and 19 year old brother. It was such a great day out! The tour guide was entertaining and informative, the building was amazing and there were loads of interesting, scary and sad stories to hear. Maybe not appropriate for very young children, but brilliant for older children, I loved it!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Decided at last minute to get off hop on hop off bus tour & didn't regret it. I have been to many jails including Alcatraz & Melbourne & to be honest when they drew back the bookcase in the condemned cell & it revealed the hangman's noose I got a cold chill. The whole tour was great includes Shanklin & Falls Road & saw all the peace wall murals. Included the Titanic quarter where we stayed & got to see Stormont Estate & Grounds... very good value!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well worth a visit! Very interesting and a little creepy!
Nothing not to like . Guide was very informative and there a lots and lots of stories to be shared!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I really enjoyed the Crumlin Road Gaol. We had Harry as our tour guide and he clearly knew his stuff inside out and we got to hear lots of little stories, including where the terms "hangover" and "take him down" originated! I've lived in Belfast for 6 years and this is the first 'touristy' thing I have done and it made me realize we have some pretty cool things right on our doorstep and I needa do more!

Wear flat shoes and warm clothes as there are some uneven surfaces and it was warmer outside than it was inside on the Sunday in April we went! Tour lasts 1hr and 15mins and was £7.50 per adult. I found this to be reasonable and a good amount of time to explain everything. Questions were welcomed throughout and answered very well.