“Creeperama!”

and up
City Sightseeing Belfast Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with 48-Hour Pass
Ranked #1 of 230 things to do in Belfast
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crumlin Road Gaol dates back to 1845 and closed it's doors as a working prison in 1996. After extensive renovations the gaol has re opened as a visitor attraction and conference centre. Today you can take a guided tour of the prison and hear about the history of the site from when women and children were held within it's walls through to the political segregation of republican and loyalist prisoners and learn about why the decision was taken to close the prison.During the tour of the gaol you will be taken by your tour guide to visit the underground tunnel that used to connect the gaol to the Crumlin Road Courthouse, you will get a chance to sit in the Governor's chair, view all the wings from the circle and of course pay a visit to the condemned mans cell before seeing the execution cell where the majority of the 17 men were hanged.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great tour. Went as a hanger on with the Fulbright Scholars. Roy is an excellent tour guide, informative and entertaining. Read the other reviews to find out about the tour, it's a rainy night in Belfast, snow is forcast and I'm too tired :(

2  Thank travellingsilently
There are newer reviews for Crumlin Road Gaol

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is an excellent visit that brings an aspect of the history of Belfast to life. Our guide Roy was excellent in combining fact and detail with good auld Belfast banter. A trip that will be enjoyed by many people. I am looking forward to booking for the paranormal visit. Well done to everyone involved with this project.

2  Thank TrekkerCo_Down
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Brilliant guided tour of the gaol, really interesting with loads of stories and facts. Next time we'll come at night for the ghost hunt!

1  Thank Melchiot
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Guided Tour of a Prison, very interesting with some notable inmates over the years, a chill at the execution chamber and the conditions that existed years ago opened the eyes

1  Thank IAN W
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband, myself and our 2 daughters aged 7 and 10 visited The Crum at the end of December. We were over from Brisbane visiting family. We were completely enthralled with the tour. Couldn't believe how Victorian this prison still was. Our guide was brilliant. Full of great information and interesting facts about the prison. The atmosphere created made it so easy to imagine the feelings of those just arrived and the utter loneliness of the children incarcerated there. I know that some people have commented on the lack of focus on the politcal prisoners of the troubles but I felt this was perfectly well handled, neither overly dramatised (which must have been a tempation) nor ignored.

I would have loved to do the night time tour and I believe the venue is starting to do weddings! I think this is a great success for Belfast and well worth a visit.

When asked at the end of our holiday in Northern Ireland, both of my daughters voted 'The Crum' as the highlight and they had been to several other attractions all very much enjoyed.

1  Thank Fitzyfolkontour