“Great steak”

Ranked #116 of 1,155 Restaurants in Belfast
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were staying in belfast for a few nights and friends had recommended this bar and we weren't disappointed. The food was great,and I can definitely recommend the steak. There was live music and the staff were lively. The food was a bit slow at coming out but the atmosphere more than made up for that.

I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

McHugh's is a favourite of mine when in Belfast. Been there three times in three years and the food never disappoints. It's as simple as that. We found the staff very friendly on a tough weekend weather wise in March 2013. They were very accommodating and flexible with the menus and times of early bird as they had very few in that night due to the weather which was the sign of good customer service. Another time I was there was a glorious summers evening and it was packed for a football match and the atmosphere was great.

Try their calypso coffees!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

In with a friend after a long time away from Belfast and the starter came up brilliantly. Service was spot-on, the drinks were good and all looked great. But then my "sausage, champ, kale and Yorkshire pudding arrived". Initially the drink slowed my reaction but then the absence of the Yorkshire pudding was noted and mentioned to the waiter; he came back and offered me a roll and butter. Then, after he'd returned with the roll to the kitchen - which I didn't really want and wasn't much of a substitute for the pudding - I mentioned the lack of kale and the insertion of carrots. And finally, on my way out, I pointed out that it wasn't actually champ at all but basically mashed potato. So, McHughs sell "sausage, mashed potato and carrots" as "sausage, champ, kale and Yorkshire pudding". And it's not actually the same, is it? I like the place but it pretty much looks like they don't care what they sell and I'm not sure that the chef has bothered reading his menu. And no matter that the waiter was clearly embarrassed by the inaccuracy, in the end, what what delivered wasn't what was ordered.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This might be a great pub for a drink but it is terrible for food. Had lunch there today and it was the worst food I've had in Belfast.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have eaten here many times and the food is excellent. wonderful old building, one of if not the oldest bar in belfast, Lots of great bands play here. Although sometimes when the band is rehearsing and they have music playing in the bar at same time it can be deafening. I suggest the bar switsh the music off. Great traditional music session on a saturday free