“Pre Mrs Brown @ Odyssey 5/12/12 630pm”

McHughs Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 1,097 Restaurants in Belfast
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Thought we would eat at McHughs prior to Mrs Brown concert. Had eaten there before which was a pleasant experience. Ordered a couple of their christmas dinners - really disappointed. Food was at best slightly warm. Stuffing was a paste mess. It took quite a long time to serve and we did not complain nor did we give staff opportunity to rectify as it may have kept us late for the show. Were not even offered cranberry? It is a pity - this is a beautiful setting.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was in a business party and selected McHughs Belfasts oldest bar for this lunch. The premises are really spectacular and visually interesting. It has a vaulted ceiling and old exposed wood beams. The immediate impression is of a very old bar which opened about 1720. It is a Grade 1 Listed building by the way so worth a visit for that reason alone. Its a great place for a drink.One huge wall has a massive painting on masonry depicting the area and people in past times. Barman upstairs was very very friendly. I thought the meal was rather slow to appear given there were few people there. The vegetable soup tasted good but was luke warm. The turkey ham and stuffing tasted very average and the amount served was skimpy for the price. I was unimpressed by serving the main course in a large soup dish, TV chefs use the wrong dishes for serving and the idea has caught hold in McHughs.. Thankfully nothing was served on a chopping board or roof slate which is another trend in N Ireland.The creamed potato was good quality but the roasted potato was leathery indicating it had been sitting around for a long time and was overcooked with bits burnt black. Chips for the group came in another soup dish as did mixed fresh vegetables. Botanic Inns please revert to using dinner plates and side plates. Why soup bowls for turkey!!! It DOES NOT look better served in a soup bowl? Christmas pudding and a light custard was fabulous and easily the star part of the meal. So overall I was underwhelmed by this meal and next year will book nearby Nicks restaurant.

1  Thank Nigel H
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We went to McHughes for our christmas dinner and I was very dissapointed in the quality. The staff were very attentive and friendly however they were let down big time with the quality of the food. I wasn't impressed with the choice in the menu as it was a bit boring and it cost £29.95 with £3 extra for a steak.... I had the smoked salmon starter. It arrived with shop bought wheaten bread (I know the brand) with creamed cheese on it (????), tasteless smoked salmon and tasteless red onion. Next was the steak. It arrived smothered in pepper sauce which I was dissapointed with as I always like my sauce on the side. It arrived with undercooked roast potatoes which were hard in the middle, tasteless champ and overcooked vegetables. At least the chips were good. The steak was tough and yet again tasteless. I reckon the reason that the chef smothered it in pepper sauce is that he was hoping to disguise the taste of the boring steak. I can cook a far better steak at home. The next was the lemon posset pudding. The choc chip biscuit didn't really go with it but it was actually a really good pudding. For £36 (including 10% service charge) I felt well and truly ripped off and dissapointed. Needless to say I will not be back. I had steak again the following night at Lisbarnett House (to make up for the crap steak the night before) and OMG McHughes chefs could learn alot from Lisbarnett.

1  Thank JANAH186470
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Unbeknowst to us at the time, Mc Hughs is the oldest surviving pub in Belfast and it was lovely! Went in after a walk around the Titanic Museum for a drink and a bit to eat. Had a drink to pass the time until restaurant opened at 5 - bar man was very nice and helpful and reserved a table for us upstairs. There was live music downstairs in the pub which was nice. Headed upstairs after the drink for some food. Got the Chicken Cobbler dish and it was lovely! Very filling! Boyfriend got the bangers and mash (can't remember proper menu name) which was nice too. Quirky artwork kept me amused.

1  Thank Gmt2013
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a lovely find. We had fantastic Bruschetta and then fish or pork belly followed by a yummy dessert!

But this is a lovely place that gives you a warm welcome and the brilliant atmosphere hits you as soon as you arrive!

Highly recommended - and it is in the oldest building in Belfast!