“Spot the chorizo”

Ranked #134 of 1,129 Restaurants in Belfast
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Lets start at the beginning. One Wednesday lunchtime I phoned to reserve a table for 5pm that evening. The way the person himmed and hahed you'd have thought they were very busy and had trouble finding a table for 2. Only for having a voucher I would have hung up. Anyway we arrived at 5pm andfound a party of 4 and a single table. Not exactly crammed in. Then there was the menu. I always like to view the web menu before I go. Their menu was slightly different to what was on the web so I couldn't have my first choice. My wife chose the sirloin steak and enjoyed it. Full marks there. I chose baked chicken with chorizo, peppers and paprika with mashed potato. I've had this dish at many other restaurants. The chorizo was almost non existent. I called the waiter over and was nformed that the 3mm squares (about 5 of them) were the chorizo. Funny, everywhere else had large chucnky slices. The mas had a skin on it at the top and was a bit watery at the bottom. Then because I had money left on the voucher we got a dessert. Ginger cake and custard good. Bread and buter pudding and whiskey cream. Small portion of pudding and not much flavour off the cream.
So much for the food. The decor was a little stragne. Every chair was a different design. Might be "trendy" but looked like a lot from an auction or jumble sale. Table tops weren't much better. The cd playing was (a) too loud and (b) not very appropriate music choices for this kind of restaurant. I think it must have been one of the staff's favourite cd's.
Sory, I'll not be back.

1  Thank brian_t_snail

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The food is great. The food is always great. Just sometimes when you're in there you realise the din is just ridiculous. Having lost the softer furnishings when revamped from Alden's eatery there is nothing to absorb what some refer to atmosphere and over 40's call just too loud. It is maybe time to refresh the menu too, as a frequent diner I'm circling over the same dishes like a seagull behind KFC. It also sometimes takes just tooooooo long to get the bill, but because the chef can cook, it's a favourite.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Went out to this restaurant for Sunday lunch.

Very good food but a bit noisy, maybe carpet would help.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We met friends at Neills hill for weekend brunch recently - having also had a Saturday brunch here before Christmas. We have been here quite a number of times for dinner and have always really enjoyed the food - although service is not always great and can be slow- that said the standard of evening food has usually compensated for the wait. My partner and I had waffles and bacon today - the restaurant was out of maple syrup so they explained in advance that the breakfast would be served with honey which was not an issue. Breakfast came out - each dish seemed to be one waffle cut in half (tasted totally processed and as if it had been heated up from a pre-made / purchased packet) and two bits of overcooked and not particularly nice bacon. Luckily we had porridge at home before heading for brunch otherwise we would have left very hungry! We had a similarly underwhelming breakfast experience before Christmas when service was extremely slow - when my breakfast eventually came - the eggs benedict was probably one of the worst I have had - hollandaise sauce was not good and a very thick cheap processed ham was used- again not what I expected having had such great food in Neills hill in the evening. We concluded after today's breakfast - that we will stick to evening visits to Neills hill which it continues to do well overall.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went to Neills Hill for a meal with a group of friends, I had been looking forward to going due to good word of mouth and the menu looked good. However once our food arrived I was a little let down by the taste. My meal looked slapped together at the last minute with fries from burger king and the Lamb Burger was barely cooked. The other meals on the table looked better prepared but having chatted after most said it was style over substance.

The atmosphere is nice and the staff are friendly but I feel like the food lets it down.