“change of ownership” 3 of 5 bubbles

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“change of ownership”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We are regular visitors to whites tavern, we went yesterday sat 1st march for the usual 2 course lunch for 2 and wine for 25 pound and love the live music only to be informed it has changed ownership and no live music and the menu had changed, the variety of choice was disappointing and pricey for things on offer. Chips are £3 for the smallest of portions.. and they had 3 different ways for maccaroni and cheese.. new owners need to reaslise it is a pub lunch people want and not fancy bistro things

Visited March 2014
1 Thank laura m

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Traditional at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went to Whites last Saturday, we had heard about it and where very surprised to find a real traditional Belfast pub/restaurant. They had live music with a great atmosphere. Toilets very clean and we where told were only renovated recently, We had a great late lunch. Soup and stew starter for myself and my wife followed by delicious poached fish and mussels. As to be expected with the oldest bar the Guinness was very good, staff very friendly and where all locals not transplanted workers. Great time great food. Recommend!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank William C
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“unbelievably rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was in Whites last Saturday (14 December) for a couple of hours. I bought a round of drinks for myself and my friends, and when I brought them back to our table, realised that what I thought was two pints of Magners was actually two pints of Carlsberg.

I brought the two pints back to the bar, politely said that an innocent mistake had been made, and asked for two pints of Magners. I was told that if I wanted Magners I would have to pay again. This really shocked me.

The barman I was talking to gave me a few reasons why he wouldn't replace them free of charge, including "you've drunk a bit of them". Less than 1cm was gone from the top of the glass - just enough for me to determine that it was _not_ what I ordered.

I ended up paying for two new pints, and mentioned to the barman that I hoped the small profit margin on two more pints would be worth losing me as a customer forever.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Ciaran L
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Real dissapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Called into Whites tavern as I've done on many occasions whilst visiting Belfast City Centre. Love its old world charm. So its with a heavy heart I feel compelled to write a poor review. Firstly, staff. Please look up acknowledge your customers and put your back into it.!! Never seen as lack lustre staff in my life. Secondly. Your a Gem of a pub in the heart of Belfast and a real tourist attraction. Get your food sorted out, what I seen being served up to tourists sitting beside me almost made me cry with embarrassment. Thirdly and finally, its Christmas do something about your abissmal decorations. They look like they were thrown into a skip and someone rescued them.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank 748frankie
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Time Machine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Every time I go here I feel like I'm about to get into a fight with a pirate.

It's not rough or anything, but it just reminds me of one of those old pubs from the 1800's or Mrs Miggin's pie shop or something.

It's small (or cosy if you think that's a real word), pleasant and serves alcohol.

Visited December 2012