“Home away from home”
Review of Kate's B&B

Kate's B&B
Ranked #40 of 52 Belfast B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Contrary to negative postings, we had the best time at Kate's place. The homey ambience and genuine hospitality of Kate and her husband is such a wonderful experience. My sons were so at home with them and Kate went the extra mile to make them feel welcome. The food was great with large servings and they have the best brewed coffee.

Kate even helped us organized our trip and saved us a lot of £££ as tourist not knowing where and how to go, she helped us enjoy Northern Ireland's beautiful places and must see.

Thanks for the wonderful time in N Ireland, Kate.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank nurserecruit07

Reviewed June 16, 2010

Myself and my friend, Jaz, stayed at Kate's for one night. It was exactly what we'd hoped for and more! The B&B was so cozy and homely. Kate was lovely and welcoming, sort of motherly, and the room was amazing! It had sort of homely decor with free fruit and biscuits, a really comfy bed. Kind of like going to stay at a grandmother's house, a grandmother who is really kind and does her best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I would say it was one of the highlights of our stay! I've stayed in places all over the world, from the Ritz Carlton in Orlando, to the Inn at Harvard in Boston so have quite a good eye for nice B&Bs and hotels. Kate's has character and charm, it's none of your monotonous boring huge chain hotel crap, great value, beautiful location in the leafy suburbs of Queen's. Would go back without a doubt and recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Have booked to go to Belfast again in May 2010 after a weekend there in March 2008 when we stayed at Kate's B&B. Only writing this because I checked out of curiosity to see if the place was still open and, amazingly, it is still going strong. All the criticisms I have read in previous reviews are absolutely spot on. The interior of the house was like the old TV programme "Rising Damp", only with more dusty clutter throughout. Kate asked us for our money upfront before we'd even got into our room which we'd pre-booked and for which we'd sent a deposit before a few weeks beforehand. We love to stay in B&Bs and I've never encountered an owner with such an attitude and such a grubby house before or since. Gives B&B a bad name.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank Bedandbreakfastfan24
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I would not recommend Kate's B&B for your stay. We are traveling all around the UK, Scotland and Northern Ireland on business purposes, staying in B&B's, so have seen many different ones. Kate's B&B is on the list of "NOT TO BE VISITED AGAIN".
Owners are friendly, but the way they run their service is horrible.
Old house, outside adv is in bad condition, on first look "owner just does not care", after opening the front door you get a smoke and cat urine smell punch, corridor and all rooms are dark, overfurnished, cleanliness is not too special, cat hairs you can find in your bed as well as in your cup, breakfast (compared to many other B&B's) under average (just half of the typical English cooked breakfast OR cornflakes), the floor in all house is creaking, so you can hear every step of your neigbour as well as you can hear cat behind your door trying to get in . Things need to be fixed are done in an improvising style.
Rooms are non en-suite, shared bathroom and toilet with all floor.
Our company doesn't care much about accommondation for their staff, so they always book this nightmare for us, we often cancel as much as possible.
WE ABSOLUTELY DONT LIKE IT!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank AndyKa74
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I stayed for one night in kate's b n b and would never repeat the experience. I suffer from asthma and when I complained that I was having difficulty breathing due to the smoke the owner asked what did I expect him to do about it. When I paid for my room the "house rules stated that there was no smoking that didn't stop the owner and her husband from puffing away in the lounge and stinking out the corridors. The response to my complaint was to go else where ( ay 11p.m. at night). I got out of there first thing I have never encountered such terrible customer service or disregard for guests comfort and well being. Avoid at all costs is your a non smoker!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Collyftb
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night 27th Oct 09 with my friend.Initially we were supposed to be booked into the hotel accross the road, but a mix up on the hotel's behalf and not very helpful.We crossed the road to Kate's B&B and how welcome we were made. Kate is very nice and our room was a family room -clean and comfortable. Coffee & tea facilities including lovely biscuits & fresh fruit! Breakfast was very nice as was the service, warm and friendly.
As for any cat smells I did not find this on my visit and I would not describe the B&B as a 'dump' . My friend &I will definitly stay here again in a few weeks time! Looking forward to seeing Kate!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gretts
Reviewed September 1, 2009

For young travellers on a budget, this place is brilliant. The hostess is kind and very helpful. If you don't want the so-called heart attack breakfast (which, by the way, most travellers apparently insist on), then ask for cereal and yoghurt, it is not compulsory. For the price and location, it is unbeatable.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo