Merchant Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$163
Ten Square(Belfast)
$234
$128
  • Restaurant
Ibis Belfast City Centre(Belfast)(Great Value!)
$143
$113
$109
Hotwire.com
2,697 results
All reviewscocktail barart decogreat roomafternoon teahot tubcloth earvictorian roomberts jazz barulster bankrooftop jacuzzipure luxuryturn down servicebeautiful hotelhuge bathroomstar hoteltrufflebirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Myself and my husband stayed at The Merchant for 1 night. The hotel is luxurious and a quiet oasis in the centre of Belfast. There are great shops within a few minutes walk - the restaurant serves delicious food at a reasonable rate and the service is excellent. There is also parking available at the hotel. Would definitely return!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank fluirse
Reviewed July 13, 2007

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our first wedding anniversary in style so we decided to book into Belfast's new " 5star " hotel. We arrived shortly after 7pm and were greeted by the very friendly concierge William who parked our car and took our bags to the bedroom. The entrance into the hotel is via a side door and is quite dark and not at all grand as one may expect. The decor inside the hotel is beautiful and we had no complaints about the bedroom itself just to say that there is strangely no minibar.
We had made reservations for dinner in the hotels main restaurant. The service here was incredibly poor - too long between courses, very small portions and poor advice from the waiting staff about the dishes. For our main course we ordered the Chateaubriand which is £60 between two. The meat itself was very succulent but not enough for two people. Also, we did not order any side dishes as our waiter told us there was enough in our dish alone. Our meal cost us £150 and we were still hungry!
The Merchant Hotel looks like a 5* hotel but the service is more like a 3* hotel. One expects that little bit of extra attention in a 5* hotel but we did not feel that we received the level of service that is required.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2007

I recently enjoyed a stay in the decadent surroundings of the Merchant Hotel in Belfast.
The building is impressive and luxuriously decorated, it felt quite special and that feeling
was enhanced by the attentive and considerate staff.
My room was beautiful and a generous size with an en suite to match. In fact my only
complaint is that I was only there for one night. I have enjoyed the cocktail lounge but
have yet to try the restaurant. I am back in Belfast next month
with guests and will suggest we all stay at the Merchant. I look forward to going back.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank poloC
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Firstly, this is an objective review, nothing more, nothing less.

Belfast born and bred, I made the fatal mistake of not checking out what Trip Advisor had to say, after all, I live here!

The Merchant was launched a year ago amongst a blaze of publicity....Belfast City Centre's first 5star hotel. The building is truly outstanding - it was previously the headquarters of the Ulster Bank and dates back well over 100 years.

With this in mind Mrs Chucklers & I chose to have our small private wedding reception here after visiting the Merchant in person briefly several months previous. We were shown around by the very engaging concierge Billy, who was able to give a great history lesson about the rooms and features of the hotel. The receptionist was also helpful on this day.

So...to the main event...our special day....

I had previously booked the car in to the 'private car park' (turns out it is an outdoor lock up around the corner), so pulled up outside the hotel. There was no-one about so I had to jump out, leaving the car on 'double yellows' and run in to the reception to find out where to go - I met the aforementioned Billy who took my keys and luggage, parked the car, and showed us to our room.

The room - a bit dark for our liking but absolutely gorgeous. It had 2 large flat screen tvs (although one of them didn't have much of a reception), fantastic bathroom and a very large bed. It was very tastefully decorated throughout.

We had enjoyed excellent email communication throughout with Jill at reservations (very efficient), regarding our wedding arrangements. Being a 5star hotel we had perhaps anticipated a glass of champagne to wish us on our way.......nothing.......however, a maid did arrive with a bucket of ice for the 2 small bottles of water that were in the room!!!! There was no mini bar either.......not good when the bride to be wants to settle her nerves!

We had pre-arranged the Bentley service to take us to and from the City Hall, and it was wonderful - the driver Hammy was a true gentleman and made us feel so special and welcome.

Wedding service over, we returned to the hotel.

On entering the hotel no-one greeted us, congratulated us or showed us where to go for our private reception - Mr Chucklers had to go looking for the champagne that we had arranged for our guests. When the champagne arrived Mrs Chucklers was the last girl to be served!!!! Perhaps the ivory wedding dress wasn't a big enough clue!!!
One of our guests wasn't a big champers drinker and asked the barman for a bottle of Bud....to be told, with a very dismissive voice, 'we don't serve that kind of beer here'. I was so embarrassed!

After the champagne we had requested the cocktail menu for everyone. The cocktails were excellent, however it did take c 25 minutes preparation (this was for 8 cocktails).

We had chosen the private dining room which holds up to 15 people - perfect for the 8 of us!

The food was absolutely wonderful - every course was perfect in every detail - hats off to the Chef!

The private waiter service started off well but as the evening progressed he seemed to go missing! Mr Chucklers had to serve the wine and when our bottles were empty had to go to the bar and ask for some service...to be told at the Cocktail Bar 'that's nothing to do with us, it's the Great Room that are looking after you'!!!!!!

After a wonderful dinner and great craic, naturally the ladies had to powder their noses - this meant walking through the Great Room restaurant. However (unbeknown to us),.........on entering they discovered the restaurant had been taken over by a very large film crew.
Great for the Hotel's kudos I am sure..... however, some snotty nosed film assistant told the girls (one of whom was 7 1/2 months pregnant) to 'shhhh' , made them wait until the scene was finished and then allowed them at last, to go to the toilet. Furthermore she waited outside the cubicle doors until they had finished!!!!!!

Overall, it was a very mixed experience - notably, many of their staff do not understand the importance of customer relations.
It has a 5star+ setting and decor to match, but the service in general is more in the 2-3 star bracket - extremely disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chucklers
Reviewed June 13, 2007

Dropped into the cocktail bar a few weeks ago on a Sat afternoon for a few drinks. I''m a bit of a cocktail maniac, and I must say I was blown away by the standard of the list, the preparation and the service of the drinks. They have a huge emphasis on the authenticity of the experience; they are consciously trying to evoke a world of pre-prohibition decadence and escape and the attention to detail pays off.

The bartender who served us initially was superb, he knew his drinks, his manner was well-judged, polite and friendly but not intrusive, which can be a danger of sitting at the bar. When he heard I was fond of cocktails he promptly invited me along to a night being given by the mixologists from Milk and Honey in NY, a legend in the cocktail world.

In short it was a fantastic hour or two, and I'll do it again soon.

The decor's lovely, and the door-staff are polite, a rare luxury in Belfast. My only quibbles were the replacement bartender who took over at 6pm, who was nothing like so friendly or capable, though he still knew what he was doing. The waiter was a bit sarky too, but you can't have everything, and I find it easy enough to ignore someone like him. Some people might get riled though.

I say think of your glass as half-full, until it's empty, then order another.

• Stayed: May 2007