“Luxurious, great service, helpful staff, beautiful room, fabulous food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Northern Ireland
“Luxurious, great service, helpful staff, beautiful room, fabulous food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

My husband and I treated ourselves to a night here on New Years day. We live only 10miles from Belfast but wanted a bit of pampering after all the hard work leading up to Christmas. It wasn't cheap but we got it on a bit of an offer with dinner included. We certainly wouldn't be staying more than one night at a time but it was well worth the extra. The surroundings are magnificent, the staff very friendly and the food really lovely. The breakfast is served to you and you must try the porridge, it's to die for! It isn't on the prettiest of streets but is right in the centre of Belfast, 5mins walk from the new Victoria Centre and Royal Avenue where most of the shops are. I am looking forward to the new additions to the Hotel ie the spa etc and will definately be back then. It was my son and daughter in law had recommended it to us as they had stayed on Christmas Eve and they woke to Christmas stockings with lovely goodies! If you like a bit of luxury and some pampering, you have to try this Hotel and make sure you look for their special offers.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

Really enjoyed my New Year at this Hotel!! Will be back! Thanks to all the Staff for making it so special!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

We were in Belfast for Christmas and wanted to go for a special lunch out with our 18 month old daughter. We went on boxing day on a set menu for £37.50 each. There was also a kids menu for £7 for 2 courses but she'd already eaten as this menu hadn't been advertised - shame!

The grand room is gorgeous and makes you feel very special with the big candelier and plush seats, etc.

We both had 3 courses which were throughly enjoyable! The service and attention to detail was exceptional and they were a lot more kid friendly than I had anticipated, there were plenty of families in there and the kids were not seen as a problem.

I'm just sorry we couldn't afford to stay over as I'm sure the excellent service would have continued. Highly recommended and if we end up back in Belfast next Christmas I'm going to try and go on Christmas day!!!

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

I have travelled the world and this hotel in not to be rivalled. It oozes old world glamour and is worth every penny. Our party of 4 had 2 suites, we had the Friel suite, and it was so good I did not want to leave it the whole stay. We travelled to and from home in the Merchant Bentley, the nicest driver I have ever come across. If you like unadulterated luxury, top notch food and first class service and don't mind paying for it, this is the spot for you!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank LydiaMEmerson
N Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Stayed in the Merchant for one night - booked through Expedia at a cost of £160.00 which I felt was still very expensive but my husband really wanted to experience this 5 star hotel.
Maybe I am being mean but I dont need someone to accompany me to the room and show me where the wardrobe is and the bathroom. The fact that he never showed us how the TV worked or explained why there was a DVD player confused me ...what was the point ? or was it his hestitation when he expected a tip ...for what???
The room was small, furnished with "antique" furniture and quite honestly dark and gloomy. No tea/coffe making facilities...no bottled water am I just not sophisticated enough to undertsand how 5 star hotels operate.? ..ie YOU the guest should be privileged to stay with us - is that how it works?
We went to the cocktail bar where a local guy behind the bar was mixing cocktails again it must be me but are cocktail staff not meant to be "lively, entertaining, even dare I say chatty" this one had all the charm of a brick. Questions on the variety of cocktails were met with monosyllable answers. The only time he livened up was to tell us how many titles he had won competitions...obviously not based on personality.
We paid £16.00 for two VERY small Irish coffees which took 15 minutes to make ...Yes I know its a 5 star hotel but does that mean that you have to get ripped off?
I have stayed in 4 star hotels which would knock the socks off this place ...not on looks as the inside of the hotel is beautiful but in relation to room quality, staff and pricing. No harm to the Merchant but the 5 star hotels in S Ireland would put them to shame.
On the plus side the staff at breakfast were really nice and helped us choose from a fantastic menu the food at breakfast could not be faulted.
So if you want to stay in a 5 star hotel - my advise, for what its worth is go South and get real value for money , I came away felling feeling slighlty patronised and with a sense that I didnt get value for money ..even at that price.

1 Thank Hermissa
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

We just stayed at the merchant for 2 days when over for a wedding. We had booked tis hotel after my husband enjoyed a stay with business a couple of years ago. The hotel is absolutely stunning and the rooms spectacular! The staff were all very helpful and attentive.
The downside. On our first night we were kept awake for about 2 hours with noise from the hotels own bar/nightclub - it became clear why the hotel put ear plugs at the bedside! We didn't complain as hoped it would be a one off. The following night the music was absolutely thumping through our room. I phoned FOUR times to complain - each time the boy on the end of the phone said he would walk about to see where the noise was coming from and perhaps the TV in the room next door!!!! Eventually my husband called very irrate after we were getting nowhere! There is no way we were the first ever to call and complain so the boy obviously thought we were very naive trying to bluff to us the music was coming from a next door room!!! The night manager then came to our room and offered to take us to "a suite" on the top floor to get some sleep so we took him up on his offer. He opened the door to a twin room for us (after spending £180 a night to come on a romantic break with my husband a twin room wasn't exactly what we'd hoped for) and in addition - the room wasn't even as nice as our own and by no means a suite (we realised on lift after that floor 4 was suites and they put us up to floor 5!). Anyway. We stayed in that room for a restless 2 hours then made our way back to our own room to try get some sleep after the club closed. We each had about 1 hour sleep that night.
The next day we complained to reception. The girl at reception was lovely and very helpful but we couldn't feel let down when their only compensation to us was 1 night stay in the hotel in the future - surely better management would have maybe taken some money off our bill or even taken a night stay off our bill considering we had spent £180 on food and drink etc in hotel during our stay!!!!). When travelling a few hours to get to ther hotel it is not a cheap option for us to come back for ONE night!!!
My only other complaint was poor service in the hotel bar - when spending £25 for 2 drinks you imagine you will get quick service. We sat for 40 minutes waiting on someone to take our order and when noone came we eventually went to bar ourselves to order!!
We tried to call room service and reception for 30 minutes one day to order champagne to the room - nooone ever answered so we ended up walking to bar ourselves to order it!
Also, when staying at a hotel like this I think charging £15 a day for parking is extortionate. Any other hotels of this calibre we have stayed it would always be free parking to guests.

On plus side, the hotel really is beautiful and staff were all VERY friendly and helpful. The hotel manager should maybe consider doing something to cut out the noise levels in the room, ear plugs are not sufficient - if on a romantic trip away (which is what this hotel is targeted at) wearing ear plugs to bed is perhaps not the most romantic!! As i said earlier, at £180 a room you do expect to get a restful night sleep!

So if you like luxury and don't mind a noisy room and don't mind lengthy bar waits or room service waits - you will love this hotel!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank strumore
Newry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

Everything is 5 star from you arrive til u leave havent one complaint.. Just cant wait to go back

1 Thank RosellaNewry