“Beautiful hotel but NOISY rooms!”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Scotland
“Beautiful hotel but NOISY rooms!”
Reviewed December 26, 2009

We just stayed at the merchant for 2 days when over for a wedding. We had booked tis hotel after my husband enjoyed a stay with business a couple of years ago. The hotel is absolutely stunning and the rooms spectacular! The staff were all very helpful and attentive.
The downside. On our first night we were kept awake for about 2 hours with noise from the hotels own bar/nightclub - it became clear why the hotel put ear plugs at the bedside! We didn't complain as hoped it would be a one off. The following night the music was absolutely thumping through our room. I phoned FOUR times to complain - each time the boy on the end of the phone said he would walk about to see where the noise was coming from and perhaps the TV in the room next door!!!! Eventually my husband called very irrate after we were getting nowhere! There is no way we were the first ever to call and complain so the boy obviously thought we were very naive trying to bluff to us the music was coming from a next door room!!! The night manager then came to our room and offered to take us to "a suite" on the top floor to get some sleep so we took him up on his offer. He opened the door to a twin room for us (after spending £180 a night to come on a romantic break with my husband a twin room wasn't exactly what we'd hoped for) and in addition - the room wasn't even as nice as our own and by no means a suite (we realised on lift after that floor 4 was suites and they put us up to floor 5!). Anyway. We stayed in that room for a restless 2 hours then made our way back to our own room to try get some sleep after the club closed. We each had about 1 hour sleep that night.
The next day we complained to reception. The girl at reception was lovely and very helpful but we couldn't feel let down when their only compensation to us was 1 night stay in the hotel in the future - surely better management would have maybe taken some money off our bill or even taken a night stay off our bill considering we had spent £180 on food and drink etc in hotel during our stay!!!!). When travelling a few hours to get to ther hotel it is not a cheap option for us to come back for ONE night!!!
My only other complaint was poor service in the hotel bar - when spending £25 for 2 drinks you imagine you will get quick service. We sat for 40 minutes waiting on someone to take our order and when noone came we eventually went to bar ourselves to order!!
We tried to call room service and reception for 30 minutes one day to order champagne to the room - nooone ever answered so we ended up walking to bar ourselves to order it!
Also, when staying at a hotel like this I think charging £15 a day for parking is extortionate. Any other hotels of this calibre we have stayed it would always be free parking to guests.

On plus side, the hotel really is beautiful and staff were all VERY friendly and helpful. The hotel manager should maybe consider doing something to cut out the noise levels in the room, ear plugs are not sufficient - if on a romantic trip away (which is what this hotel is targeted at) wearing ear plugs to bed is perhaps not the most romantic!! As i said earlier, at £180 a room you do expect to get a restful night sleep!

So if you like luxury and don't mind a noisy room and don't mind lengthy bar waits or room service waits - you will love this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank strumore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newry
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Everything is 5 star from you arrive til u leave havent one complaint.. Just cant wait to go back

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosellaNewry
Ireland
Reviewed December 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and couldn't recommend it highly enough. From the initial booking right through to departure, we were treated as very special guests. All the staff were curteous, helpful and seemed genuinely happy to work there - this speaks volumes to me.
I hope we return for all our future anniversaries.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dancer5
Belfast
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I had occasion to book the Merchant Hotel, Belfast as a joint celebration of my wedding anniversary and my birthday.

The hotel is certainly sumptuous and the staff in general were very attentive. The check in desk is small and staffed by one person which led to delays in checking in and out. Our bedroom was elegantly furnished and spacious. It was on the first floor and overlooking a very lively bar called the Spaniard. Prior to settling into the room I asked to be moved due to this fact and was quickly facilitated. The bathrooms in both rooms were again sizeable and very luxurious.

Food wise I found the evening meal a little below the standards that I would expect from an establishment of this calibre however the breakfast redeemed the kitchen as it was fresh, sizeable and very tasty.

I used the valet parking service provided by the hotel at an extra charge of £15. On checking out it was raining heavily and I approached the rear of my car from the nearside to put my bags in the boot. I approached the driver’s door from the rear of my car, the valet parker having opened it for me.

I drove the ten miles home to exit my vehicle to find significant damage to the front bumper. You can see from the photo I have provided this is not the sort of damage that can be inflicted without the knowledge of the driver. I immediately reported the damage to the duty manager informing her that I was fastidious about my car and the damage was not present when left in the hands of the valet parker. She said that she would investigate the matter. Three days later I was informed that both members of staff who had driven my car denied all knowledge of the damage. Hard to believe when you see the damage caused.

The repair centre informed me that the car had probably caught a white painted wall in a glancing blow. Oddly enough the car park used by the Merchant has such a wall. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

What should have been a luxurious and enjoyable stay was ruined and with a repair bill of £465 for the damage on top of the hotels costs this was a very expensive night out. Further I feel that the hotels response impugned my own integrity. This is not how you expect to be treated at a hotel of this calibre.

I wouldn’t darken their doors again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bjayyy
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Fantastic customer servce from the staff!!..best ever in any hotel!. Five Star - yes.

Location - central 'ish' Belfast.
Hotel rooms need sound proofing...our room right opposite Spaniard Bar - kept awake 'till 02:30. Despite requesting a quiet room one month earlier at time of booking. Ear plugs left on bedside tables!....not five star response. Triple glazing might have helped.
Fantastic cocktail bar...decor, atmosphere, staff, service and clientelle.Five Star - yes.

Booked into Great Room restaurant - was handed a 'Christmas Menu' - we did not book the restaurant for an Xmas turkey and stuffing meal. Asked for the A La Carte menu - not much difference between the two. Five Star - No. The Great Room is a fantastic location for a dining experience, a shame the menu did not match.

No tea or coffee making facilities in the room - this is a given for any hotel.
No mini bar/fridge in room. Five star...no.

Overall...the service was outstanding from all staff. I could not think of any improvements.
If the hotel can address the above weak points, I think it would truely be a world-class hotel. A Beautiful building, beautiful decor, stunning dining room, poor menu, poor sound-proofing, wonderful staff.
Cocktails from 7.95 GBP to 900.00 GBP per glass...I kid you not. ( no I did not order a 900 quid cocktail ). Even if you are not staying here...I would recommend the cocktail bar for the experience - a JEM !.

i would not go again unless the above concerns were fixed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aarakis
SELBY, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Reviewed November 19, 2009

This hotel is really something.......its just as my title says!!!

I stayed one night in this hotel for a surprise for my boyfriends birthday! I paid £140 for room 106 (deluxe room) and I couldnt have been more pleased with my choice!

You really have to stay here to find out what its all about, I wouldnt want to say much as its not nice to spoil the surprises that you get from a stay at the merchant!

The location is very good, just round the corner from the town so its nice to go out for a wander.

A taxi from the airport (city) shouldnt cost you more than £10.

We went to Paul Rankins Cayenne restaurant on the evening, this was lush! I would of loved to dine at the hotel too, the food looked amazing!

I would stay at this hotel again at the drop of a hat, so if anyone wants to pay me to stay there Im there!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SELBYLOU
London
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My wife, four month old son and I stayed here on the 15th November 2009 (Room 214). Prior to our stay I requested a cot. Once we had been shown to our room, not only was there a cot, but a steam sterliser, kettle, electric bottle warmer, baby monitors and a baby bath. Having stayed here before we knew the hotel was of 5 star quality, and service like this only reinforces its credentials.

Everything about this hotel is as we remember it (see my review in Feb 2008), including the incredible breakfast. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in NI.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family