“Extremely comfortable art deco room”
Review of Merchant Hotel

Merchant Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had my first visit to this hotel....it wont be my last. Beautiful Victorian building with super modern art deco part. Great hall for breakfast is and old banking hall, really amazing. Stayed in a fourth floor room with two extremely comfortable double beds, fabulous toppers on bed, really soft down pillows and crisp sheets. Free standing bath, huge shower with rose head. Two tvs in room and lovely furniture. My only minor disappointment was that there was no bottled water in the room and i was parched, when i phoned they said it is brought at turn down time, which it was, but had to buy bottle in bar for £4.95 to keep me going.visited gym& spa area looked very nice, especially as they are on roof top. Staff very helpful and friendly.great shopping only minutes away.

Room Tip: I really liked room 428 where I stayed, nice corner room on fourth floor, quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suz2012Dublin
Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were treated to a night at the Merchant for our 30th wedding anniversery. It was a fantastic experience from begining to end. We had a beautiful afernoon tea perfect food and service then the tasting menu which was delicious. Our suite was magnificent the breakfast was lovley. we will defenitley be back soon.

2  Thank buzz2447
Reviewed July 18, 2013

As good if not better than any of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in and I have stayed in most of the top hotels. Good value and one of the best cocktail bars I have tried, very knowledgeable bar staff. Now stay here every time I visit Belfast, walking distance to city centre. Try the Spaniards Inn across the road excellent Guinness.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kevin83
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my wife's and I second stay at the Merchant and both times have been first class, from the minute you step in the front door the service is amazing. We stayed in the Art Deco room which was fantastic and very luxurious. Our booking included a meal in the great room where the food is just as good as the rest of the hotel.
We can not wait to go back.

1  Thank Martyn E
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My sister and my friends had arranged some beauty treatments in the Spa. There was a mix up with the bookings when we arrived but the two girls on reception dealt with us quickly and professionally offering a solution within minutes. We were treated like royalty and our treatments were very relaxing. The Spa is lovely and all the staff are extremely helpful and make you feel special. We left the Spa feeling wonderful and will return for that extra special treat!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ann-Marie B
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Merchant Hotel to celebrate his 40th birthday. From the moment we arrived it was amazing - the attention to detail, the helpfulness and the sheer quality of service was the best I've ever experienced (and I've stayed in the likes of The Hampshire in London, so can compare 5*.)

When we arrived, the Receptionist shook our hands and dealt with our check in swiftly and efficiently. We had arrived a little early so I room wasn't ready, but she took our phone number and promised to call as soon as the room was ready. We went on a bus tour and whilst sat in the lovely Spaniard pub opposite the hotel, our phone rang to say our room was ready (before the 3pm check in time, I might add. Again, they really go out of their way to help you.)

Stephanie the Concierge showed us up to our room and we were pleased to see our bags were already in the room. As for the room... where do I start?! It was like a mini suite, with a long hallway with the bathroom leading off halfway. The size of the bed was humongous - my partner and I had about 3 feet between us in the bed and the sheer comfort of the bed was superb. The lavish furniture and fixtures were sumptuous and the colour scheme really was very romantic and warming. We had two beautiful armchairs in the room and a huge TV, as well as a lovely mirror, free standing lamp and two bedside tables with lovely vintage style lamps. The A/C was lovely to walk into after being out in the 30oC sun all day and it was very quiet as well.

The Great Room really was a joy to eat in - the inclusive breakfast was perfect and everything was cooked to order. The staff were very attentive and the ladies who ran the front of the restaurant were brilliant, especially the red headed lady who was very helpful and welcoming (sorry, I didn't write her name down so can't name her, which I usually like to do when I come across exceptional staff.) We also came to The Great Room for our dinner on our final night in the hotel and we were treated to proper 5* fine dining. We also got the table we asked for as we wanted one a little secluded (again, don't have her name but thanks to the deputy manager with the blonde hair for arranging this.) Our waiter, Csaba, was brilliant and really treated us well - he was attentive, friendly yet unobtrusive and we had some good banter with him between courses. The food was sublime and being a vegetarian, I was so happy to see they had a separate vegetarian menu. I had the polenta for a starter and the open ravioli for my main and both were a delight. My partner had the leek, potato and truffle soup and it was amazing the way they served it - really was a delight. I was also very tasty. I really cannot praise this restaurant enough, but need to move on!

The bar, The Cloth Ear, was lovely - Chris the bar waiter and his brother were brilliant and very friendly. The food is lovely and try the scorpion chilli sauce if you dare - it really, really blows your mouth out!!! I lived in India for years and used to eat raw chillis, but even the scorpion chilli managed to bring tears to my eyes!!! My only complaint about Belfast is that no-one seems to do large glasses of wine - it's 175mls and that's the only size. Puzzling! So what I did was I ordered two glasses and they put it in a larger glass for me. This was more expensive, but at least I didn't have to go back and forth to the bar. The Cocktail Bar was really good and the cocktails were tasty. However, £9.95 for a Cosmopolitan and £4.45 for a can of Guinness was a tad steep. The other reviewers were right, it is overpriced. That said, the staff were brilliant and they come and serve you at the table. The little nibble tray was a nice touch, too. Overall, a nice bar. And many thanks to Jason at the bar, as I dropped my credit card and he returned it to me immediately.

Overall, the stars of The Merchant Hotel are the staff - attentive, courteous, friendly, unobtrusive and they go out of their way without you even asking. Peter the Concierge was brilliant when we inquired about a couple of tourist spots. He turned up at our room with an envelope full of leaflets and print outs. Thank you for that, Peter. And thanks to Stephanie for being so friendly and helpful. Janos Takacs, the Supervisor at The Great Room, was invaluable and really helped me on one occasion when I needed some assistance - he was brilliant. Again Csaba for his brilliant service and banter and to the two ladies heading the restaurant - I am so sorry I can't remember your names, but you were brilliant and do your job so very well. The same for the Receptionists - you are all fab, so thanks. Housekeeping worked hard and our room was spotless, so thanks to all of your.

Basically, a huge thanks to everyone at The Merchant - we won't forget our stay!!!

Room Tip: 214 - almost like a suite with no rooms next to it, so very quiet and just a lovely room to stay in!
4  Thank mogeston
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Well what do i say
Stayed here for a 4 night city break and in the victorian room and this was the best room ive ever stayed in
Bed so big and so good everything was spotless the staff were A1 all of them I cant fault the staff at all
Bar is expensive £12.50 for a large glass of wine (if you want draught beer, then go to the hotel's pub next door The Cloth Ear
Otherwise its £4.45 for a can of Guinness which is a bit of a mickey take really, I dont mind paying extra but for a can ............................
Anyway
Breakfast was great they really do look after you
I would stay again if ever I came back to Belfast its in the best part of Town and walking distance to most things
Great stuff many thanks to Jason / Stephanie / Peter and all the staff thanks for a lovely stay !!!!

2  Thank Tractorfactor