“Merchant Spa”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Merchant Spa”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My partner and I booked the Spa Taster, and from the moment it was booked (was able to do so by email) until the end of the experience, everything was so easy to organise and went smoothly. We were greeted on arrival by the lovely spa receptionist who showed us around and got everything sorted for us, she couldn't have been more helpful and genuinely nice. The hydrotherapy suite was very relaxing, even though it's not massive it definitely has everything you need in a spa - the pool is lovely and warm and has different areas where you can press a sensor to make bubbles for a hot tub effect, or for jets of water to hit various areas of your body and so on. There is also a sauna and a steam room, and an ice fountain and a nice warm lounger part. The spa taster package gave us an hour to relax and unwind in this area, before being taken to a treatment room and given a 25 minute treatment. I chose the head and neck massage as I often get migraines and wanted to ease my head and neck muscles and so on, and this was definitely the case. My shoulder area, neck area and head were all expertly massaged using nice oils, and the girl doing it couldn't have been nicer. I was then taken to a relaxation room to rest and relax, where we were able to lie back on comfy loungers while eating fresh fruit and drinking herbal tea and iced cold water. Pure bliss!! My time at the Merchant Spa flew by because I was having such a nice time, and I know I will return time and time again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Monkeys_96

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Maybe the best hotel bathroom I've ever seen, wonderful shower + great tub. Comfortable bed and bedding. Delicious food and genuinely friendly, indulgent service. A great base for the North.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank DiscriminatingTrave
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel positions itself as 5 star yet my experience shows that the service is anything but. I requested an early breakfast in my room at 6am, as I was leaving for the airport at 6.15. I checked that 6am service could be accomodated with the Hotel Reception the evening prior and they confirmed it would be and stated I should simply write 6am on my breakfast order form. Over night I received a copy of my bill which included the tray charge for the room service breakfast.

Nothing was mentioned in my 5.30am wake-up call and the breakfast did not appear at 6am, as ordered and billed. I then received a call to say that breakfast could not be served at this time. Apparently Reception had tried to call my room the evening prior but hadn't been able to reach me - I was eating in the Hotel restaurant so they wouldn't have had to look far. Nor did they bother to leave a note under the door. They offered coffee only and confirmed they could get this to me before 6.10am, not suprisingly it did not arrive before 6.10am.

My PA called the hotel to point out the inadequacy of the service, and to query how a hotel with a 5 star rating could be incapable of meeting a 6am Breakfast request. She asked to speak directly to the Hotel Manager, was put through to an impersonal voice mail message and no-one has called her back. A real shame because I was satisfied with the rest of the hotel but there is no excuse for lack of communication and shoddy service.

I'm not unreasonable and had I been told my request could not be accomodated I would have moved my schedule forward 15 minutes to allow time for breakfast at the airport.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank SLJ825
Ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We arrived early for check-in, our bags were taken from us and our car valet parked....we had lunch in the Cloth Ear, would recommend lunch here. Had a look round some of the shops and then make our way back to check-in, our hotel room was in the newer part of the hotel, fantastic! We had cocktails before dinner in the cocktail bar.....very relaxing. You could book into the hotel and not leave for the duration of your stay, its perfect in every way.......brilliant wedding anniversary.....will definately be back.

Room Tip: The one and only downfall was noise on the second night of our stay, there was a function on in the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn032
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I were given a night at The Merchant as a wedding gift.What a great idea! It was without doubt, the best hotel experience we've had. Every member of staff had a friendly smile and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel itself was beautifully decorated and our art deco room was simply stunning. The use of photographs on the suite doors embraced the theme from the moment we stepped out of the elevator and offered a great talking point.
The location enabled us to walk to shops, as well as local bars in the evening.A must if you're a visitor from Australia to Belfast!
Marrying an Irishman was a fantastic start to 2011, and I have to say, staying at The Merchant was another oustanding Irish experience.

Room Tip: Although I can only comment on our room, I think any room would be quiet, very comfortable and conta...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shirley J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I recently stayed at The Merchant for one night. Although it was a short trip it was one to remember. The staff were very helpful, the food and drink wonderful and the decor and attention to detail did not go amiss. I would highly recommend a visit and hope to return again one day soon ! Jazz in Berts Bar is a must as well as a soak in the jacuzzi on the roof top.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hbrun
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2011

My Husband and I have just had the most wonderful experience. From the moment we stepped out of our car, which was taken away and parked for us, until we left we were treated as if we were the only people staying at the Merchant. We booked a suite and I can only say I have never stayed anywhere so special. The food was just wonderful and the service we received from every member of staff was excellent. We can not wait to enjoy another stay in a very special Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple