“Poor experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Poor experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Thought I'd try out Rhubarb in the city centre, Wellington Place. Both myself and two friends found it disappointing overall. Lack of choice on the menu for a Friday eve. The Food was ok, chilli beef for starter was good and my main of hake was just ok, nothing exciting. When we went to pay for our bill we were told they had no card machine, this was never communicated when we booked or during our meal, just at the end when we came to pay. When one of my friends complained about this, the manager was rude and certainly not customer friendly about it.
Overall pretty limited menu, nothing exciting, the place is BYO with small corkage charge so ends up being a relatively cheap night out. No card machine which is annoying,customer service and attitude poor.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Sinead M

Belfast
“Rude staff, won't be back.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten in other Rhubarb venues several times. My friend booked this restaurant, confirming the venue location, and we looked forward to trying it.
We arrived last night at the time we had booked. We stood in the doorway for a while before anyone acknowledged us. Eventually a waitress arrived, and I gave the name. She went to the back of the restaurant and spoke to someone. Again after some time she appeared back and said "You've got the wrong Rhubarb!" My friend explained that she had confirmed the location when she made the booking. "Was the person you spoke to foreign, did he have a foreign accent?" Asked the waitress. My friend said he may have had. "He's new and was told we were fully booked and not to book anyone else in."
The implication was that we had made the mistake, and there was little by way of apology.
I asked to speak to the manager. A man arrived - didn't speak or introduce himself until I asked him if he was the manager. He said he was, and that there had been a mistake with the booking. He said the person who took the booking was new and there was a table for us in their Hope Street restaurant if we wanted it. The Hope Street location is a good walk from this restaurant so wasn't an option for me. He did apologise a couple of times, but happily blaming a new member of staff and seeming relieved that this got them "off the hook" was not very professional in my book.
As a Customer Service training consultant, I know that customer service is a huge part of the whole dining out experience, and will influence most people as to whether or not they return to any venue. I do understand that anyone can make a mistake when taking a booking. But the most important part of any mistake is how it is handled and rectified. In this case it was most unsatisfactory. Neither the waitress nor the manager dealt with this appropriately. We were made to feel that it was our fault and it was just hard luck.
I certainly will not return.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Angie_L
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Worst customer service I've ever experienced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Where do I start?? We were in a party of 14 that was booked for a friend's birthday, and dinner was on Saturday 27th June at 7.30pm. My wife and I were amongst the last to arrive, and were left standing for a few minutes as the table was clearly not big enough for 14 people. The waiter spoke of "squeezing us in" at either side of the table, and when he was reminded that the table was booked well in advance, his response was "listen darlin, I'm doing the best I can here". That more or less set the tone for the night. We finally got seated, with me having to sit at the end of the table, which didn't bother me that much.
No one ordered starters, and we all ordered our main course. I asked the waitress what the fish of the day was, to which she replied "hake, seabass, mushrooms and prawns...actually I'm not too sure". When she asked the waiter what it was, he clearly seen that she was in the middle of taking an order and he snapped at her "you should have it written down". So as I couldn't actually find out what the fish of the day was, I ordered the pasta. The food took over an hour to arrive, and we were very kindly informed by the waiter after around 45 minutes that they "hadn't forgotten about us" and it would be with us shortly. When the food did arrive, I tucked into my pasta and in the second bite I realised there was a long blonde hair in my mouth. I was absolutely disgusted and called the waiter over and informed him of this. He took the plate away and asked me if I wanted a new dish made up, however, I was so annoyed and disappointed that I told him I'd rather not. He took the dish away and returned about a minute later and I couldn't believe it when he actually indirectly asked me if I placed the hair there myself as there was no one in the kitchen who had long hair so it couldn't have been one of them (even though the waitress had long blonde hair). I informed him that I didn't have the hair, why would I? He walked off then and that was the last of it. There was no apology, no effort to try and appease me. Nothing.
So after having to be "squeezed in", waited over an hour for our food, then to find hair in it when it arrived, then not receiving even a hint of an apology, it's safe to say I'll never be back, and I'll be telling everyone I know to avoid it at all costs. The waiter quite clearly had a massive chip on his shoulder for some unknown reason, and his awful attitude and customer service didn't go unnoticed by our group.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Chris M
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Attentive staff, lovely food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner with a friend last night and had a lovely experience! Gentleman serving us was very attentive, there was a large group in and he very kindly advised us to place our order as soon as we could as the group was just about to place theirs, we would have been in for a long wait! As we were nearing the end of our drinks he had another sitting waiting before we had to ask. The food was delish!! Shoulder of beef was super tasty and sides were cooked to perfection. I'll be back ☺️

1 Thank Pauline M
Belfast
“Fabulous evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing night at rhubarb with my family an every one I was with had really good things to say about how nice the food was. The waitering staff was friendly and poilet through out the night making sure we were ok. The two specials they had on that night were really nice my mum had the fabulous sea food special and then my brother had an amazing min areo cheesecake cake. Overall the night was really good and me an my family will definitely be back.