“Really interesting, clean, plus cool staff.”

Paddy's Palace Belfast
Ranked #31 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't planning on staying at Paddy's but I'm glad I did. Firstly, the hostel is in a very cool old building. It really has charm.

Breakfast is free, although it's just toast and cereal. There are plenty of super markets near by if you need to supplement. The kitchen is free to use.

The common areas were really cool.
I generally liked my stay, but it was kind of eerily empty. I had a whole 6 person dorm to myself and really only saw the staff there. Not sure what the deal was but its such a cool place it would be great to see it busy.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here last weekend and were certainly not impressed. The side door to the hostel was left wide open all day long allowing anyone from off the street to simply walk on in. In our room the window was jammed open and unable to close once again leaving a direct route of entry to anyone who wanted it. We certainly appreciated the cleanliness of the space and the breakfast offered in the morning, but it was not worth our uneasiness.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carli L
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We went for a couple of nights mid week last week and it was really full. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the rooms could have done with a slightly better clean, as could the bathrooms, but at the end of the day this is a hostel. It's one of the best hostels I have stayed in! Toast/ jam and tea and coffee is provided in the morning and there is a large kitchen so if you wanted to go self catering, you could.
I was honestly really impressed with this hostel, it's about a ten minute walk from anywhere in Belfast, bus stops directly outside also. We checked in about half an hour early and they didn't mind. Honestly had a great time, met people of all age groups from all over the world and they were having a great time :)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 23, 2013

well it wasn't amazing, but for the money it's fine
Girls on reception were nice and willing to help,we had private room for 3 and for some reason there was fourth bed - but anyway we had enough space, 3 showers right next to us - quite clean, nice dining area and shared room.
Hostel is not far from city center -like 20 min walk- and if you finished the main sightseeing you can go to Botanical gardens or Ulster Museum near by the hostel.
What we all loved was the Paddy's Giants Causeway Tour!! this worth staying here!
we paid just £15 for 1 day tour which was truly cool. Guide&driver was funny and in easy way he taught us all about history of N. Ireland and about local people. SO much fun!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Pretty dismal place in a rough part of town. Ok, beds were cheap but you would be better off spending a few dollars more for a nicer backpackers. Staff were ok, but the room was cold, small and smelled like something died there once. Showers were cold, and breakfast was very shabby.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank craig s
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I arrived on a plane from Manchester ladened with a heavy bag at 10pm and I was a lone female. When I arrived, the receptionist did not orientate me well and did not show me to the room. He gave me a key, pointed to vicinity of the room. I went looking for the room - up and down the stairs several times... The room could not be found. I had to pass past some lads having a party and they were quite intimidating and told me the room did not exist. I went back down to receptionist, but he had gone. It was now 10.30pm. I called for him and he did not attend. In the end, I had no room and no receptionist to find me a new room. I had no choice but to check out and find a new hotel. I traipsed the streets of Belfast and knocked on the doors of hotels - a lone female walking the streets of Belfast at 11pm.....not ideal and not safe !! To add insult to I injury, they kept my deposit and haven't answered my calls to return it!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Razzaline
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Overall, it was okay. The location wasn't the best, but we weren't that far from everything either. The 4 bed room was a decent size and we had our own basin - which leaked all night. The beds were comfortable enough, but I wish there were more power points around.

We only had a couple of showers and toilets to share with a lot of people. It would've been nice to have mirrors in the actual rooms so that people didn't have to use the limited bathrooms to get ready. The shower was freezing cold so we could barely use it.

The hostel didn't have much of an atmosphere, but I didn't spend much time there. It was fine for the night but having more bathrooms (and showers that have hot water!) could really improve things.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends