“Amazing”
Review of Saphyre

Saphyre
Ranked #43 of 1,047 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: British, Irish, European, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Amazing”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were really looking forward to our Valentine's night at Saphyre and we were not disappointed. What a wonderful dining experience in beautiful surroundings. Sam, the maitre'd was very welcoming and all the staff helpful throughout the evening. The restaurant was full with a great buzz all around. The tasting menu was excellent, oyster and hammock,foie gras,poached lemon sole,honey glazed duck and an indulgent chocolate sweet - great flavours and all delicious. Wine list superb. Congratulations to the chef and all the team. Can't wait to return. AH

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank A H

“Very Poor Experience & Sloppy Staff”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I was initially very excited to go to this new restaurant, but I have been extremely disappointed by the sloppy staff, the uncomfortable atmosphere and average food.
We were ushered to an awkwardly placed table- throughout the evening staff kept banging into the back of my chair. We had difficulty hearing each other throughout the evening due to the noise... Mainly from customers who were very drunk & singing loudly. Rather than an intimate & elegant dining experience, it was comparable to a noisy country pub.
Firstly, a couple who came in after us were served more promptly- we were ignored for an unacceptable length of time whilst waiting for our second course, whilst the couple who came in after us had moved onto their third!
When we asked the waitress to tell us again which meat was in the first course, she said it was "haddock" and that it was indeed fish. When we checked the menu again ourselves, in reality, it was "Ham Hock"- not fish! So much for informed staff...
When the waiter came to clear the second course, he asked, "Did "yous" enjoy that?" Very classy...
The rest of the courses were passable- not spectacular.
Finally, I requested a Remy Martin brandy, however I was informed by a French person whom I suppose was the Maitre D' that they didn't have any Remy Martin, yet when I was leaving I pointed out that there was clearly a bottle of Remy Martin at the bar. He apologised for his mistake, but he should have checked before he so dismissively informed me they didn't have any ...
I am so disappointed in this experience of what should have been a real treat. This was far from being the elegant and sublime dining experience that we had hoped for.

14 Thank Lynsey H
Belfast, United Kingdom
“£128 for the pair of us, very disappointing food and poor service”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Myself and my Fiancé tried Saphyre as we love to eat out and based on the trip advisor ranking decided to give it a go. to start we were shown to our seats by the maitre'd who we found to be very arrogant and not very welcoming. Starters and main courses certainly did not live up to expectation of this type of a restaurant and for the price was mediocre at best. Over worked dishes with too much emphasis on trying to be fancy with presentation. I got the fish for the main which when it came was so rubbery I couldn't break through it with my knife. We weren't even checked throughout our main course to see how things were even though the maitre'd clearly seen I had hardly touched mine. By the time it came to desert I was ready to leave without but wow am I glad I stayed and give it a try. Both deserts were outstanding, taste, textures, presentation was like a work of art!! Every component was delicately put together by someone who I can only describe as the king of desserts! For £128 for the pair of us I will most certainly not be back!!

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank edith m
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

A short review! This reflects the food, service and décor !!! Unbelievably sweet and not at bit short! Hats off to chef Rowan simply excellent

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Pete M
“WOW!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We love eating out & we always like to use Tripadvisor to see what everyone thinks of the current places on offer. We read the reviews about this restaurant & booked our table for last night.

Got soaked walking in but things went dramatically upwards after that

The amazing decor hits you first but equally was the great welcome we received from the young chap that showed us to our table. I asked the chap to recommend a cocktail to us which he did & they were delicious

We both opted for the tasting menus but not the wine selection as I don't like too many different wines with a meal.

Bring a real wine lover I thought the only slight negative (really slight) was that the list didn't include enough if my personal favourite Burgundy. There was a good selection of white Burgundy which we bought one of, the Mersault which was delicious & suited 3 of the courses & a glass of the Dao for the Hare course

All of the food was totally wonderful as were the people who served it to us

Sam the Maître d was very helpful & informative & when we started talking about wines, we were given a few to try which was a nice touch

We will definitely be back again very soon, great spot!!