“Thoroughly enjoyed our stay!”
Review of Malmaison

Malmaison
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Malmaison last Saturday night and I can't understand how this beautiful, luxurious boutique hotel isn't higher up the ratings on here. From the moment we arrived the staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. I loved the dim lighting in the bar area and the whole chilled out vibe. We ate in the brasserie which had a prix fixe menu - excellent value and each course delish!! Can highly recommend the cocktails! Staff were knowledgeable and friendly, our room was immaculately clean and beautifully furnished. Great night's sleep on the most comfy bed ever! We checked out on Sunday morning feeling we'd been totally indulged and look forward to returning soon.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa S, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear thornbanks
Thanks for writing your comments on feedback. The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to indulge you! :)
Hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My wife & I stayed in the Mal last night (sun 26th Jan14) as part of the "sunday stopover" deal. It was my pregnant wife's 30th birthday & we were looking forward to a relaxing overnight stay with a rare lie-in as we left our 2year old son with his nanny for the night. Our "4*" Mal experience got off to an extremley poor start when I received an email from the hotel the night before we were due to stay. The email was to advise that our 7.30pm dinner reservation was no longer available as they had a large booking in. As an alternative the Mal offered a 5.30pm sitting or after 9pm sitting, which was very disappointing considering I booked on 31st dec. After I replied to the email explaining that I would like to cancel as this was unacceptable, I received a phone call from the brasserie manager, colm. Colm kindly got us a nice table at 6.30pm beside the gas fire (which unfortunately wasnt working on the night). Although 6.30pm was not ideal it was at least better than 5.30pm or after 9pm. Colm also gave us a room upgrade to a superior room with some chocolates in the room for the distress & inconvenience so all was looking positive again. On the night, the food & service in the brasserie was very good but the restaurant was very cold & I was surprised a 10% service charge was added to our bill for a table of 2? Never had this anywhere else. Our superior room was lovely but bath/bathroom small & no robes was disappointing for a "superior" room. Outside our room window was a bright orange light coming from the bank next door, which gave the effect of the sun rising all night long. To top it all off we my wife & I were kept awake all night long as there was a late christmas staff do staying in the rooms beside us on the 3rd floor. Their partying went on until 6am & even after a complaint call to reception at 5am the relentless shouting, screaming, singing & banging continued until 6am. The hotel is a non smoking hotel but the 3rd floor was clearly an exception to the rule last night. The floor boards are very squeeky & the doors slam so loudly making it impossible to get a wink of sleep with a full scale party going on in the rooms next to 303. Upon check out I obviously complained & was offered an apology & £50 gift card from shane the manager, which was at least a nice gesture but the monent had gone & my wife's 30th birthday night ruined. The mal should really consider security to prevent nights like last night ruining any other paying guests night. I have genuinley had a better nights stay/sleep in youth hostels & club 18-30 hotels in ibiza. I would expect more of an ibis or travel lodge & that's not an exaggeration!

Barry Curran

4  Thank barryc82
Lisa S, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Barryc82
We're sorry that your stay did not live up to expectations on that particular evening however I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience in the Brasserie.
Thank you for writing your thoughts on Tripadvisor as we appreciate the time it takes. I am available to discuss further on 08446930650, should you wish to do so.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just a single night stay. From the moment we arrived we were treated with courtesy and warmth by all of the staff we met. The decor is relaxed elegance and the bed comfy. There a little touches of luxury and with throughout. While the restaurant was booked out the evening we arrived, the hotel was just a short stroll to quite a few decent restaurants. Definitely on my 'return to' list.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Tom D
Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for writing your comments on Tripadvisor.
Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed in the Samson Suite for a night in January. The suite is so impressive when you walk in through the large double doors. Large seating area with big oversize corner sofa and gas fire. Pool table to the left and bedroom to the right with its massive oversize bed (and. Rey comfy)!!! Off the bedroom is a large walk-in wardrobe through which you have double doors into the large bathroom with double rain shower, free standing bath and double sinks. There are 2 flat screen tv's (large in living room & smaller in the bedroom). The impressive BOSE sound system is amazing and can be piped through to the bathroom (just press the cd button on the remote in the bathroom). The skyline windows have electric shutters, there is a remote - you will definitely need them closed in the bedroom. We had dinner in the Restaurant, had the table by the fire which was wonderful, great food and lovely staff. Ordered the continental breakfast to the room - the presentation of which was great (croissants, pano chocolate, jams, cereal, juice, milk, fruit, granola) if you want tea/coffee either order it or use the facilities in the room.

Would stay here again, room well worth it for a special treat. Highly recommended.

Dear LauraC47

Thank you for your comments, we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write your comments on to Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a very dark hotel - everywhere. If you look closely its not that clean and has chipped wallpaper and stained carpets. The rooms are not sound proofed so beware.
My large radiator was on full blast. I stood on a chair in the middle of teh night, tried to open a window and failed. Eventually managed to turn off the radiator - needless to say I got very little sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Christina075

Dear Christina075
Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor after your stay, I am sorry that you did not sleep very well when you stayed with us. We do endevour to ensure that all our customers are looked after at the highest level and I am available to dicuss your comments further on 08446930650, should you wish to do so.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Loved the hotel... The rooms were v nice! Happened to stay on a night where it was swarmed by teenage girls (Union j were also staying ... Who...? Lol .. ) ... Staff worked well to make everything run smooth.. So no complaints!! However... Had booked into the restaurant for their much advertised Sunday lunch. I've never left a restaurant without felling satisfied - I left this very very disappointed ! Soup wasn't to my taste ... Thought I'd stock up at the chefs table... Stocking up was however not an option - cold meats and cheeses etc was not very appealing. The chef wasn't exactly welcoming at me asking what I could have ! Partner had the Sunday roast for mains - 1 slice of roast beef with fat intact and a few greasy veg :-( Sadly my choices were even less - pasta or risotto - hada go with the risotto as the other was a goats cheese pasta (don't know why restaurants assume every vegetarian likes goats cheese!) Pumpkin risotto sounded nice - sadly it neither looked it nor tasted it!! And again - covered in goats cheese!! 1 spoonful was enough to put me off risotto for quite some time!! Expected the server 2 question why I was returning a full plate ... And had a very polite answer to save embarrassment! Nope ... Both starter and mains returned - he must have at least noticed that?!! Dessert of an icecream sundae was merely budget ice cream wit an 'eton mess' on top!! For any restaurant to charge such high prices for such standard of food is unacceptable!! I only wish I had complained - if only to gauge what their response would have been! I don't mind paying good money for good food... To merely throw money away on this sickening!!
So... Nice hotel etc .. Reception staff helpful .... Avoid restaurant at all costs (pardon the pun) ! There's a subway a few hundred meters down the road !! A 10th of the price and edible!!! :-/

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda M

Dear Lynda M
Thank you very much for taking the time, to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that the team looked after you so well during a busy time. It is a shame that we did not meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your Sunday lunch. I have addressed your comments with the team, however, I am available to discuss this further with you, should you wish to call me on 084469 30650.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Excellent customer service, nice decor, comfy beds, great location - what more could you ask for? We arrived late for breakfast one morning (entirely our fault, having misread the breakfast times) and although the staff were just finishing clearing away the breakfast bits they facilitated us by serving us breakfast in the bar. Excellent customer service. Would recommomend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa S, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Choppers on Tour
Thank you very much for your comments, delighted that we looked after you so well and htank you for taking the time to write a review.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards