“Didn't float my boat”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Ate here late on a Friday afternoon. Having not been before we took a few minutes to read the menu..... While the guy at the till scowled impatiently, it's not like there was a queue, what's the rush? Not easily put off & also refusing to be rushed, we ordered, beef with mac n cheese and pork with rustic potatoes. Served on a breadboard & delivered to our table quickly the baps were nice, salad fresh, mac n cheese & rustic potatoes were hot and tasty. Meat was fine but just lukewarm, personally I don't like that, BBQ & hot sauce is available on the table, if we'd realised that we might have tried a different one that wasn't on the table. There is a small sign below the till which advises it's cash only, we didn't spot this initially & luckily had enough. We had bottled water & a ginger ale/ beer which was very nice but expect to drink it from the bottle. Pepper grinders on the table were empty, there were sachets available but that's not quite the same. Once we'd sat down we noticed the floor was in need of a good scrub. Overall it's ok but I won't be back, other places do it better, with a smile & a little explanation rather than an irritated attitude.

1  Thank Lovetoe

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Found out about this place on Twitter. Was attracted by the name, (class name, it has to be said!) so I googled it to find out more. Saw the menu and felt even more attracted.

Told my other half, got as far as saying the word 'meat' and as a carnivore, he was sold already... Went along in the PM after work. Fantastic range of meats, sides and sauces available. You can seat yourself wherever you want at benches, contemporary interior, loved it.

When the food came, it didn't disappoint, we both got the brisket in a bap with rustic potatoes, he got meat bon bons, and we got sweet potato fries between us.

Only reason why I rate this as 'very good' and not 'excellent' was because we both felt that although the food was lovely, the price of the meal and portion sizes didn't quite match up. My side of rustic potatoes consisted of 5 chips, and his three meat bon bons were tiny, wouldn't fill a hole in your tooth! Definitely bigger portion sizes needed, other than that, great!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The clue is in the name of the cafe. Quite simply it is large baps filled with very nice fresh meat. They advice what sauces to have and what sides. It is served on a wooden board and if you like your meat baps, look no further

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have been a few times now. The concept is interesting as it is difficult to get a decent meat meal when out on the town. The place is small and can get crowded but this adds to the intimacy and cosyness of the place. I wasnt aware of any music when I was there. On my first vist the member of the staff at the till was a bit on the impatient side- was a bit impatient for my order and didnt really explain anything. An explanation of how things worked would have been useful on my first visit. I strained to read what was on the menu boards behind the counter.
On day 1 I had beef on a type of foccacio bap in blue cheese sauce with the house coleslaw. The beef was very tasty. I just thought that the slaw could have done with less mustard over it.The second day i visited i had the veggie bap option- nothing special and a bit tasteless. The 3rd day I visited I had the chicken option with too much chicken thrown on my bap and not enough extras such as salad etc on the bap, overall quite dry and the chicken had a sort of orange colouring around the edge of it.
The staff are friendly and do go out of their way to make you feel welcome- I was even offered a very tasty little fruit scone on my last visit which was very thoughtful. I think that this place has potential and it if definitely going to be a hit with the city slickers who want a quick lunch snack- the food is very reasonably priced too. I do hope that they will consistently provide good quality tasty and wholesome food. They need to make sure that the meat is not of the cheapest of cuts as this can be off-putting for real meat lovers.
The seating arrangement along the wall is cramped and it can be difficult to get into the back seats if people are already sitting at the edge of the tables. It was good to see a few newspapers available.
I will be back but I think that I will wait a while. This place has potential and deserves a chance and will be popular for a cheap lunch snack.

2  Thank NorthernMedic
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Went on a recommendation of a friend. Got a meat box with a side. Side was macaroni and cheese which was served practically cold. Everyone's portion size was different even though the same thing was ordered. Veggie option was pathetic. Few wee bits of veg, not near enough to make up to the meat portion sizes. Their sweet potato fries were good. Perhaps we just got a bad night.
It wasn't a great experience and I doubt I'll be back to try it a second time. I'll just go to bubbaque for my pulled pork sandwich thanks.

3  Thank Vanpiragirl