“Still hungry after 5 courses!”
Review of Ox

Ox
Ranked #18 of 1,052 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Still hungry after 5 courses!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I ate here on Friday night. At the weekend, the restaurant serves a tasting menu only and at £45 a head, it is not cheap. As it was a special occasion, we did not mind and from reading previous reviews, knew the portions were not going to be big. The food was absolutely fabulous however I was not prepared for just how small the portions were going to be. Starter of asparagus with egg yolk was scrumptious, but one spear, really? I think there is no reason why they could not put a bit more on the plate. We went on for a couple of drinks afterwards and ended up getting crisps to fill a hole. Not really what you want after spending £140 plus on a meal for two. Despite the high rating for the food, would not return for it.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank carolsbelfast

“not up to scratch”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

looking forward to dining at ox for quite some time but won't be back in a hurry. Went for lunch and wasn't impressed. Very much style over substance here. The menu was very intimidating for my date who is a plain eater so much so we nearly left. She kindly perserveered and we ordered. Food was nice but not amazing and certainly lacking in portion size. I don't understand a £3 starter that wouldnt feed a budgie. Wine list over priced\over expensive.
I love a bit over priced pretentious dining if I'm honest but ox committed, for me, the cardinal sin of any restaurant _ I left hungry, £85 lunch and an hour and a half later I'm eating again? For goodness sake ox FEED your customers.

• Visited May 2014
8 Thank fairdue
Belfast, United Kingdom
“SHEEP OR FOOLS ? MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The service was excellent.The menu was misleading due to reformation.The elements described were unrecognisable. Do you know that most of your customers are Irish/Norn Irish and well travelled? You must cater for your clientele.I did not recognise the reformed mush on my plate.
My advice to clients is to have your lunch before you go to Ox.It would not fill the holes in your teeth!I am on the 5+2 diet and this would not fulfil a 2.Of course,there are hidden calories in the MUSH.That's what makes the MUSH.I visit France regularly and this is not French.This is pretentious.You are fooling us.I eat out every friday in Belfast restaurants and I recognise the frauds.
The serving is miniscule for an exorbitant price,

• Visited April 2014
15 Thank Belfast15_12
London
“Great lunch”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I had a business lunch at Ox and it was excellent. The menu is interesting and the food was very good and well presented. The service was also excellent anf friendly. The prices were reasonable for the quality. A nice address in Belfast.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank new_world_travellers
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Great forward thinking restaurant. A must have for Belfast”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Excellent food, exquisite service. A much needed contender for the Michelin star. Although it was lunch time I Didn't sample the wine list, however it was extensive and paired for each choice.

Simply divine. This is fine dining, not for those wanting pub food or the normal restaurant fayre.

• Visited April 2014