“Well done Ox!”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The owners of Ox are clever! Why? They have positioned themselves beside the developing Titanic Quarter where they have no competition and just to the periphery though within walking distance of the legal and cathedral areas picking up trade from bankers and barristers alike.
The food is descriptively locally sourced so you know exactly where it is coming and presented by enthusiastic and pleasant staff who are very attentive and add the magic touch to always smile when chatting you through the menu.
The lunch menu on a Friday is three starters, main and deserts so you know what they do, they do well. On the occasion we visited everything was bought to our table in time and presentation was excellent.
You can also see into the kitchen to see how much care the chefs take in preparation which was enjoyable to see.
I would definitely recommend this for business or coulees even family lunches as well as all of the above for dinner.
Well done Ox!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I won't waste too many words or time on this place. Booking for 8:30pm, seated straight away....30 MINS TO EVEN GET A DRINK ORDER!!! Got waiter over and attempted to order, was told kitchen had a lot of orders and we would have to wait a "few mins" longer. INCORRECT. It took longer than a few mins. Pathetic customer service. Place was half empty..received startes over 1 HOUR from seated time. Starters looked good...tasted very bland and mediocre...mains took a FURTHER 40MINS to come out. Fish dish overcooked and flavourless, chateaubriand tasted oily and poor. Desserts were the high point of the evening...the bill was not. Offered 2 small glasses of dessert wine due to our long wait (which one?)...they need to try harder if they want to get return customers. I also explained to the waiter/front of house our meal did not taste great and the wait was unacceptable. Only as a result of my complaining was one of the main dishes taken off the bill.
In short: massively overpriced & bland food, poor customer service, long waits. I've had better food in city centre pubs. Friend told me "lunches were good" but I haven't been back on the basis of our evening visit which was supposed to be a celebration.
This is the sort of place for you if: you want to sit around with other fatcats in pinstripes and brown shoes congratulating each other on having "made it" while letting work expenses take care of the embarrassing matter of paying for your dining out. Much like James Street South & CoCo...there is a lot of people looking vacatly around to see what other nobodies are in the restaurant. This place has been hyped too quickly...it's not very good. I wish Cayenne was still open...<sigh>

10  Thank TheFlashingBlade66
Reviewed January 9, 2014

A good friend took me here as a birthday treat. The food was wonderful if a bit eclectic. I started with pigeon followed with steak and Ox cheek (this was wonderful) and anexcellent espresso. Top marks for the food. The space is a bit austere (or simple) the staff were good. The wine list was reasonable and we had a great time. 5 out of 5. Visit it before it becomes too popular.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I love food simple complicated or in between and upon reading a review in
A national paper we went! Scallop w foam cold meant to be hot-tasty though, curd w bergamot No! Trying too hard. Chateaubriand lovely piece of meat but cold, then cheeses with accompaniment unrecognisable and a healthy piece of of whole wheat cracker. No! The staff explaining the courses had no confidence or finesse. Loved one the gin menu and the selection of armagnac.

1  Thank klu1
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We dined in Ox twice this week!! A party of 6 had a fantastic evening, all enjoying the Taster menu and a few days later 3 of us had the Christmas lunch. I can't possibly do justice in words to the amazing food on both occasions. Absolutely every morsel was delicious, bursting with flavours. The staff were friendly and helpful and took special care with one of our party, who had a nut allergy. We are already planning our next visit!

1  Thank Chefereeny