“Never knew healthy eating could be so much fun and delicious!”
Review of Ox

Ox
Ranked #18 of 1,056 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Never knew healthy eating could be so much fun and delicious!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Ox in Oxford Street Belfast is a refreshing addition to the eating out option in Northern Ireland.
I had lubnch there the week before and it was so good I booked twhile I was there to come out for dinner. Arrived on Tuesday night at 7:30p.m. and the place was quite busy, greeted by Alain (ex Maitre'd of Deans Howard Street) and shown to a table near the window.
I expected the room to be quite noisy being on a main road and being a big space a little 'cold' but the very opposite was the case a cosy environment, interesting views out the window and quite intimate, it will be interesting to see how the room develops and evolves.
We had a looka the menu and liking most things we decided to opt for the tasting menu with wine options - I asked what was on it, I was told it was a surprise and so it turned out.
Our taster was a surprise - oyster on a slice of beetroot with salmon tartare and squid ink - light subtle and delicious, I finished my galss of champagne with this and it was an ideal match.
The taster menu has an option of a vegetarian taster only and we are going to try this next time because our starter was fantastic, home fermented whey and radish, leaves and onion galette - I was not sure about this but is one one of the best dishes I have ever eaten - sheer brilliance and this sums up Ox, I would never have picked this on a menu but an now looking forward to going back to have more.
I will not tell you what else we had as I do not want to spoil the surprise - it just kept getting better.
No cream, no carbs yet filling, full of flavour that lingered on your palate and left you smiling.
Combined with interesting and unusual wines that worked as they too were subtle but would like to see how the food stands up to more robust wines - that is the thing about Ox it poses as many questions as it answers and why it will be a hot spot for a long time.
You try new things and wnat to try other combinations and flavours - it is all there.
Service was excellent and friendly and you were never looking around for someone.
To round off the night it was also great value, I am thinking perhaps I should not post this as tables are going to be hard to get but this is too good not to share.
Top marks, we had a great night and will be back next week.

2 Thank Charles E

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Tasty food but limited menu with no sides . . . in Belfast?!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited here a few Fridays ago and had very high hopes of Ox. The menu was quite limited and we had to ask what some of the dishes were, any idea what something like "Pied de mountain" is? Apparently it's a mushroom dish, I'd never had guessed that. I had a haddock starter which was gorgeous and a chicken main which was lovely. The mains didn't seem to come with any sort of potato, pasta, rice etc. but there were no sides on the menu so we asked the waitress if there were sides. She informed us that chef felt the mains didn't need a side but they do make a "side of the day" which we could order, that day it was baby boiled potatoes in a seaweed butter so we ordered two portions which we really did need. The food really was gorgeous but I would like to be able to choose a few sides and the portions were a bit on the small side. If I had only had my chicken with the few bits of carrots I'd have definitely left hungry. The only other problem was there is no salt or pepper on the table, I assume chef felt we didn't need that either, it would be nice to have the choice.

Basically we had a few issues but overall were impressed by the food and would like to try it again.

3 Thank PJBelfast76
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Cutting edge cuisine now in Belfast”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Had another birthday on Wednesday & whilst trying to forget it, we were lucky enough to get a table in Belfast's exciting new restaurant.
Our expectations were high to be honest having spoken many times with Alain during his tenure at Deanes.
We were not disappointed, all the courses were refreshingly new, if you eat out a lot, it's sometimes difficult to be surprised with new taste experiences. Each course did just that, interesting & surprising ingredients well cooked & beautiful to look at & taste
As for the wines, I know Alain has vastly reduced the mark up to try & bring excellent wines to the customers of this restaurant, we had a white Rhone with the starters & a Pomerol with the mains & a Margaux with the cheese
This is the perfect spot for foodies but is also a very romantic setting for that special occasion
Can't wait to go back

2 Thank William B
“Best food experience”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Without a doubt thee best meal I have ever eaten!
Fantastic atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, fantastic view, great service, waitress knew everything on menus, great advise on wine, DELICIOUS food! Best I have ever eaten! Could not be disappointed by anything!!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank JennaMagee
“Perfect dishes with fantastic service and atmosphere”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is by far the hottest restaurant in Belfast at the moment. The restaurant is beautiful, with an open kitchen, relaxed decor, a view of the Lagan, along with welcoming knowledgable staff, made it a very pleasant and exciting dining experience. We decided to try the tasting menu, and we were not disappointed by Stephen's (head chef) seasonally inspired collection of dishes. Each dish was accompanied by a wine, chosen by the manager, Alain, from a wonderful selection of European wines, to compliment the flavours of the dish, and in this he did not fail to impress with his knowledge and experience.
The food itself was stunningly flavoursome, cooked to perfection, with the sea bass with mushrooms being my personal favourite, how so much flavour can be captured and retained within this dish is beyond me. The duck for the main course was perfectly cooked, and so tender it practically melted in your mouth. All accompanying veg was perfectly chosen and cooked to compliment the other components of each dish. Puddings, wow, white chocolate parfait with poached rubarb and homemade honeycomb was just lush, i could have eaten it twice. I haven't mentioned all of the dishes, wouldn't want to spoil all the surprises now would I? But I can say they were all boasting flavour and uniqueness.
I would recommend this restaurant to everyone, with relaxed, friendly, helpful staff, and perfectly cooked dishes packed with flavour, a meal at Ox will be a breathtaking and memorable dining experience for anyone.

2 Thank belfast99