“Poor food, disinterested service”
Review of Chopin Grand Cafe

Chopin Grand Cafe
Ranked #162 of 1,129 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Chic all-day cafe and bistro by night serving homemade and local produce with classical music and surroundings.B.Y.O
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Ate here with a group of 15 or so. The layout of the restaurant was poor with little room to walk around the tables. We were crammed into a space that was in no way suitable for the number in our party. Furthermore it was beside the toilet and a storage cupboard and hardly conducive to an enjoyable meal.

It was December and this restaurant was clearly interested in packing in as many punters as possible for maximum profit, as evidenced by the temporary tables and chairs in place.

The service was perfunctory, the staff, while not unpleasant, had really no interest in engaging with their customers. Because of the way we were crammed into the corner with no room to walk around, the staff could not get around the tables to serve or clear away, so we all had to pass our plates along the table. It was quite farcical to be honest and it all seemed rather tacky.

The food didn't impress. I had a turkey terrine starter that was bland and texture less. Its accompanying salad and toasted bread did little to enhance it. The pork loin main course wasn't much to write home about and not much of it. The sides of mashed carrot and parsnip were bland and cold. The dessert was saddening: bulk bought meringue with a soggy strawberry on top.

This was one of the poorest meals and dining experiences I've had recently. Bland food in a bland restaurant lacking any real atmosphere. This joint is imply interested in getting bums on seats and taking your money for second rate food. How this restaurant ever got rated so highly on TripAdvisor with such a poor product is mind-boggling, unless of course the large number of 5 star reviews from reviewers with little history had something to do with it. Or perhaps those reviewers just don't know the meaning of good food or good service.

In summary, if you want good food, with good service, in pleasant surroundings, don't even think about trying this place.

3  Thank KMcCorry

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was very poor food at an inflated price.THE starter was lukewarm and the pastry of the tart not crisp enough. The main course of macaroni with winter greens could have been cooked by a child.I would have been better off at home with a packet of Bachelor's pasta. They ran out of the dessert we wanted and when we asked for coffee we were told they had shut the machine down for the evening.We werent even offered the alternative of an instant coffee. There is only one toilet for men, women and the disabled. I will not be back. It was a total waste of money.
The staff were pleasant enough.

2  Thank Rosemarie C
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Went last night for first time. Food and service were great. Loved dessert. Staff very friendly and helpful. Deffo going back.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My friend and I went to Chopin Grand Cafe for dinner prior to a wine tasting in The Merchant. The room was freezing and when we asked the waiter if he could turn the heating up he said no! We were dumbfounded. Food ok, nothing on offer for dessert except tray bakes. Food ok. The lady waitress was very pleasant though.

1  Thank Mary Jo M
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I visited Chopin for the first time on a shopping trip in Belfast, we were very impressed. The host was very welcoming and the atmosphere was quite classy and warm. I ordered the soup and sandwich combo, which was delicious! By far the best soup and sandwich I'd ever tasted, and that's a lot! The value for money was even more surprising, to be served such quality food for such an excellent price was impressive.
We will definitely be trying out the dinner menu, I highly recommend!

1  Thank Coco7713