“poor food at steep prices”
Review of Lili Wong - CLOSED

Lili Wong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
uk
“poor food at steep prices”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant lacks atmosphere. It reminds me of a canteen, as it is so large inside with no partitions We went in for an evening meal at a weekend. We decided to go for the al la carte instead of the buffet. My partner asked for the wine list and the girl said that you can either have a glass of red wine, glass of white wine or a bottle of beer. At this stage we should have headed for the door!! We chose a glass of white wine each, which was so sickly sweet that we could not drink it. I ended up drinking water and my partner a bottle of beer. We were placed near an ice cream machine which rattled and hummed throughout our meal. The mixed platter of starters was just ok. My main course with disgusting . My noodles were all clumped together and thick with grease. They tasted like they had been sitting there all day and my partner was convinced that they had come out and lifted them from the buffet, even though we were paying for al la carte. He had seen a waiter filling a plate from the buffet with the dish that i had ordered and going into the kitchen and then very quickly coming out again and serving me. My dinner was served and then my partner had to wait approx 5 mins before he was served his meal. I picked my way through the grease. My partner finished his meal before me and the waiter came down and started clearing away his plate and cleaning the table as i was trying to eat. Surely do they not know that it is not good service to start clearing away the table whenever people are still eating their meal. I could hardly eat any of mine anyway. The bill was over £50 and what a waste of money. We will never be back.

• Visited September 2012

Newry, United Kingdom
“How Disappointing!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had friends from England staying with us and having read the write up on Lili Wong decided to have lunch there on the way to the airport! We arrived about 3pm and decided on the buffet. The first problem was that there was no description of the food on each container and it was quite difficult to identify what was on offer. The second and most major problem was that all of the dishes were just lukewarm and obviously had been there for some time. We complained and were told we would get some freshly cooked food which was a little better but still not to the standard we expected. We will not be returning to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This restaurant has recently opened in the premises formerly occupied by the Water Margin, a popular Chinese eating house which closed a year or so ago. Hoping it would be the same quality of its predecessor, I gave it a try.....

The eating area is massive (it's in a former church or similar sort of building) and very brightly lit. I was greeted by the owner who was sitting near the door with some friends and he called a waiter from the bar at the far end of the room to seat me. There was only one table in use by diners but, despite the number of covers, I was placed right beside them. That was a bad start.

Although they offer a la carte, I chose the buffet option as time was relatively short. I also asked for a Sprite as I'd already had a couple of pints of Guinness elsewhere. Neither was a good idea - the mix of starters I chose were cold and the lemonade was flat. I complained to the waitress who called the manager over. I explained to him that I was leaving and, as I had only taken a couple of nibbles at the starter, I did not intend to pay. He did not object to that .

This was so, so disappointing but especially so given the quality of the restaurant it replaced. More importantly, if that was the quality within the first couple of weeks of it reopening, what will it be like when they get complacent ?

I'll not be back to find out.

• Visited October 2012