“Definitely!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Without question this has to be the best burger in town. Way better than any of the other contenders. Like actually amazing. It's making me hungry just writing this. And the veggie burgers are fantastic - 3 different ones to choose from!

There are newer reviews for Alley Cat

Reviewed October 7, 2013

You know... Everyone expects pub food to be ok at best. Which is what I assumed when entering Alleycat last week for the first time. Two words... Dead. Wrong. Rarely have I ever been served a burger that when I ask for it mid-rare, actually comes out as such. I actually can't describe how happy even that small detail made me. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

On entering the bar, myself and two friends were greeted and seated immediately, given menus and ordered drinks. All with complete courtesy and speed. Off to a good start. We peruse the small but varied menu (I actually take the small menu as a good sign, I'm usually wary of places with 60 seats and 400 menu items...) and decide just as the waiter/barman comes back with our drinks. We order and wait. The atmosphere is casual and comfy if a LITTLE bit bare. After a short wait (roughly 15 minutes) the waiter returns with our food. Served all on one large tray it seems a little small for three people but as soon as we took our sides off it it worked out grand and wasn't an issue at all. The burger. Well seasoned, cooked properly (amazing), great balance of the toppings, the coleslaw in particular was fantastic and substantial but not an overly difficult size. The sweet potato fries were hot and well seasoned as well.

There are people on TA here complaining about price, and to be fair it is slightly above what you would expect to be paying for a casual lunch, but then again, this is not a casual lunch and the quality of the food TOTALLY justifies the price. I would far rather pay cash for good food than pay pennies for crap. The student discount was just the icing on the delicious delicious cake.

Probably the most telling part of my experience was the fact that when I returned with my girlfriend a few days later, I had an almost identical experience, from the quality of the service to the quality of the food. Consistency. Perfect.

I was very happy.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was amazed how busy this place is. Perhaps its new? The food is very expensive for the quality of it. Alcohol also expensive, staff terrible. I was given the wrong order twice.

4  Thank Londoner78698
chriswolzee, Public Relations Manager at Alley Cat, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hey, sorry that you weren't happy with your experience at Alley Cat. I'm really sorry you got the wrong order twice, this is unacceptable and I will look into why this happened with the staff that were on that night. Our food and drink are priced the same or less than most city centre establishments. Though we do sell a good few American and local craft ales which are expensive compared to the usual standard beers beers, which we also serve. I can only guess maybe you ordered one of these?

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

The concept is good ; the execution very poor .it takes a rare and special genius to produce a sickly burger but this place is makes the grade .One of the worst burgers ive sampled .Not sure what the meat patty was composed of ...it had an artificial flavour .The cheese was thick and greasy the bap was a soggy bread roll rather than a sesame seed burger bap .Despite the high pricing there's no Heinz ketchup but instead a red plastic opaque bottle with a red viscous fluid of doubtful provenance and a uniquely vile citric taste . Most places include fries with a burger (duh !.).Why are fries here £3.?? 2 burgers 2 fries and 2 soft drinks each £30 !!!!!!! Give it a miss !!! OVER HYPED AND OVER PRICED

2  Thank Belfast_Sailorman

Hey, I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your experience at Alley Cat. We serve sides separate so people have the chance to order other sides apart from the usual fries (£2, not £3). People get the chance to order "mac and cheese" or "sweet potato chips" and many more options instead, or perhaps no side at all.
I would also like to explain what goes into making our burgers, which may explain why they would taste different from most other restaurants. We don't buy in processed burgers. We make our own burgers totally from scratch, we make a new batch 2-4 times a day so they are always fresh. Using 3 different cuts of beef (Brisket, short rib, chuck), we mince the steaks ourselves. No combining agents, flavouring or fillers go into our burgers. They are 100% beef, which is why we can offer them pink or well-done. There is a lot of love that goes into making our burgers. As for the baps, they are baked fresh at a local Belfast bakery and are a glazed American style burger bap. Making our burgers this way, using only the best ingredients means that they are actually very reasonably priced. Other restaurants in the city centre sell far cheaper costing burgers at higher selling prices (burgers in TGI Fridays for example cost £8-£12)
As for the ketchup, I can only apologise that it tasted bad. Not that the brand is important, but we fill our diner style bottles with Heinz Ketchup.
Sorry again you didn't enjoy your Alley Cat experience, I hope after reading this you can come back and give us another go.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I love this place! Literally something for everyone. Chilled out atmosphere, great food which you can mix and match with whoever you're with!

Does great vegetarian food too. Also, I've never had a problem with the student discount or wait staff so ignore any negative reviews that way - as with anywhere mistakes can be made once!

1  Thank CM218