“All flash, not a lot of substance”
Review of Mumbai 27

Mumbai 27
Ranked #84 of 1,129 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

On a recent week-end stay in Belfast we tried Mumbai 27 by chance, because our first choice had no available tables. Overall – thoroughly average.

A glitzy location and ambience, but no follow through. The menu is much more limited in scope and size than you normally associate with an Indian restaurant. Food is served promptly and efficiently by a staff that just weren’t totally interested in what they are doing. Our dishes were edible and satisfying, but just didn’t manage to excite.

Average price for an average meal. We’ll look elsewhere next time.

1  Thank Peter_R_Smith

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here with my wife after a busy day bank holiday shopping. Was early so got eating the pre-theatre menu which is excellent value at 2 courses for 12.95 and has plenty to choose from. As it was early it was only us and another party so the atmosphere wasn't buzzing but the decor was excellent and I'm sure a normal evening service is great. The food though is first class with excellent rich flavours for both carnivorous me and veggie wife. The portions were much larger than expected also given the special menu we were eating from.
In short this is top quality Indian food priced very well and is an excellent addition to the increasingly popular cathedral quarter.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This restaurant looks so promising. It has a good location in Cathedral Quarter, on the site of the former 27 Talbot Street restaurant. Cathedral quarter is brimming with most of the best restaurants in Belfast, so from the off you expect them to be at the top of their game.

The interior of Mumbai 27 is very well done - they've got the expected slightly risque Indian art, and have cleverly put translucent curtains between the tables, so you get a sense of privacy from other diners.

They do coctails competently and have a decent list of wine and beers (cobra present and correct). Service is good, and was probably better than most I've encountered recently. I appreciate speed!

Food though... The menu looks good, there is a fair selection of interesting novel Indian dishes, a speciality section for their tandoori oven, and a very brief list of what they call "vintage classics", which is typical dishes you'd expect to see in an Indian take-away.

My starter was the lamb kebab, which my regular dining partner amusingly noted looked like "two turds on a plate". It tasted OK, nothing exceptional, but not bad. It came with a mysterious green dip that we thought had lime and corriander in it. She had scampi started. It wasn't described as scampi, but that is what it was. Quite nice, but it came with exactly the same mysterious green sauce that my starter had - bit of a lack of imagination there.

Main for me was giant prawns from the tandoori. I saw another diner getting these and thought they looked fantastic - like 3 lobster tail shells on a sizzling plate. Turned out they just looked fantastic... the shells were for appearance only. The prawns were just at the end. To be fair, they probably came from the shells, and did taste tandoori, but 3 was a bit mean. They came with a bog-standard vegetable curry on the side. My partner ordered the whole sea bass from the Tandoori, but it was off, so she had a prawn curry. This was the same 3 prawns that I got, except in their half shells, and with a rich tomatoey sauce that might have passed for a mediterranean one. I thought it was quite nice, but bizarrely it was served on super-noodles. Really. The exact same ones you get for 39p from your favourite pound store, and I know this because my daughter had them the previous day. This might have been an attempt at originality or post-modern-irony, but it just seemed cheap and not Indian.

Side orders were a saffron rice, which didn't have any obvious saffron in it (it had some fried onions on top) and a rather good Peshwari naan. We didn't have a desert, but the deserts were mostly variations on ice-cream anyway.

Overall... good service, good location, average food.

1  Thank D K
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Unique food, all came out hot, fresh with delicious flavour combinations especially the starters. Perfect service, gorgeous cocktails, and the restaurant is beautifully decorated. I cannot rate it highly enough!!! You have to go try, there is no other indian compares to it in Belfast at the minute, and its very handy for nights out in the Cathedral Quarter.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited here with a group of friends and we would all recommend it and will be making a return visit.

The food was excellent and the waiter was only too keen to advise and make recommendations to suit all tastes.

The only complaint would be that the staff are too eager to clear the dishes and I had to tell two separate waiters that's we weren't finished. Other reviewers have also mentioned this and I hope they take it into account advise the waiting staff to relax a little.

I wouldn't let that put me off and will be returning. Definitely worth a visit.