“Pub Grub at it's very best”
Review of The Hudson Bar

The Hudson Bar
Ranked #168 of 1,073 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Pub Grub at it's very best”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This has become my bar of choice, when going out, Quirky style excellent staff, great pints and the Chicken Wings are Belfast's best. :)

The Yard (Beer Garden) is pretty special. Def give this place a visit you won't be disappointed

Belfast
“Too dear, poor selection of beer and off the beaten track”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Went last night after the odyssey Heineken star awards. Went to the bar for two pints and received £1.40 back out of a tenner. What's that all about? Total rip off. I've had cheaper in London and Dublin.

Setting is in a run down area of the city. Prices should reflect this. I'm sure the owner is paying less rent than the Duke of York for example.

Bar was extremely slow. It wasn't that busy. Staff just seemed really chilled out and not bothered.

There was not one German branded beer available behind the bar. What's the craic here? German beer rocks. You can't run a bar without having at least one type of German beer on offer.

Then went to get something to eat in their takeaway - just off the beer garden. The girl serving didn't have a clue what the items on the menu actually were. Mind you I can't blame her. Entire menu bar the chicken wings was in either French or Italian. No chips, no pizza, no burgers, no kebabs. I was told the only things they had were boiled potatoes chopped
with spices or chicken wings!!! Dead on guys.

Avoid this place. I don't think I will be back. There's too much choice in Belfast for me to have to

Save your money. Go else where

29 Thank RyanBelfast
HudsonMurray, Manager at The Hudson Bar, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi Ryan,

Firstly, thank you for your review. In the two years we have been open, we hadn't received a review so bad that it deserved a response. What I'll do here is respond to each of your points in order and then do a bit of summing up at the end.

So, first up, price. OK. Judging by the amount of change you received from your tenner, it appears you have ordered one of our premium beers, possibly Peroni or Tiger. We offer draught beer at a variety of prices so everyone can find a beer at a price they feel is fair. Heineken for example, would be more affordable at £3.60 a pint, perhaps you were tired of Heineken after attending their awards show though, I can understand that, we did win Heineken Starserve Bar of The Year though so missing out on an award-winning pint was a bit silly.

Setting. It's not run-down, we prefer "up and coming". Get it right.

Bar was slow. Now this is just plain wrong. As you mentioned earlier, you visited us after attending the Heineken Awards in the Odyssey. Did you arrive on one of the two double decker buses who delivered around 500 hundred people from said awards to the bar? To say the bar "wasn't that busy" is ridiculous.

Not one German beer. Ryan, this ties in nicely with the summary in your title which accuses us of having a "poor selection of beer", we have a bottled beer list which comes in around the 40+ mark and 10+ draught offerings. Not what I, or any of the previous reviewers on here, would call poor.
With regards the no German beer thing, had you read one of our beer lists (I don't blame if you didn't, it's about 10 pages long, heavy going) you would've seen that we list them all by country of origin, even including an explanation for why we don't carry any German beers. Seeing as you've said you'll not be back, I'll tell you; it's because you can get them anywhere. We pride ourselves on doing things a bit differently.

Takeaway in the beer garden. This is called Cucina Povera. It's a new offering from us, very new in fact. It would've been less that a day old when you visited. If the girl serving you "didn't have a clue", give her a break. It's her first day. In the first day of a brand new business.
Now, the menu isn't actually in French or Italian. The name is Italian, it translates roughly to "Peasants Kitchen". It's a bit of a concept thing, we will be serving good peasant stews, curries, soups... earthy stuff basically, and in the evenings we intend to serve good, hearty, street food. Such as the chicken wings and patatas bravas you found offered last night.
You'll not find us doing the traditional drunken takeaway of burgers and chips I'm afraid.

To sum it all up Ryan, I just don't think you got us at all. I'm sorry we didn't have any cheap German beer for you to drink or a cheap doner kebab for you to eat on the way home. See, the thing is, as I said earlier, we like to do things differently.
Luckily for you, as you've said, there is just "too much choice in Belfast" for you to get the night out you want.

We are very proud to be "off the beaten track" and fully intend to stay that way.

Michael Murray
Marketing Manager
The Hudson Bar
belfast
“great spot”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

here you will get draught beer you will get few other places and a bottle beer selection like no other bar the garrick. chicken wings are always good and the team are most impressive. Good atmos on rugby days

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank lirqalo2
Belfast
“Simply a gem”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I visited the Hudson for the first time on a Tuesday night for a drink and a catchup with friends. It was the best first impression of a bar I've ever had with the warmest staff, who seem to genuinely enjoy working there. They will welcome you in like an old friend and were enthusiastic and knowledgable when it came to recommending beers.

The decor is thoughtful but unpretentious – really loved the old, kind of eccentric, style. Probably the only bar I've been in that doesn't have wet & sticky tables, the whole place was so clean, including the toilet which feels more like you're in someone's home..

The only thing the Hudson could stand to lose is the very large flat screen TV in the downstairs bar which is bright and out of place, it really doesn't need it and it detracted a little from the overall charm. Apart from this they seem to have perfected catering for people who like to enjoy music and talk at the same time!

I can't wait to go back as although it was probably one of their quietest nights of the week the atmosphere was still great and we had a really enjoyable night. It was great to find a new haunt tucked away from the usual suspects in Belfast city centre and I'll definitely be recommending it. Thanks guys.

10 Thank RachelDorothy
belfast
“one of the best”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Love, love, love this bar....from the craft ales they serve to the hospitality of the staff.....if you are in Belfast do not miss out this cracking bar.....off the beaten path, but that is half its charm. Go visit.

Visited August 2013