“Never Again”
Review of Ten Square

Ten Square
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We have stayed in Ten Square on half a dozen occasions; the fact that we have returned is testament to the staff attitude to fix previous problems and the general standard of the hotel itself. However, on our last ever visit this October, my husband and I were incredibly disappointed with our stay. Our room was located directly over the nightclub, a bit unfortunate as the noise continued until 3am. The service at dinner was unacceptably slow, the staff seemed to pay more attention to non residents at the bar than those who had pre paid for dinner, and our cocktails were less than impressive, my first margarita being 70% salt was a bad start that should have set the bar low enough for us to leave, but we persevered and to be fair our waiter tried his best, however a 30 minute wait for replacement drinks is just not on, not at those prices. On return to our room things took a decidedly less genial turn, my pillow was stained with blood, which is pretty unforgivable as it has to have been glaring obvious to the staff - anyone who has stayed before will know that all Ten Square linens are pure white, so whoever made our bed simply turned the pillow over, they cant have failed to spot the stains. The next morning we descended for breakfast to find the lovely Ten Square menu we have salivated over on previous visits was gone it was all bain marie food which is NOT 4 star standard, and was greasy and cold, very uninviting. We had to ask 4 times for milk jugs to be replaced as all were filthy, two cups and 2 glasses also had to be removed from our table as they were not fit for use. When I read back on the list of issues it sounds like I am being harsh, but in fairness my husband and I have had some amazing times in Ten Square, and we hoped by having a word at reception and filling in our card before departure that some effort would be made to improve at least explain the failings. To date we have heard nothing, zip, nada which is quite frankly unforgivable, so we will be back to Belfast without a doubt, but will never again stay in Ten Square and we will stop recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicolaHR
TenSquareManager, Guest Relations Manager at Ten Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at Ten Square. At Ten Square, we appreciate feedback and take suggestions and criticisms on board. It is through constructive feedback such as yours that allows us to better serve our guests time and time again.

I would first like to take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused throughout the duration of your stay. I was very disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to our usual high criterion. All your comments have been passed on to relevant staff and managers to ensure no repetition of your experience occurs.
It is with regret that the issues detailed in your review were not resolved in entirety at the time of your stay. Please be assured that this is not the environment that we endeavour to create at Ten Square.

I feel certain that given the chance we can demonstrate that your recent experience was truly an exception. Since you have enjoyed your previous stays I hope that you will return to Ten Square to enjoy the experience of which we are truly proud.

With Kindest Regards
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed November 4, 2010

We booked Ten Square to celebrate our anniversary and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left it was such an enjoyable experience that i can't wait to do again!
Each memeber of staff was a friendly and helpful as the next and the food and drink was the best. We had planned to make a night on the town but ended up enjoying the entertainment at the hotel.
Waking up to a feast of a breakfast the next morning - served until 1pm... definitely one to recommend!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed in Ten Square last week and it had been the second time at the hotel in recent months. After a long day it was lovely to be greeted by a friendly face on Check in, who chatted away and informed me of all of the hotel facilities. Once you walk inside Ten Square the hustle and bustle of the city streets quickly disappears to a relaxed, chilled candle light atmosphere. The rooms are extremely comfortable with great attention to detail including cosy robes, a really well stocked mini bar and snack bar and trendy decor but with an classical feel. As I was checking out at 6.00am and couldn;t make breakfast the front desk offered me a continental breakfast instead if I wished. Nice touch. Great hotel, would have no hesitation in recommending it for business or pleasure purposes. I'd also asked on arrival if there was a spa facility in the hotel. There was none but again Front Desk said that they could ring a few in the area if I wanted to make an appointment. So all in all an extremely positive experience and great to see the customer is top priority on all levels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2010

What struck me about the hotel from the start was the friendliness of the staff. They gave the impression they really cared that you had a good stay with them.

The hotel does not have a car park which is it's main disadvantage. The receptionist pointed out where the nearest multistorey car park was (about 300m). She also said if we managed obtain street parking nearby they could put money in the meter in the morning so we would not have any pressure to rise early - I was very impressed with this though we opted for the car park.

Ten Square is located opposite city hall. Rooms (superior) faced the hall, were spacious enough, clean, comfortable with a well stocked minibar. We turned on the TV in our room on our 2nd and last night but pictures were all shadede red. Reception responded quickly and tried unsuccessfully to get it working properly. They did not succeed and were very apologetic - immediately saying they would take £20 off the bill and offering us another room despite our saying that it was no great inconvenience.

There was a good buzz to the hotel with many locals arrriving to eat and drink. The foyer is a fairly small area but has a quiet area where one can relax. The nice thing is that this is not a characterless chain establishment.

There was an odour of air freshener taking the stairs to our rooms which was a little disconcerting but this became less prominent by the end of our two day stay.

The location is great - within walking distance of shops and other attractions. We just parked the car for the duration of our stay. Reception gladly organised a taxi tour of Belfast covering the main trouble spots (Falls Road and Shankill Road) with a great non judgemental synopsis of the historry from the late sixties onwards.

We will stay here again if we return to Belfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The Hotel, the location, the staff, the food and the ambience are just first rate !

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Went for the night to celebrate Husbands birthday. Got a lovely friendly welcome at reception on arrival. Got a beautiful room on the top floor (Room 309) Loved the special touch of the rose petals on the bed and Truffles and cookies to eat, oh and the birthday card signed from the staff. Bed and pillows were so comfortable. Evening meal in resturant was very tasty. Very quick and friendly service. Loved the location, right in City centre. Breakfast was a buffet style, and was very nice with a good selection. Then to top it all Sean Bean (Sharpe) was having breakfast in the resturant too...Nice surprise....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank youngj71
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I went here with my mum and two sisters. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with the warmest of welcomes. The staff couldn't have done more for us. From helping us park our car to arranging a bigger room for my heavily pregnant sister on a Quiet floor. We ate in their restaurant as part of an amazing deal for our overnight stay. Food was fantastic and again the staff bent over backwards for us. The hotel is smack bang in the centre of belfast where we could walk around for hours shopping and return with ease. No taxis needed at night either.I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for comfort, location and possibly the nicest hotel staff I have ever dealt with.

• Stayed: October 2010