“Worth a visit”

Ranked #25 of 1,052 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The food at home is vibrant and bold yet familiar and comforting making our customers happy and our team proud. Made fresh every day, free from preservatives and colourings, we always try to source our foods locally from Northern Ireland or as close to home as we can. Top class meats as well as veggie, vegan and gluten free.
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Went here as had heard they were good. I wasn't disappointed as everything was excellent. Nice food, friendly, efficient staff, lovely atmosphere, good value. Will be back

Belfast
“An extra point added for great service”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had heard very good things about Home Restaurant - namely that it consistently serves quality food in sensible portions - and therefore I thought it a safe bet to take my rather demanding mother who was visiting for the weekend and who has an unfortunate propensity for complaining everywhere I take her.

Sadly she did manage to find cause for complaint - she said her scallop risotto was too oily and sent it back - but for the rest of us we found the food to be decent enough without ever being delicious. My starter of duck pate was huge; less greedy people would probably have left half of it, but it was lacking in flavour, as was the one dimensional chutney it came with. My partner ordered scallop ceviche which he later told me tasted of precisely nothing. The parents both ordered whipped goats cheese and said it was nice enough.

For main course, my stepdad and I ordered the ribeye steak and chips - the thyme and lemon butter was the star of the show. The rest of the meal again tasted curiously of nothing. Also, I ordered my steak medium-rare, he requested medium-well done. Both came out medium and I don't think the pan was hot enough as the steak didn't have that satisfying caramelisation on the outside that a good ribeye would normally have and which holds most of the flavour.

So overall, the food was underwhelming. I'm sure lots of people will go for it but personally I prefer smaller portions and bigger flavour. The service, however, was excellent, and our waiter dealt with my mother's embarrassing complaint with aplomb.

• Visited March 2013
Ireland
“Friendly staff, lovely food, great choice on menu”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently ate here as a couple. Lovely atmosphere on arrival, quite informal. Having read comments on here regarding the staff, I wasn't expecting much in that regard. However, all of our encounters with the staff were extremely pleasant. Our server in particular was really friendly and informative regarding the menu. We had a slight mix-up with the orders, which I actually didn't mention to anyone as it was one of the dishes I was contemplating ordering in the first place. However once the server returned to our table to pour our lovely wine, he immediately noticed I had been brought the wrong dish. After many unnecessary apologies (it was really tasty, I was quite happy), he also brought me a portion of the original dish I had ordered. This was later followed by a cheese board, and two glasses of port on the house to make up for the mistake - which again I felt was totally unnecessary on their part as I hadn't complained and was quite happy to eat the dish I had. However the sentiment was much appreciated by us, and based on the lovely choice, great choice of dishes (including vegetarian), and their willingness to make up for a small error, we will definitely return. Yum

• Visited March 2013
“Good Safe food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall not bad, we went for Sunday lunch with most dishes around the £10 for a main, but the roast special was £16.95 a bit of a difference!

Food quality is good and the presentation, the main down side is the atmosphere that day, apart from our table only 2 others were occupied!

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Why Have I Not Been Before?”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

For some considerable time I have meant to visit Home with the Advisor. We went last night,6/4/13 & it was superb.
How come this isn't in the McKenna's 100 Best Restaurants in Ireland instead of James St South I'll never know.
Great buzz about the place, very busy & after our starters I know why.
Greeted with a cheery smile & shown straight to our table. Nice range of starters & mains all reasonably priced.
The Advisor had a bacon & Blue cheese salad for starters which she stated as being the best starter she has ever had. Scrumptious! Duck pate for myself served with Asian slaw & spiced apple, again delicious.
For mains,lamb for the Advisor & roasted cod for me. Again both were excellent, nicely presented & delicious.
Service was friendly, efficient & unobtrusive.
No room for desserts, just coffee.
All in all an excellent meal, quality food reasonably priced. Definitely we will be a regular diners here.