“Great venue and good food :)”
Review of Home Restaurant

Home Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 1,116 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The food at home is vibrant and bold yet familiar and comforting making our customers happy and our team proud. Made fresh every day, free from preservatives and colourings, we always try to source our foods locally from Northern Ireland or as close to home as we can. Top class meats as well as veggie, vegan and gluten free.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I went to Home when in Calendar Street and the staff and service was excellent. Food excellent and it was so reasonable as it was BYO. Great night and will certainly visit Wellington Place venue.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Home used to be on Callendar street behind M&S, where it replaced Alden's in the city. It styled itself as a pop-up restaurant at that point, and lasted less than a year before popping off. Now it is back on Wellington place, and is bigger, fully licenced and a pop-up no more.

The dining area is modern and split for some reason into two halves. Maybe the half near the window/front door becomes a pub later on.

Service was friendly and efficient, and they were pretty busy for a Thursday night, which shows that they are popular. The menu is mostly French/Italian with the odd stir-fry/asian thing thrown in. They have a regular menu, and a vegetarian menu, which actually has dedicated vegitarian options, not just the main menu sans meat. Interestingly, they also have "while you wait" options - like olives and breads. Didn't have these. Instead, my starter was the Jerusalem artichoke risotto with crispy sage and pine nuts. Very creamy, tasty (although not of artichoke) and just right size for a starter. My regular dining partner had the fiery bean soup, which was mixed beans/tomato and had quite a kick, which she claimed was Chipottle, refined taste buds that she has. We both had wine by the glass. Good start.

Main, and I went for Hake on bean and chorizo cassoulet. Not at all a cassoulet it was harricot beans with bits of Chorizo. Could have been more interesting, but still nice to eat. She had the scallop linguine. This was much better (I wish I'd ordered it) and had a very generous portion of small scallops (sadly without their roe) over lingine, dressed with a spartan amount of sunblush tomato sauce - just the right amount to not drown out the scallops. Excellent dish.

Stuffed, we didn't order deserts and left happy and eager to return. A friend of mine has since spoken to me to say that it is a great spot that she visits often - further endorsement!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Dined here last week with my family. I was really impressed with the food. I had the lobster and it was delicious! It was a bit noisy at times and service was a bit slow to start with but would definitely go back for the lobster.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Went with a group. Mackerel starter, interesting presentation but superfluous. Mackerel was supposed to be smoked I think but if it was it was pretty light. Bread only toasted on one side - maybe it's was supposed to be that way don't know. Pork cheeks in red wine. Never had cheeks before and meat was very tasty indeed. Came with a white bean succotash which had excess cream and quite salty because of the bacon added. Really could take or leave it and didn't think it went well with the pork.
Didn't have pudding.
Again the restaurant was very noisy and having to raise voice excessively to converse. Several of the women sounded hoarse at the end of the meal and pretty sure it wasn't due to cigs. Ceiling was bare in the current cool fashion but makes places like this an acoustic nightmare. Have a particular dislike for noisy restaurants and so I'll not be back even though to be fair I would give their menu another whirl.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My partner has been to this restaurant 3 times but the first time yesterday with me. I won't be back. It took so long to get served, the steak was overcooked and service was slow. When we arrived there was only 2 people in the restaurant with lots of free tables. When we asked if we could sit near the window the waitress said yes but try and sit at a small table because we were a party of two. Yet not long after that she sat two people herself at a much larger table! Took forever to get an order placed and after I went looking for someone that eventually happened. Had breads and oils. I watched the waiter microwave the bread for a short time before slicing and bringing to us. Needless to say it was warm but then hard. They waited for ages while we nibbled at the bread but had set our plates to the side which I thought was a clear sign we were finished or you could bring the mains. They then asked if we were finished and they would bring the mains. Food not overly warm and my med to well done steak was beyond well done and tasteless. Just disappointed and frustrated with constant chasing of staff to do something for us.Won't be back

2  Thank lavazza_9