“Consistently Good”

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I arrived at the Mandarin City Chinese restaurant on Wednesday evening slightly early, after seven, so ventured to the counter and ordered a snifter, which happened to be Bombay Sapphire.

Isn't it a wonder the Political Correctness Brigade hasn't changed that to Mumbai Sapphire? Ha!

As I sat sipping the restorative, I observed that most of the takeaway customers had a certain rapport with the staff; obviously a good sign.

I have to say that I've been coming to this Chinese establishment occasionally since it opened its doors about 25 years ago (that's a guess: do any readers know when it actually opened?).

BP duly arrived at about seven thirty and we were promptly shown to our table.

The staff here are well presented, diligent and courteous, in my experience.

The decor and ambiance is one of opulence, in an Oriental sense, comfort, warmth and well-being; which actually belies the exterior facade, which appears rather more prosaic.

The restaurant was almost full, quite a statement of Success, given that it was a Wednesday, let alone the current economic circumstances.

Mandarin City is actually quite large, seating probably over 100 people on a full night.

BP ordered the usual chicken in honey and chilli sauce; while I had the king prawns kung po.

Frankly I have never been disappointed here yet. The cuisine was as good as ever. BP gave the chicken the thumbs-up; I relished my big, juicy prawns, served with plenty of vegetables, including a few baby carrots.

Pudding consisted of strawberry cheesecake with whipped cream for me; while BP had the banana fritters.

We concluded the meal with coffee, accompanied by the complimentary after-dinner mint and Chinese biscuit.

The bill came to about £60, including drinks.

2  Thank Tim B

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I visit this restaurant everytime i feel like a chinese. Such yummy food! Well worth a visit! The best Chinese I know, expensive but truely worth it :)

2  Thank millvm2016
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Seven of us visited the Mandarin city last night, with two American relatives. Ive eaten here twice before and always enjoyed the food.
Last night was no exception.
The food was delicious, the service great.
And at the end, the gave all seven of us complimentary shots!
We had a great night.
Thank you to all the waiting staff ( who were rushed off their feet. )
You truly deserve the five stars I've given you

2  Thank Anita C
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have a friend who raves about this restaurant so I had to try it recently. I found the prices a lot higher than other good Chinese restaurants and the food not as good as some. Service is quick and staff OK, depending on who serves you. Think I will go back to my own favourite,

2  Thank Irishflojo
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have used the Mandarin City many times over the years but at my recent visit it seemed to be going off. The food was good but used to be exceptional. The staff were very rushed and the table we had specifically requested was not kept. Service was ok but not superb and it was just a year ago. Hopefully I just was there on a bad night because I am genuinely fond of this place.

3  Thank KenCountyDown