“Lively Casual and Delicious”
Review of Il Pirata

Il Pirata
Ranked #78 of 1,135 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have visited Il Pirata several times since it opened, most recently just two weeks ago. The menu is varied with lots of local and seasonal produce on offer. The Beef Cheeks were on the specials menu when we last visited and were truly melt in the mouth to die for. I had seafood linguine as a main and it was beautiful. Soft as butter pieces of calamari and a delicious light and creamy sauce.
The service is functional, but not overly efficient or friendly, the decor is industrial and rather dark in the evenings, bring a torch for the menu. I am not a fan of staff wearing what they like, but I may be a dinosaur.Also, if you like quiet and intimate go elsewhere, it has no soft furnishings so is extremely noisy.

Overall the food is top quality but I feel the service and decor could be cheered up a little.
Oh and the loo is grotty but mostly clean.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've eaten here quite often but rarely for lunch & like what they do. Popped in for a quick lunch today and was offered the #2.5.3 lunch menu, which is a choice of starters for £2, mains for £5 and desert for £3 based round their more popular dishes. I just had one course, beef pappardelle which had loads of flavour with a bit of a spicy kick, the parpadelle was a little too al dente but not worth getting worried about. Good coffee, service good as ever, they have good staff retention which is always a good sign.

You could choose from the main menu but wouldn't understand why you would with the quality and value of the lunch menu. Definitely will be back.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

This place has decent food and nice decor, probably aimed toward a more sort of 'hipster' kind of clientele, think bare, rough wood, old school chairs for seating and chalk boards and bare ceiling lights. The food comes in 'small plate' options as well as regular main-meal portions. The food was nice, but I couldn't get a straight answer about roughly what size the 'small plate' portions were-turns out they are tapas size, so I actually left abit hungry. So next time I'll play safe and order one of the bowls of pasta I saw getting taken to another table instead!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Went here in November for a late lunch and the menu looked okay. We ordered a number of chichetti and were sorely disappointed with some, as the bread while supposedly crisp was quite hard and one could have lost a tooth. Together with the small amount of smoked fish with the latter it was definitely not worth approx. £4 a pop. Some of the chichettis were nice. Overall for what we received in terms of quality along with two lemonades £28 was quite expensive.
I had read so much about this place and it is rare I am at this side of town, this was a reason for to give it a go. Would I go back? No, would be the honest answer. Certainly the missus would not return!
Service was pleasant and that was the saving grace. I think Coppi in St. Anne's Square in the Cathedral Quarter is much superior.

1  Thank theblackwitch
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Having read rave review on Trip-advisor, I couldn't wait to eat in the establishment. A previous reviewer commented that you would need a torch to read the menu, how right they were. I could not read the menu and had to use the torch on my mobile. When the food arrived it was delicious but I couldn't see my friends beef cheeks (his food), or the duck ragu!
The staff and the service was very good, but please put an extra 50p in the meter.