“so much for all 07-012awards: lunchtime was an unateable experience”

Swantons Gourmet Foods
Ranked #458 of 1,060 Restaurants in Belfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Bangor, United Kingdom
“so much for all 07-012awards: lunchtime was an unateable experience”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Swantons Gourmet foods may hold a wall full of food awards since 2007-2012 but this lunchtime when I arrived @12.30pm, I had my high expectation food treat lunch squashed by poor food and service.
Menu had a good selection of breakfast , sandwiches & soup but noticed that the prices were quite high for just a sandwich against their soup& sandwich combo, that was better value and option for the same price..My business partner chose this and had no complaint.
I choose their "days special" which was a garlic tomato creamy based chicken in pasta with a slice of garlic bread.
I didnt expect the chicken pasta to arrive at the table in a somewhat making its mind up to being in a luke warm/ cold on a cold plate mood.
I had to poke my way around it,cause my efforts to catch someone attention to complain about it was futile.
One reason being the music was to loud coming from the upper service prep area so by sitting nearest at the front door, they just couldnt hear me.

Once I got serve attention I then asked what way that dish was suppose to be served, which came back in reply, "that it was suppose to be a hot lunch".
I accepted the instant gesture of an apology and deduction from my bill.
I didnt think twice to then continued to order a tray bake of carrot cake to go with my lonely cuppa of tea.
Oh dear oh dear the walnut cream topping was hard, and it tasted off . As for the carrot cake bit,, it tasted stale,, which with a guess it was probably two or more days old probably covered in cling film in the fridge.
I was so embarassed for them that I could only scrunch up my napkin to hide the appauling unateable left overs.

I will not be recommending this place or will return for a business meeting place lunch unfortunately. Personally I was put off from experiencing such sub standards with food and serve..

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank andi042
DebbieN_Ireland, Owner at Swantons Gourmet Foods, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
What a disappointment for us all to see such a review. We pride ourselves in great food and service, unfortunately your experience got neither. There is no excuse to be made for our team. We profoundly apologise and hope that at another time you give us another try.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service for a great price”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was my first visit to Swantons but wont be my last, The service was superb, we turned up in a group of nine and this was no problem for the staff. They were so helpful at seating us at the earliest convenience. We didn't have to wait long before our order was taken and drinks provided. Now for the food, we had a wide selection of sandwiches and snacks, I had the Chilli chicken wrap and it was beautiful, very fresh and delightfully presented. All this and the service was given with a smile. The staff were very friendly knowing from my accent that I was not from Belfast but made to feel at home. The whole experience was great and I cant wait to go back. This review might seem a bit over the top but it was a delightful lunch. Certainly would recommend Swantons to my friends.

• Visited August 2013
DebbieN_Ireland, Owner at Swantons Gourmet Foods, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to express your delight at visiting Swantons. The pleasure was all ours, you were a great bunch of guys a delight to serve and the banter great too. See you all back at Swantons very soon.
Debbie
belfastbear
“Better than Ever”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been having beakfast/brunch at Swantons for a number of years and the change of ownership has brought a distinctively modern and fresh twist to the place. The 'new' Swantons feels cleaner, more friendly and less of a spot for ' ladies that lunch'
The menu might be a little on the pricey side - but you get what you pay for and the standard of food is higher than ever. Sandwiches and salads are packed with flavour and the coffee is strong and flavoursome.
I think that the main reason we continue to return most Saturdays is the level of service we receive. The owners genuinely care about their customers and take the time to get to know them, learn their Iikes and dislikes and attempt to meet any special requirements. They know how we take our coffee, which tray bakes we prefer and how we like our eggs done and that makes a customer feel special....
We have tried most, if not all, of the Lisburn Road caves/eateries, but none comes close to providing the level of service we have learnt to expect at Swantons...
Keep up the good work Debbie & Roy!!!

• Visited July 2013
DebbieN_Ireland, Owner at Swantons Gourmet Foods, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you so much for all your great comments. We have a great team at Swantons and continue to work hard in providing a friendly and welcoming place for our valued customers, along with great food and service. Its great to get positive feedback, it makes all the hard work worthwhile. Hope to see you all soon for breakfast at Swantons.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good food, great coffee”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Met a friend for lunch at Swantons. We both had soup and a sandwich. Soups were really tasty, celery and cheese and vegetable. Our sandwiches chilli chicken and ham and cheese well filled. We ended with a cafetiere of coffee and a couple of chocolate tray bakes. I've always found the staff welcoming an we had an enjoyable lunch in bright clean surroundings.

Visited June 2013
Belfast
“Delightful find on Lisburn Road”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Have been a customer for a little while now and have found the food delicious, of the best quality and value for money. The refurbishment is modern and more welcoming than before. It is bright and suits all the family. I can say nothing other than positive things about this lovely cafe. I visit the other cafes and restaurants on this road but ultimately find myself returning to Swantons as the food is not only delicious, presented beautifully but served by excellent staff. The staff are friendly and accommodating, even when extremely busy. I encourage all my friends to go to Swantons. All agree with my assessment. Great to see Swantons open on Sundays. Nothing like Sunday brunch!

• Visited July 2013
DebbieN_Ireland, Owner at Swantons Gourmet Foods, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We aim to please at Swantons and work very hard to keep our standards and choice of foods high. It's nice to know that all our hard work is paying off. Thanks again.