“Amazing!!!!”

Chalco's Mexican Grill
Ranked #398 of 1,087 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a fast Casual restaurant serving Authentic Mexican Food. We are known for huge portions, great service, and good prices. We make everything in house from our salsas, rice, beans, to our succulent Carnitas. We marinate our own meats and cook everything fresh. Come check us out and try some real Mexican Food. Located on the Lisburn Road, next to Ryan's Bar.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I went here Saturday night around 730pm at the Lisburn Road location. We usually like to go to BYO restaurants in Belfast, as we like to save a penny here and there. The place was buzzing from the minute we walked in. Not a seat in the house, so we had to sit next to the window as it was so busy. The girl was very friendly to us. As we got greeted with some delicious tortilla chips and some lovely salsa. She brought us wine glasses right away and some menus. Overall the staff were really trying hard. They were jam packed and still managed to keep a smile on their faces. We ordered enchiladas and one of the Shredded Pork platters. The pork was amazing, Full of flavor and cooked to perfection. My wife finished all of her enchiladas and she is usually a light eater. The seats were comfortable, the staff was great, and the food was lovely. Huge portions and great value for your money. We will definitely be back. Oh and did I mention NO CORKAGE? Unreal. Will see you guys soon! but guys book in advance.

There are newer reviews for Chalco's Mexican Grill

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Pop in after work some nights after work if I'm feeling too lazy to cook. Pork/Chicken burritos are fantastic. I enjoy Boojum too, but I would choose chalco's over it any day because of the mango salsa. Sounds weird but it's fantastic!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went here tonight on the back of the positive reviews and it was one of the worst meals I have ever had. I ordered Fajitas and it came with no salsa and 2 small wraps. The problem was is that there was absolutely no taste to it, I asked at the counter for some salsa and rice for my wife's veggie tacos as there wasn't much in them. Salsa was ok, but the food isn't a patch on boojum. Guy wasn't particularly friendly, although the girls were nice. I really wanted to like here, BYO, big portions and reasonable, but it wasn't to be :o(. Perhaps we just got bad meals, but we both left very disappointed!

1  Thank wuccums
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited the Chalcos on Royal Ave this evening. I'm a Boojum fan so was keen to see how it would compare. Had the burrito with the tomato sauce on top- it was SO filling and tasty. Also had the lovely fresh lemonade (only £1 per person) and we were given a big bottle to do 4, never mind two- very generous. The food was good value and I really enjoyed it. The owner was very friendly and chatted to us, making our experience very welcoming. Will be back for more!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have to start this review stating that I go to Chalco on the Lisburn Road usually once a week and it really is fantastic, you will not get a better Burrito in Belfast. The serving staff aren't always the friendliest but the owners are always fantastic.

As I work in the city centre I was really happy to hear that Chalcos was coming near my work as I take clients out for quick bites all the time and would also like the option of getting a Chalco on fridays etc.

When the the Royal Avenue shop opened I went in during the first few days and had a good Burrito, not as good as the Lisburn Road shop but still good. I expected this to get better over time and put it down to teething problems.

When making my Burrito my server managed to drop chicken into their tray of beans which was fine as I then offered to take a scoop of the beans which had chicken in it. Nonetheless , I'm not sure a strict vegetarian would appreciate this kind of thing happening and the beans not being replaced.

One of the owners from the Lisburn road store was there keeping everything in check and you could really see him keeping on top of things. Over all I left satisfied as the portion size was big and the meats/fillings were pretty good.

Fast forward to early February,

I took my colleague into Royal Avenue Chalco as I had been ranting and raving about they had the best burrito's in Belfast.
This time there was no sign of the owners ...

After being asked what I wanted and the meat being put into the wrap it was then passed down the table for salads etc and the lady puts loads in there so I thought I was in for a good feed.
I had to wait while the lady who was in charge of the salad etc had a chat with someone about tattoos and/or piercings prices/options. No offence but I do not want to hear about this kind of thing when about to eat, never mind when the conversation she was having meant I had to stand there for a few minutes while my lay out getting cold. I could even notice the first server making gestures at her to stop.

After this was over I requested all the salads/ extras I wanted and she proceeded to fold the Burrito. It turns out the first server had put too much meat in it and it ripped when folded.
In theory I would have no objection to simply having the Burrito repacked but the way in which the second server did it... It was lifted up and ripped apart so carelessly that some of the juices from the burrito went all over the serving area and into the majority of the salads/extras. Also, because it was done to badly it was a far cry away from seeing a burrito nicely filled and folded, this looked like a complete mess when sprawled out onto another wrap and I couldn't believe I was seriously considering not eating a chalco burrito!

The filling in the Burrito itself was pretty cold and all the meats simply didn't have the same flavour as the Lisburn road shop as well as a lot of the meats being pretty tough.
My colleague had the same experience with his burrito fillings and agreed it was pretty poor, a far cry from what I was used to at lisburn road.

Overall a pretty poor experience overall for the new shop, I really feel it doesn't have the same atmosphere as the Lisburn road store either and I think the new shop really suffers when the owners aren't there to keep things in check.

I hope this is taken as constructive criticism and that the new store will will improve upon this.

1  Thank FoodDude87
Gerardo J, Owner at Chalco's Mexican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

We are terribly sorry that you did not have a great Chalco's experience. Our new shop in town does have loads of new staff, whom are still under training. We have brought in some more staff from Lisburn Road to keep Royal Avenue up to standards as Lisburn Road. I'd appreciate if you sent me an email address to discuss and get to the bottom of this problem. I will not tolerate any staff treating our amazing loyal customers in that manner. I would also like to send you a Chalco's Voucher as a form of apology for your bad experience. Here at Chalco's Mexican Food we thrive on great customer service and great tasting food. The relationship we have with our customers is like if your part of our familia. We hope to see you in the future and thank you for your comment.