“A feast for the eyes as well as the tongue”
Review of Hooples - CLOSED

Hooples
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant that provides fine dining in small dishes. Not quite tapas but similar prinicple.
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Visited the restaurant yesterday armed with my groupon voucher for brunch, which I was very much looking forward to. I was not disappointed.

Hooples is beautiful, and the attention to detail is evident everywhere. Our table for two by the long windows was cosy, given that the sun was shining. We ordered lattes which arrived quickly and were lovely. I ordered the chorizo and roasted pepper frittata and he had the eggs benedict. They were both beautifully presented, mine came out in a mini frying pan and smelled as good as it looked. The griddled bread was delicious, and the sauces, both hollondaise and spicy were full of flavour.

We were both really pleased with our bargain brunch and took the opportunity to peruse the dinner menu, which was varied and reasonably priced enough that it would definitely entice us back and, I hope, not before too long.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and i ate in Hooples last night (20th dec).

I bought the groupon deal 3 courses for two for only £30, which is half price.
Great,you'd think. But maybe because you're paying with 'a coupon' you would'nt complain!

We arrived & were greeted pleasently ( oh, yes you have a groupon) & seated.
After ten minutes we ordered, there can't have been any more than five tables already in.

My wife ordered a glass of red wine & a large glass of wine arrived, i had a beer.
We waited 35 minutes for our starter, which when it came it was - nice.

The restaurant is very well fitted out, very open plan with lots of space.
Big windows, open blinds. It was a very wet night & i found the restaurant quite cold - i was, sitting infront of a window. On my wa back from the loo, i felt the restaurant a lot warmer at the bar end.

My wife ordered a second glass of wine & it came about half the measure than the first!
Our main meal came quicker & was presented very well. With a generous side order of seasonal veg.
I had the venison (7oz & no supplement) & my wife had the small but perfect Aberdeen angus 5oz fillet (supplement of £3).
It was so salty & along with the extra salty mash it was very overpowering.
But, we did eat it & apart from the salt it was nice.

I did'nt feel like i should send it back as it had taken so long for the starters & generally when asked in Northern Ireland 'is every thing ok' we said yes!

I did say to our waitress & she apologised, saying it might have been over seasoned. But there was'nt a peppery tast, just salt.

She offered us a glass of wine, we opted to have the coffee's taken off the bill.
For a busy christmas week, it was'nt busy.
Which is a pity, because if you can't do it at christmas then January is going to be extra hard!!
Brendan

2  Thank BelfastBrendy
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Visited this restaurant for the first time today, for lunch. Two of us had the 3 course table d'hote lunch menu, which offered a good choice of starters and main courses, priced at £30 per person. The rest of us opted for the 2 course lunch menu, with a glass of wine for £11.95. All meals were well presented and food was of a very high quality. Full marks to the waiting staff for their welcome and attention.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Went for a meeting with three friends. Ordered a burger of the menu at over £18.00, When it came my friend who ordered the same and I could not believe the size. I never knew you could get a burger bap so small. Side of chips were extra. My other friends order was all mixed up and went to the other table etc. Although the waitress was very helpfull this restaurant will need to look at value for money in this competive market on the Lisburn Road.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Had a delicious meal in Hooples with mum and sister on a quiet Tuesday evening in November... The menu takes a bit of getting used to, a sort of a mixture of tapas style and regular dishes. The chicken breast served on the bone was some of the tastiest and best cooked chicken I have eaten, the monkfish was delicious, the selection of breads fantastic, and I believe the vegetarian mushroom tartlet was also very tasty.
It wasn't cheap but it was worth it for the freshness of the taste and the obvious quality of the ingredients.
The desserts were absolutely gorgeous- the chocolate fondant, made to order, was melt in the mouth, and the panna cotta a delight.
Well woth a visit, and a welcome change from the Lisburn Road's traditional offering, a brave move to open up in these tough times and heres hoping it pays off.