“Service has Gone Downhill”

Chiquito - Belfast - Victoria Square
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tel: 02890436770
Ireland
“Service has Gone Downhill”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We waited 20 minutes a few weeks ago and gave up and walked out without our order being ataken as we had cinema tickets but decided to return as we have loved the placed before.

Decided to try again last Wednesday. Arrived around 5:50 and we were given wine menus. At 6:20 our drink order was taken. We received our drinks and our food order was taken. At 7:20 we were feeling frustrated and confused as trying to get a waiters attention was hard and we counted 3 to 4 staff and a manager with 6 tables at most inside and a party outside on terrace.

The waiter then approached asking to double check as they had 2 dockets for our table. He asked me my friend and fiancé to repeat our orders. He nodded "knowing which docket it was" and left. At this point I was sure he had lost our order as he hadn't mentioned the sides we'd ordered. to get someones attention for another drink and when the waiter stopped we asked for a jug of woo woo. He replied ill bring our summer menu, we said that's ok we want the woo woo cocktail, he dropped the menu and never returned.

I went up to the bar to order. this was about 7:25. I said id wait and bring the drinks down but the waitresses said she wanted to get drinks for people who had just arrived never mind wed been waiting so long. This lady I would say was most frustrating. She stood behind the bar sipping her juice and letting 3/4 trays pile up and after drinks sat for quite a while finally took the initiative (or someone asked her) and starting helping the rest of her team.

We kept trying
Our food finally arrived at 7:50 2 hours after we arrived. The waiter was returning to take a drinks order which never happened and our sides did not come. I had ordered a jug of cocktails at 7:40 which finally came after we were nearly done.

I got up and the manager was at the bar. I asked him to give me my bill and double check the side orders we received weren't on the bill. He shrugged and apologised not to fussed and said hed chat to the waiter. probably would have been better if he had been on the floor rather than out with the group of guys having a laugh and getting caught up with their order.

No discount, no problems taking over £50 from us, no real sincere apologies. I wish I had came on here before paying as I would have asked for the discount others received but didn't want to push it when we had a friend up. We ended up going to one of the other restaurants as the thought of 2 hours more for desserts was not appealing.

Shocking at a time when restaurants fight for money. I would understand if it had been busy but this was poor management of the team. Staff walked about distracted and spraying tables no one had been at, not resetting empty tables. Unbelievable.

Food was lovely, I feel sorry for the chefs as they create good food and once they get the order doesn't take that long to come out. Any other tables of 2 or more experienced same issue but a lady who came in on her own beside us was served and left in less than an hour.

Have to put poor for atmosphere as the restaurant is lovely but the angry annoyed frustrated faces of other customers and including our own did not create a happy environment.

• Visited September 2013

“Decent, tasty - bit pricey”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Read bad reviews for this place - only after I had went in and ordered drinks. Was expecting a lot worse considering the recent bad reviews but the food was great! Had to wait a while for the drinks to come but other than that everything grand. Would defiantly say to give it a go!

• Visited September 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Worst ever”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Were to start?
Upon entering we were advised that we would have a 10 min wait as they did not have a table for five. This was ok with us as we would read the menu. 20 mins later we were shown our table. 20 mins later we eventually managed to make contact with one of the many waiting staff who seemed to congregate at the bar. This girl sent our waiter to our table although she was a little put out that we would actually ask her. Our waiter arrived and proceeded to take our orders with great difficulty, seemly the 100 mile gap between Belfast and Dublin created a near insurmountable dialect barrier for him. (this problem did not occur again in any other establishment ). As we were quite close to the bar counter we could se how our drinks order was handled- they were poured by the bar maid and left for collection by our waiter.......and left....and left... although all the staff used the bar as a meeting place, our drinks were ignored. At this point I was ready to leave but I was convinced that we were not in a hurry by my wife. We then witnessed our waiter remove a straw from one of our drinks and lick it while talking to his colleagues. On seeing him place the straw back into the drink we promptly left.

Belfast, United Kingdom
“It's an embarassment”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was meeting friends in this restaurant on Friday evening and shocked at the service that was provided. I arrived in at 21.30, restaurant was not busy. I ordered a drink and it took 20mins to arrive. My friends (9 in total) had arrived around 20.15 and were only getting their main courses at 21.45. 1 order was wrong and they forgot 2 which we had to wait on again. We complained to the Manager who in my opinion had no experience at all of running a restaurant. He offered vinegar to one of the party who actually had finished their dinner. We asked for the 2 late meals to be deducted from the bill and a further 15% was deducted too. I will not be back to this place and will not be recommending it. Disgraceful!!!!!!

1 Thank Marie-Louise B
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and not worth it”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

First waiter started by taking the order sittibg down at the table with us, didnt like that at all. When the food did arrive my cajun salmon was very bland no cajun flavour at all. My partner had lasagne and said it tasted of cottage pie, no garlic at all, even the waitress cradled it down to the table like some sort of child. The vanilla milkshake had no ice cream was frothy milk with some vanilla essence. For deserts they had run out of churros 3 hours before, could no one go out and get ingredients to make more? I doubt it as I suspect the churros are probably made off site and sent in frozen.
Our friends desert had popcorn in it but too many corn kernals had not popped so made it impossible to finish.
To finish off the bill was way over priced for the average food and service. Not once were we asked was our fook OK and a grand total of 4 waiters, waitresses served us!
There are alot better restaurants in Northern Ireland!!!

1 Thank Scottyboyg