“An excellent attempt at marine preservation”

Lagan Legacy's The Belfast Barge
Ranked #92 of 230 things to do in Belfast
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Since this attraction is know more commonly as the 'Belfast Barge' I suspect many have missed the opportunity to rate it.

Our visit was a delight. We had spotted the barge many the time from the bus and finally made it for a visit. We arrived just after opening time and got started with an excellent video about the historical origins of Belfast. Then it was on to the main exhibition about the shipbuilding history of Belfast. With ship drawings and oral history extracts of those who had worked in the shipyards this was an excellent way to spend about an hour. It was topped off with two well made coffees and a huge scone. We will return!

1  Thank Ulster25
There are newer reviews for Lagan Legacy's The Belfast Barge

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Known as the Belfast Barge moored on the River Lagan behind the Waterfront Hall this not for profit exhibit is a good place to visit for its nominal fee to get an overview of the port. It has some interesting maritime artifacts and a friendly staff available to answer your questions. There is a nice cafe to rest and get refreshments while taking in nice views.

1  Thank Dolores P
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Today I took the Lagan Boat Tour around Belfast Harbour and I was blown away; first of all it was informative but told in a way that was never boring. Much of the tour covered the history of shipbuilding in Belfast with some emphasis on the RMS Titanic; it was so exciting to see the area where the great ship was built BUT from the water, a viewpoint which made the story more real than I can ever imagine. We saw the Harbour Commissioner's Offices and then step by step took in the Harland & Wolff shipyards and the new spectacular Titanic Belfast building which stands like 3 great silver sparkling ships about to be launched into Belfast Lough. I was mesmerised to see the dry dock in which Titanic was built and so sad to hear that it will soon be concreted over, never to see light of day. The the beautiful red brick Pump House and the famous dry dock sitting beside it. The wonderful tour was over in about an hour and I could have taken in another hour. All I can say is I had no idea that there was so much enthralling history in such a small area.