“Good Value Guest House”
Review of Old Rectory

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belfast
Old Rectory
Ranked #3 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
Norfolk England
“Good Value Guest House”
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Just back from another 3 great nights at the Old Rectory,lovley big bedroom and bathroom all very clean,great ulster fror breakfast set you up for the day,see you again later in the year.Henry Lagan. Norfolk England

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
castlemaine
Reviewed February 26, 2009

The Old Rectory staff were friendly, welcoming and very accommodating. We found their supper menu a welcome relief at the end of the day where we could relax and soak up the comfort and ambience. Breakfast was superb...they were more than happy to cater for my wifes dietary needs. In fact they made an extra trip to the supermarket just for her. Rooms were plush, roomy, spotless and hard to leave! If we are ever in Belfast again it will be our first stop. A wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moonstoneCastlemaine
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Having read the previous review I feel I must respond as it is a little unfair. Okay, perhaps the style of this B&B won't suit everyone, it is an old characterful house and Mary has made this a feature, it certainly made me raise my eyebrows when I first arrived.
The Old Rectory has big rooms with big windows which have heavy drapes and they tend to be quite full of unusual items, some decorative, some useful and some curious. The furniture is big and comfortable, the bed cosy with plenty of coverings and pillows. Most rooms are en-suite and in mine I had a sofa, flat screen TV with Sky, tea and coffee making tray, a fridge with milk and water, everything I could want while away from home.
There is an excellent choice of breakfast which you are asked to choose the evening before and request a time, that means the food should always be freshly cooked. There is also plenty of choice of cereals, cheese and fruit, yoghurt, nuts etc.
The bus stops right outside and that means I don't have to drive in and find somewhere to park in the city in order have a meal in the evening which suits me. I have walked, yes it does take about 40 minutes, but that was my choice, you don't have to. It is also located a few minutes walk through Malone Park from PRONI (Public Record Office) which is great if you have Irish roots and are researching you family tree.
It was my third stay here and I enjoy the comfort, the choice at breakfast, the location just out of the city with its easy access and the friendliness and helpfulness of the hosts.

• Liked — Character
  • Disliked — Busy road
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2009

The breakfast was delicious, which is the best I can say about this place. The hostess was abrupt, rude, and omitted important information (must pay in cash) until we tried to check out. It's a shame, as the hostess' husband (who cooks the yummy breakfasts) and daughter were quite nice.

We stayed in the downstairs en suite, which is also the disabled access room. Fortunately, we were not disabled as the shower stall was tiny, cheaply made, and had no grip bars, and the bedroom was so cluttered with furniture and nick-knacks that it was difficult to maneuver. On the other hand, the disabled free-standing toilet chair (which took up a lot of space in the en suite) had to remain in that room as the hostess stated there was no where else to store it (after her husband told us the contrary). The public rooms were also very crowded with furniture and various accessories, to the point it felt claustrophobic.

Aside from the breakfasts, about the only other thing this place has going for it is location. It's about a 30-40 minute walk from the city centre, has easy access to the Lagan Tow Path, and is right on one of the main bus routes into town.

As far as BnBs go, this was my worst experience to date.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Three of us (my husband and I and our good friend) stayed at the Old Rectory in November and had a great stay. Comfortable rooms, good location, warm welcome and GREAT FOOD! Mary was a wonderful host even arranging for a Black Cab tour for us and even helped map out our driving route to Galway when we left. Would highly recommend staying The Old Rectory to anyone traveling to Belfast.

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rathdrum, Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Truly enjoyed our stay - great attention to detail - best breakfast in Ireland, try the venison and pork with dried tomato sausages! Also had brewed decaf coffee which is rare, as well as decaf coffee in the rooms and a small fridge near the room with cold cream and water! Also had large screen flat panel TV with satellite channels. As another reviewer suggested, ask for a room away from the front, as it is near a busy road and only has single pane (stained glass!!!) windows. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Breakfast, friendly owners
  • Disliked — Single pane windows - road noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)