“Not 'our pick'...”
Review of Old Rectory

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belfast
Old Rectory
Ranked #3 of 49 Belfast B&B and Inns
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Not 'our pick'...”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Chose this one on basis of it being 'Our Pick' in our guidebook. Difficult to see why... Way out of town, too pricey for what's on offer. Breakfast choices were original, and all very good, but does not compensate for being charged £86 for a £50 room.

1 Thank Simon G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently for 3 nights at Old Rectory in Belfast. We had a very enjoyable stay, the host Mary was very helpful and informative, nothing was too much trouble. The room was very pleasant, clean and very comfortable. Never seen such a fantastic choice of breakfast menu, including vegetarian, in B & B, with homemade breads, marmalades etc. The food was excellent. It was very easy to use public transport into Belfast too,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Yes, its only a 10 minute walk to the US Consulate from here so no need for another taxi or drive etc. This is an establishment that obviously runs like clockwork with very helpful hosts. (£6 taxi fair to the old rectory from the Europa coach station, £10.50 return ticket for belfast international airport coach to and from the Europa coach station).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Portrush
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Excellent food and very accommodating. We enjoyed the dinners served in the lovely room downstairs by the gourmet chef. The breakfasts were gourmet ,try the omlet. We used the buses and were able to get around Belfast. Off street parking is available.
Nancy and David

1 Thank Nancy O
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I recently stayed four nights at Old Rectory in Belfast while touring Northern Ireland. The hosts were very accomodating and forthcoming with information about tourist sites, places to eat and the weather forecast. The rooms were nicely decorated and clean and the bed was comfortable. There was no shortage of blankets on the bed. The breakfasts lived up to their reputation and the Portobello Mushroom Melt was particularily delicious. The morning papers and free WIFI were appreciated.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I came to Belfast for the first time last month for work; I flew in and out pretty quickly and regret not staying a bit longer, as the city is an interesting place and this part of it - Malone Road and the University - is very quaint and pretty.

As most other reviews have pointed out, the breakfast in this B&B is fantastic (I always make sure to eat the breakfast everywhere I go, and this was the best I've had). You order it the night before and choose your time, but that didn't bother me as I was following a tight schedule and had no problem getting up and ready early. I ended up having to check in really late as my work commitments (by which I mean the drinks reception) ran over, so when I landed at the door I was afraid that the hosts would be asleep and I would not be able to get in, but the host was absolutely fine with this late check-in and I was shown to my very nice room.

Another review has commented negatively about the rooms being chilly - I actually found it very comfortably heated. A little chill (easily solved by switching on the radiator in your room) is sometimes inevitable in an old house, but this charming house is, in my opinion, infinitely nicer than a sterile hotel. There were also plenty of blankets. I chose a room with a bathroom down the hall to save a little bit of money and didn't really mind this either, as the B&B is quiet and homely (nobody spotted me slipping down the hall in my pjs) and the bathroom was lovely - very warm, clean, and nicely decorated. You have a private key and can leave toiletries etc. in it.

I didn't use the TV or order any other food as my stay was brief, but the room was the kind I like (again, I'm in favour of homely and traditional B&Bs; I much prefer them to hotels!) Simple things like having a lamp and a jug of water by the bed (refilled for you) make such a difference, as do big mirrors for dressing and lots of storage space. My only advice to anyone visiting would be that there aren't many buses running on a Sunday, if you need to leave then; the hosts can call a cab, but you can also walk into the city centre (about 40mins) to reach the Europe Bus Stop, where buses run to the airport 7 days a week. It is easy to hail a cab in this area too, and cheap.

Room prices are very fair since you are getting high quality accommodation, great food, proximity to the centre of Belfast, and personal attention; I would certainly stay at the Old Rectory again.

Room Tip: Not having your bathroom connected to your room is perfect acceptable if you'd like to save some...