“Unbiased fair Review”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 44 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I had read negative reviews of this property before visiting and so had felt put off. I needn't have. I throroughly enjoyed my stay. Many reviewers talk about the hotel needing a refurb. OK, so the interior of this property does not look brand new, it clearly had its last refurb some while ago, but that doesn't make it a bad hotel. The reception area and ground floor of this hotel is elegant and attractive. I felt the room was a tad on the small side, but not overly so, probably fairly average for a UK hotel. The decor was slightly dated, perhaps but not unattractive as such. One thing that struck me about the room was that lighting could have been a tad better. The bathroom was elegant and the shower top notch (always important in my view) Apart from a bit of door slamming in the corridor, I was not disturbed by noise in this hotel. The bedding and pillows were very nice and the bed comfort was decent (I am extremely fussy on bed comfort) The reception staff stood out as being very very welcoming, helpful and friendly. They were very knowledgeable and couldn't have done more to make my stay pleasant, some of the best receptionists in the business, in my opinion, very slick and professional. I had a full breakfast one morning and the staff were friendly but the breakfast was average, no better. (I am a bit fussy when it comes to breakfasts!) I found the location of this hotel to be fabulous, with many great bars, shops and eateries nearby, and within walking distance of the city centre. I hope this review helps you decide whether to stay here or not, DON'T believe the seething negative reviews of this hotel, the interior is not brand new but it was clean and tidy and attractive enough and the staff are superb. Remember this is a family owned hotel, not part of a giant chain.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark H
There are newer reviews for Wellington Park Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our Branch held their Annual Dinner on the 30th May 2014. From our first meeting with Malachy Toner, to the actual night of the dinner, everthing went extremely smoothly. Our rooms were very comfortable, and our meals excellant. The Sea Cadets from Sea Eagle were present to greet our guests, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Entertainment was provided brilliantly by two lovely girls, Perfect Strangers, and we were looked after by Malachy and his wonderful team. Nothing was left ot chance and the service was fabulous. I would have no problem in recommending this Hotel. This is the third year we have used the Wellington Park, and we hope to return in the not to distant future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SubmarinerBelfast
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We organised our university formal with the Wellington Park Hotel for the second year in a row since last years was such a success. I would highly recommend it for similar occasions. It is great value for money, they organise as little or as much as you need and are easy to contact regarding organisation. On the night everyone had a brilliant time and enjoyed the dinner thoroughly; compliments to the chef. The photographer was lovely and printed the photos there and then at great value. And the hotel staff were very helpful! I would definitely recommend them for future formals, especially the likes of university/young groups.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent 2 nights there last weekend. Nice big room, and i got a good rate via Hotels.com

I really don't understand the policy of, if you order breakfast when you check in, it's £10, but if you order on the morning it's £15? The receptionist was struggling to explain/justify it too...

That aside, you can walk 5 mins down the road to Maggie Mays & get a wonderful breakfast for £6

Good location, near Queens University & walking distance in to the City Centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank LittleBoyBlue
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I was travelling to Belfast on a short notice and the hotels I usually stay where fully booked due to events occurring during the month.

I found it very difficult finding other hotels because I did not know of the others one. This made me opt for the Expedia Secret Saver Hotel deal for the first time. The deal was 40% off on 4-Star Hotels in the location area 2 - Belfast South / University District / Belvoir Golf Course.

After doing this for the first time, it was very exciting until it was revealed I was staying at the Wellington Park Hotel. I did a quick internet search on the hotel and became disappointed because of the negative reviews of the hotel. Nonetheless I would give the hotel a chance once I stayed there.

From my stay at the hotel, upon check-in, I found the staff very rude at the reception desk as I am not use to this type of service at a hotel that claims to be 4-Star. Not received a welcome visit to Belfast or information about the hotel amenities.

The room that I stayed in was dirty, unhygienic and no space for manoeuvring. The only positive was the TV size, but there are many negatives, for example: uncomfortable bed, filthy kettle, dirty towels in the unclean shower and toilet room. The room air circulation was poor due to no air-conditioning and the inadequate infrastructure of the extractor fan.

The room window was facing the car park where most of the noise was coming from and a lot of noise from the main door entrance to the hallway when people were returning.

I checked-out on the earliest possible opportunity and will never return.

I have stayed at many 4-Star hotels in the past and this hotel does not measure up to be a 4-Star, even though it claims to be a 4-Star.

In my opinion the hotel is in a good location but needs an overall revamp.

Pay the additional cost for somewhere nicer and restful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Raviii
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Found the 20 something guy on the reception desk one night very unfriendly, unhelpful and to be quite honest, rude! It was a Thursday night when my wife and I were in the hotel. How on this earth he got the job I do not know. He barely looked up from his computer when talking to me. It was as if I was taking him away from something more important. I then asked a query about parking and my question was briskly dismissed. I have never come across such rudeness, especially in what is meant to me a top hotel. Won't b e back and certainly won't recommend based on my encounter with this rude young man.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nothappy c
Reviewed May 21, 2014

great hotel, great price superb location! I stayed in this hotel for a night with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. The staff were friendly and very helpful accomdating our party. The rooms were spacious perfect for a group of girls will a lot of baggage! Locaton wise it is perfect close to the city centre with lots of taxis near by!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends