“Worst hotel stay ever”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I booked this hotel through Trivago, after checking it online. The pictures on the website of the bedrooms were very impressive. I booked a double room and was greeted and dealt with promptly by the reception staff.
The corridor leading to the room was narrow and dull, the decor tired. On entering the bedroom, I was immediately disappointed, the carpet had debris on it and the desk had crumbs on it.
The bedroom furniture was sparse however the bedding was clean upon inspection. I decided to have a shower freshen up, but to my disappointment the shower produced nothing more than a trickle that ran down the shower hose and it was cold. I was forced to kneel in the bath and was myself from the bath taps. In addition the bath handle was hanging off.
I contacted reception who sent a manager and eventually a handy man to fix the shower. To be fair, they responded quickly.
There appeared to be some building work going on in the hotel, as during the afternoon, there was continuous banging from another floor with a hammer or something.
This hammering started again the following morning shortly after 09:00. I had only just finished a week of night shifts and was looking forward to much needed lie in. I gave up that idea and left the hotel.
I travel a lot with my job, staying in many hotels throughout the UK and don't think I have ever been so disappointed with the standard of a hotel. The bedrooms are not reflective of the website pictures. I emailed the hotel immediately to tell them of my experience but to this day I have had no response.
That's a shame because the only thing that was good about the hotel was the staff, they weren't outstanding but were courteous and polite.
The Wellington Park Hotel..... I would have preferred a night at Norman Bates motel :0(

Room Tip: If you want a decent hotel don't book this one
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Swampboy9753

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Definitely not 4star standard. My boyfriend had book a suite as this was our engagement. 1st room we were offered, is not what I would class as a suite. It had a double bed! My boyfriend went to reception who changed our room which was more acceptable with a queen size bed, not the most confortable but acceptable. The room was extremely warm and the window only opened a small crack to deter smokers but you could see from the burn marks around the pvc, it didnt. We didnt have dinner here as we had already a table booked elsewhere. We did have breakfast, buffet style, usual fruits cereals and hot food, nothing special as the potato & soda bread were left in hot plates to go soggy, bacon over cooked and had dried out in the hot plates.
This definitely wasnt to 4 star standard, ive stayed in better 2 star places but thats my opinion!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank robyns_mum
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Two night stay here. Located in a nice part of the city close to the botanic gardens, so great for an evening stroll. Choice of several and varied places to eat nearby too. The accommodation was comfortable albeit a bit on the tired side decoration wise. What impressed me most was the friendliness of the place and the willingness of the staff to be of service in a natural, pleasant way. Not a fixed-grinned corporate mission statement in sight. I happened to have booked on the same night that a party of 60 hyper-active school children were staying over, and the night staff were more than accommodating in seeing that I was not disturbed. Thank you!

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you fancy something different - split level with a bedroom on top with its own bal...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2014

for the price the hotel rooms just are not good enough and they are so warm. On the plus side the bar area is nice and relaxing, Don,t think we will be back any time soon unless it gets a serious face lift.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tony m
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We, and our extended family and friends, stayed here for multiple nights to attend our son's wedding, the reception to which being held at the hotel. The hospitality of the hotel could not have been more welcoming. The manager strove to meet all our needs, anticipating many before we knew of them! More impressively, his helpful attitude seemed to be transmitted to all the staff who went out of their way to be helpful in so many ways, whether in setting up specialised dining arrangements, catering for children, or providing friendly servicing of our rooms. With the comfortable lounge and dining facilities, it was almost like having our large party staying at a country estate!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Thank you to Michael and his team for helping our conference run smoothly. Service was fantastic and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Our customers were happy with the food and facilities. We look forward to coming back.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights recently. It was an OK hotel, does what it says on the tin. The rooms are average, but the staff make up for its averageness as they are very friendly and helpful. A decent breakfast was served and the evening food was fine, although the pudding was sent back as the cream had turned. Set in a nice part of the city, and convenient for the university quarter.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family