“Fair enough, What I expected for the money”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Not too bad of a hotel but they could do with a maintainence man.. Lot of loose bits, and silly thing like fans not working.
Food was only OK but I thought the staff were great fun and very helpful...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tippguy

Reviewed November 13, 2007

Stayed here for a girly weekend in Belfast. Great location as taxi to the town centre was only a few minutes away.
Hotel is sufficient as a base. Room was dated but clean and tidy. Staff friendly and helpful. There was no pressure to check out at 12 which was good due to hangovers! I don't think it is a four star however I would stay here again.
Worth mentioning .... There is a lovely cafe called Connors just around the corner from the hotel which I would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank lou79_7
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed at The Wellie for two days (Friday and Saturday Night) and had a blast. There were 16 of us ranging in age from 30 to 65. The service was great, the food was great, and the staff was wonderful to us from the get go. They did very well with catering to our "American" ways of life. Nightlife was provided right there at the hotel and since we were there while school was out we found the crowd for the "disco" around our age (for those still up 30-40). It was wonderful to walk out of your room and meet and talk to people from the area. If youre looking for a place to stay to mingle with locals, this is the place. We traveled around Ireland for 2 weeks staying in 3 to 5 star hotels, castles, and farmhouses and none had air conditioning or screens regardless of the rating so we were not surprised by that. We felt perfectly safe walking around at night by ourselves. For their rates, this hotel was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank AtlantaTravelGirl
Reviewed September 6, 2007

This is basically your typical best western hotel. Nothing flash but ok really in most aspects. Check in was very prompt and receptionist was really nice.

Room was very big as was the bathroom had the various toiletries, room and bathroom were very clean. Both are a little dated but ok. Room and hotel in general was very very warm there was no air conditioning in the room.

Breakfast was good, service was good in bar/lobby area.

Location is excellent about a 3 minute walk to queens and 10/15 mins to downtown.

Re. Belfast I didn't get to see much of the city because I was at a conference but I hope to return as it is a nice, well kept city.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Anthony06
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Superficially the Wellington Park is just an average Best Western Hotel. But it is the lack of attention to detail that sets it apart from others in the chain I have stayed in. Grubby, frayed around the edges and slapdash were all to mind as I surveyed my fairly spacious room. All the required facilities were there (tea/coffee, TV, desk, trouser press, iron ... ...). However, there was a large dollop of age-old dirt behind the taps on the bath and a coating of dust on skirting boards and underneath the TV (only discovered this as I moved the TV to get more space on the desk to do some work). From the bath one could see just how stained the toilet bowl was (I didn't
make a point of looking, it was impossible to avoid sight of the grot!). I stayed two nights, got a good night's sleep on both and a hot, if artery clogging, breakfast. The service at all levels was efficient, if sullen. The receptionists must have trained in Stalinist Russia. The hotel is ok as a base a few days, you won't suffer there (except on Wednesday and Thursday night's when light sleepers will be kept awake from noise from the two nearby student pubs and the Wellie Park's own bar). It has a safe car park, a reasonable and very spacious front lounge/coffee bar in which to meet people socially and for business and it is near to many many good restaurants about the Queen's University area. Despite the student pubs, it is the location in the university area that has brought me back to the Wellington Park time and again. But this trip I finally got a guide to other hotels in Belfast and I'm going to see
what else is nearby, hopefully somewhere where there is more than just a superficial attention to detail, especially housekeeping.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Harry_Callaghan
Reviewed June 6, 2007

In all my years travelling II have never experienced such terrible reception service in all my life. Upon arrival (half an hour early) we were immediately told, with no sorry/hello etc that 'you can't get in you room till 2 o'clock.' Fair enough but we had to ask for somewhere to leave our cases. No pleasantries at all. We then asked when we could check out to be told '12 o'clock. That's why you cant check in till 2pm as we need time to clean the rooms.' I nearly fell over at this startling revelation !

When we did get a room, as much as I like my work colleague, I had no intention in sharing a double with him. It then took over five hours to get a twin that we had booked.

Room was ok but not 4 star.

All in all, unless you want to be next to the Botanic pub next door avoid at all costs. Stay at the Radisson, closer to city centre, far nicer staff and rooms, I know I will.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank KiltedWanderer
Reviewed May 19, 2007

Having read the reviews on this site about the hotel was pleasantly surprised. We were there for business at a trade exhibition so obviously a busy time and the hotel was full. It was OK room was clean, standard size, breakfast OK staff not too welcoming - had to ask for coffee.

My main complaints were no net curtains - room overlooked the carpark so you couldn't wander out of the bathroom without at least a towel!! The pillows were also incredibly hard, didn't bother to ask for softer ones as was only there for 2 nights.

Not as bad, in our experience, as some of the other reviewers made it out to be.

Stayed: May 2007