“Suited the purpose”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Wellington park for 2 nights as we were attending a function on the Saturday night. The room was very clean but small and had poor natural light. It overlooked the back car park and as a result was very quiet. The room was well insulated from corridor noise which was a big plus as I am a light sleeper. The breakfast was buffet style but all items were nicely presented and cooked. Eggs were cooked to order and tea/coffee was replenished as needed. The staff were polite and attentive.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Other reviews seem to indicate that some of the bedrooms at the Wellington have been refurbished - we were clearly in one of the ones still waiting to be done. The hallways were tired, the bedroom had fairly cheap old fashioned pine furniture and we had one tiny window overlooking a rooftop and a brick wall. The complimentary toiletries were on the basic side - more motel than luxury hotel - and the hotel lacked facilities such as a gym which one would usually expect in a big city 4 star hotel. On our first day we had ordered a sandwich lunch for a meeting. Nowadays I would expect this to consist of a variety of breads - maybe some baguette, some wraps and some ciabatta etc. What we got was a plate full of very ordinary sandwiches with supermarket cheap sliced bread. But on the positive side the hotel is well located, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, there was free wifi and the staff were friendly. If the hotel was advertised as a 3 star I would be happy but I expect more for 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished one
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent a weekend in Belfast with Fri night in a 3 star hotel and sat night in Wellington Park '4 star'. As such we expected the Wellington Park to be better value/quality than our previous night stay. How wrong we were!!!
I have stayed in better rooms in budget hotels with better facilities. The room decor was terrible, the cleanliness was poor, the hair dryer was faulty, the trouser press was faulty and pretty much everything was less than standard. We asked if we could get extra coffee and some wine glasses to our room - staff were very friendly and helpful.....however, we had to wash the glasses we received and we got a generous helping of '2' coffee sachets!
Dont have a bad word to say about the staff but the accomodation and facilites should not be rated as 4 start!! Personally i wouldnt rate as 3 star!

Room Tip: Good room - pay more money than you should OR stay at another hotel!!
1  Thank nird
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Being from Belfast, I wanted my wedding reception to be in the city centre so my husband and I chose the Wellington Park Hotel.

Living now in London, we only had 2 days to fly home, visit 7 hotels, chose one, and fly back! Having seen 4 so-called "Finest" hotels, we went for our appointment at the Wellington Park and straight away we were made to feel so comfortable and welcome. Gerry (I think!) showed us around and nothing was too much trouble. He wasn't "in your face" about booking and gave us time on our own. We decided to book straight away and the service over the next year of planning was brilliant. They were always at the end of the phone or email!

Being a bit of a self-confessed bridezilla, I knew EXACTLY how I wanted my tables set out etc...and my goodness - the hotel seemed to read my mind! They made the room up to be more perfect than I could have imagined. We had lots of guests over from london who were also incredibly impressed by the service and told us so. Stephen was our contact on the day and his service and care to attention was flawless. The staff were really discreet also when serving and half the time you wouldn't have even know that they were there!
I flew back to Belfast at the weekend there for a late first anniversary night and stayed in the hotel again - I'm glad to say it is still the brilliant hotel I remember.
Thank you to the staff of the Wellington Park Hotel for making our wedding day that little bit extra special. You guys really KNOW how to do a wedding!

Jennifer (nee Beatty) and Edward McGuigan

Room Tip: The side rooms are lovely and quiet!
Reviewed September 21, 2012

After having our wedding reception in here the year before, we thought we'd be in for a treat on our anniversary.

As a part of the original package we were given a free night on our anniversary, so we took the plane journey back over and added this stay to the end of our holiday.

A year on and where we'd been treated like a king and a queen we were treated like an after thought.

The hotel is ideally situated for the city, very clean, comfortable and the food as always, good.

If you're going for business or pleasure an ideal stay, but don't accept the free night get something else instead.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference that was just down the street at the university. It's walking distance from plenty of stores, bars, restaurants, parks, etc. It's a slightly further walk (though very doable) to the city centre. Some college pubs just next door. A convenience store across the street.

The staff was very friendly. The morning breakfast was wonderful. The lobby was comfortable.

My room was good size with plenty of space. The parking lot behind the hotel was only 5 euros per night.

When I booked the reservation online, there is a "reservation fee" that looks as though it's a "deposit", but it's not -- it's just a fee. In my case, I made some changes to the reservation by cancelling it and re-reserving...so I had to pay 3 reservation fees (at almost US$20 each time), not realizing that the reservation fees were non-refundable. (I didn't read all of the fine print in the terms of service for making an online reservation at the hotel's website.) Thankfully, the hotel contacted the "reservation company" and was able to get the 2 additional reservation fees refunded for me. Regardless, I don't believe I've ever had to pay a "fee" to reserve a room at a hotel.

Room Tip: My room was on the back side, facing the parking lot. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2012

First the positives: The check in was swift and reasonably friendly. The room, although a little tired looking was spotlessly clean, and the beds were comfortable. Also, I had requested a quiet room and was delighted to find that we were on the 4th floor at the back of the Hotel and therefore away from the main noise of the Malone Road (but read on...).

The Hotel was ideally situated for our needs- virtually opposite the Botanical Gardens, Queens University and about a 15 minute walk to the American Consulate.

There are also lots of restaurants, cafes and pubs in the vicinity- you are spoilt for choice.

Now the issue: when we tried to have a shower in the evening I could only get scalding hot water from the shower, no cold water at all. I contacted Reception who said they would arrange to send someone to fix it whilst we were out.
I returned to the Hotel at about 21:45 to find water gushing from the hot tap into the tub. I couldn't turn it off, so went back to Reception. The same man said 'Oh yes. you'll have to move.'
We were given a room on the 2nd floor on one of the busiest sides of the Hotel. It looked even more tired than the previous one, but again was spotlessly clean.

I returned to Reception yet again to complain that the room was very noisy. The chap said,' this is a busy city. The police say it will quieten down about midnight (we had a very early start the next day, so this was NOT comforting news). If I get a cancellation (this at 2200- very likely I'm sure) I'll move you. Basically, he couldn't care less.

Needless to say, I had a very disturbed night indeed, so my tip is to take ear plugs, and don't expect a sympathetic ear from management.

Room Tip: I imagine that the rooms on the top floors are quieter, and you definitely don't want one fronti...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business