“Where i spend a full week in Belfast, instead of the 3 nights planned...”

Arnie's Backpackers
Ranked #17 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Belfast
Paris, France
“Where i spend a full week in Belfast, instead of the 3 nights planned...”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I didn't book, I just came to have a look, they had a free bed and offered me a cup of tea, i didn't need more.
This hostel is not the biggest, the modernest, the cleanest you can find, but this is the more friendly you can find.
The staff is really pleasant.
This is just a big house full of friend sharing it for few nights.
And it is one of the cheapest of Belfast.
15 mn walking from the city hall, 3mn from the university and from the wonderful Botanic Garden.
I felt so good there and i met so fine people that i decided to stay a bit longer...

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Doncaster, England
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We (3 girls aged 20) stayed here for 1 night in June 2008.

It was more than adequate for what we required - just somewhere to crash after a busy day of sightseeing followed by a few pubs.

Location is about 15 minute walk into the centre, near Queen's University. This is an easy walk.

Room was fine apart from the beds being a bit close together in terms of top and bottom bunk. There was us 3 in our room along with another girl as it was only a 4 bedded room. A negative would be the fact that the door to your room is not locked and so anyone could potentially walk in and take your things, but you can leave any valuables with the staff.

The staff were friendly and welcoming (you have a cup of tea made for you when you arrive!)

We only used the kitchen to make cups of tea but there was fridge, cooker, hob and the cooking utensils and pans etc needed. It was cleaned by the staff once a day so I would happily of used it.

There are 2 showers in the entire building and a max of 22 people staying at one time but we didn't have to queue for the showers and they were fine.

Would stay again.

• Liked — Friendly staff!
  • Disliked — Bunk beds being close together.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank keentraveller120
Liverpool
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I took my two children to stay for one night and would never go back again unless the security was vastly improved. I booked all of the beds in the room so we would not have to share with anyone we didn't know (my children are 11 and 6 - the hostel does not seem to have a Child Protection Policy in place, unlike other hostels we've stayed in).

There are no locks on the doors that work, they have been jammed deliberately which I didn't know about before I booked. We were placed at the top of the hostel and so should've been left alone, but at 3:15am a man entered our room and I had to ask him to leave. I did not sleep for the rest of the night as I would not risk my children's safety. The only reason I knew he had entered the room is because I had placed my suitcase against the door and it was knocked over and into one of the metal bunk beds making a huge noise waking me up.

The hostel was clean the beds were comfy (although one of the beds was placed right next to a window that did not shut properly and therefore could not be locked). The only secure place to keep anything is the staff room but you are charged for this.

The only real problem I have is with the security, which I feel is severely lacking in all aspects.

The Canadian girl who booked us in was very friendly and pleasant, unfortunately she did not arrive the next morning until after we had already left so I could not inform the staff of the intruder in our room in the night.

• Liked — It was quite quiet and away from the main road.
  • Disliked — Horrendous security!! People can enter your room because you can't lock yoursef in!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Jomdaisy

Travelers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2007

If you're accustomed to continental style private hostels, then you probably won't like Arnies very much. It's reasonably located (near Queens University), and friendly enough, but the rooms are very crowded, and the other facilities are not all that good.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overcrowding in rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank JRL_Oz
London
Reviewed November 14, 2006

friendly staff - willing to offer good suggestions as to where to go, what to do etc. Good, quiet location (10 mins walk to pubs etc). Nice rooms (though may be a bit cramped if full).

• Liked — Great staff - friendly with lots of advice
  • Tips/Secrets — Get staff to book you a black cab tour.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jemkins
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 25, 2006

i loved arnies, it was a very comfortable, welcoming place to stay. It felt like a friends house. I met lots of folks that I still keep in touch with there. if you want a sterile, boring environment head to the IH but for really nice people you head to Arnies!

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Amersfoort nl.
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We went to arnie's backpackers for 4 nights. We were in there with 15 people and there were only 2 showers. The kitchen was smelly and the pans were nasty. Think twice when you want to go there!!!!

Stayed April 2006