“Very good hostel!”

Belfast International Youth Hostel
Helsinki, Finland
“Very good hostel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Here is really friendly staff. And the rooms are nice, quite basic hostel beds. Shower and toilet were ok. Very peaceful hostel when I stayed there 1 night. I had nothing to complain! I especially want to thank a little bit older, professional man in reception. He was really great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
BIYH, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our Belfast Youth Hostel. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great experience- especially with our reception staff. We aim to provide all our guests with a first class service and I am so glad you received this. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Standard hostel experience really, staff were friendly and the secure car park was very useful as not sure the neighbourhood is somewhere one would park an Irish registered car given we watched some locals painting Union Jack colours on the kerbside out the window of the room!

Wifi worked intermittently, the shower was a bit on the cold side but it is a hostel after all.

Cafe was fine for breakfast & the location was very good for the city. I'd certainly stay there again but would try and get a room not facing the street.

Room Tip: Try to avoid one facing the street or else bring ear-plugs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our Belfast Youth Hostel. I'm sorry to hear that you found it a bit noisy - unfortunately being in a city centre location, near to all local attractions, means that there is often noise from outside which we have no control over. I hope that it didn't disturb your sleep too much and that we can welcome you back again in the future, doing our best to accommodate a room at the back of the building!
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hostel is truly disgusting and nearly ruined my impression of Belfast.

-The hallways smell like pish.
-The rooms are very small and dingy.
-The bunk beds are quite possibly a health and safety hazard. They- squeaked and heaved back and forth with every movement.
The mattresses were covered in thick plastic, then a gross sheet. (Maybe) clean sheets were provided in a plastic bag to place over the bottom one and under the gross duvet.
-To be fair, the pillows were quite nice.
-The bathrooms and toilets are SHOCKING. The showers are literally grimy with black mold. I actually felt dirtier after using one.
-No soap in any of the toilets. NO SOAP. Seriously.
-The hostel itself has a boring, cold atmosphere.
-The staff wandered about watching everyone trying to enforce unrealistic rules. For example, My friends and I were enjoying a bottle of wine before dinner in the lounge area and we were told we had to go to the dining room or our wine would be confiscated.

There was some drunk guy yelling and banging in the hallway off and on for a what felt like an hour. Other guests at the hostel had to deal with this. I know it's not the hostel staffs fault the guy was a drunk, but they should have been the ones to handle this.

I woke feeling horrible, dirty and unrested. This is an awful state to be in before exploring a new city on a rainy day. I had a hard time shaking off this vibe. Luckily, I returned to Belfast to try to change this and stayed at an AMAZING hostel (the best I've been at!) called Vagabonds which is just up the road from this awful place.

Belfast is a lovely, fascinating city. Just stay away from this dive.

Room Tip: Go to Vagabonds instead.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank EmilyRevels
Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. It is unfortunate that you had this experience whilst at the same time as your visit we have had two excellent reviews. Perhaps you could call me (Cathy) at Head Office on 02890324733 to discuss your points further? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Travelers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Adelaide Hills, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Terrible plastic wrapped creaky beds. Grumpy old man staff who told us he would confiscate our wine. Gross slimy showers. No soap anywhere to be found. Just don't stay here if you want to enjoy belfast.

• Stayed May 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review our Belfast International Youth Hostel. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience. With regards to confiscating your wine - we have a strict no alcohol policy beyond ground floor/ reception; this is because we have a large number of school groups who stay with us and we take our duty of care to our minors very seriously. If you would like to discuss this further please call me (Cathy) at Head Office on 02890324733. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This wasn't the best hostel that I've stayed at, but it also wasn't the worst. Pros: located not far from the downtown area, cool cafe downstairs, helpful staff, great value for the price. Cons: Two person rooms are very small (though I stayed in a 6 person room the next time and it was much bigger), showers not very clean (bring flip flops!!), no free wifi, the beds were not very comfortable and the sheets weren't fitted properly and kept coming off. I would consider staying here again, though there is definitely room for improvement.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BIYH, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on our Belfast youth hostel, your opinion and feedback helps us to improve our service and offering for the future. I am delighted to be able to say that since your stay in Nov 2012 we now offer FREE WI-FI in public areas of the hostel. I am very sorry to hear that you felt the bed to be uncomfortable - we have just installed new mattresses into the hostel so perhaps if you return sometime in the future you will be able to make use of these improved facilities!
Croatia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in this hostel for only two nights but I have to say that I'm glad it didn't been longer.
Not because I didn't like Belfast, I did, but next time I would choose some other hostel.
This one needs good renovation. Only the entrance with the reception desk, internet room and restaurant looks good but rooms are very small, dirty, with old furniture (bunk beds and something that appears to be closet but it's falling apart). Bathrooms weren't cleaned this two days I've been there and showering there was the worst shower experience ever.
We got sheets in plastic bag, like there were washed, but despite that, they were old, with holes and hairs all over them, so including the pillow and cover, this was just "great" to sleep at. :-/
This hostel does have a reasonable price so that's ok. Also, it is on great position, near city center and everything, it's big enough, so it would be great if they would do something to improve it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BIYH, Public Relations Manager at Belfast International Youth Hostel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We really appreciate your taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you would return to Belfast and that you were impressed by our central location, reception area and onsite café. However, I want to personally apologise that you were disappointed with our rooms and quality of our sheets. We use an outside firm to launder all of our linen so I am disappointed to hear that they fell below acceptable standards and please be assured that this will be looked into. We very much value you as a guest and would hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went for St. Pattys day with 4 friends, book 3 different rooms. Rooms smelled of urine as soon as we walked in, shower is just a nozzle in the bathroom, door rotted at the bottom. Staff at the fron desk were not friendly, bed was really uncomfortable, no free WIFI. Also in a sketchy area, but close to city center. However, the restaurant connected was awesome, people were friendly, and had great food. Averyies bar was pretty cool though around the corner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for celebrating St Patricks day with us; Your feedback is very important to us and helps us to improve our service moving forward. We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience during your recent stay with us. Please forgive the inadequacies in housekeeping that you encountered during your stay and please be assured that this will be looked into and rectified immediately. We have just introduced free WIFI into our Belfast hostel and I apologise that you were not able to avail of this during your trip. On a positive note, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our onsite café and that you found the people of Northern Ireland friendly and welcoming!