“Basic rooms, stellar hospitality”

The Parador Guest House
Ranked #12 of 48 Belfast B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Basic rooms, stellar hospitality”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I only needed a place to rest whilst in Belfast for a conference. My room was basic, with shower, desk and washbasin, but everything was very clean and in tip-top shape and Peter, the friendliest and hardest-working man in Belfast, was fantastic!

Don't be put off by previous negative reviews. It seems they didn't do their research or couldn't sort out basic problems on their own. We didn't demand much but the staff and even the bar patrons welcomed us wholeheartedly and went out of their way to make us comfortable. Will definitely return the next time I'm in Belfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank burqagirl2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I found the room basic but suited my needs well as i just needed a bed at night. The shower in the room had great water pressure. The bar down stairs had a good relaxed vibe and the locals are happy for a chat and give some information. Hotel is in a good location only 15min walk into city centre. The most positive aspect though was the staff they were very friendly and happy to share information and give advice on where to go and what to do

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

On the border between been low-standard and a matter for Trading Standards.
Room not up to any basic standards, and endless list of problems.
I mentioned a few of them to the manager on Sunday morning before leaving:
1. The room window had metal bars on the outside, and it did not stay open unless propped up with a drawer;
2. When I managed to open the window, I was woken up by the smell of smoke entering my room overnight from cigarette butts thrown onto the area outside my window by guests illegally smoking in the rooms above mine;
I believe the two facts above put The Parador in breach of fire safety regulations.

3. The main light switch near the bed did not work;
4. The light above the sink did not work;
5. The bedroom stank of air freshener;
6. The noise from the pub downstairs did not stop at 12 as I was erroneously reassured by the manager on Saturday night, but went on well into the small hours of Sunday morning.
7. The tv remote control was missing; [this is the only problem that I was informed about before taking the room.]
8. The breakfast was unacceptably basic by any "Continental Breakfast" standard, unless the continent referred to is Africa (around Somalia, or any area affected by famine or civil war).

When I complained on Sunday morning, the manager informed me that she did not have the authority to offer me a refund.
Conveniently the person responsible was not on the premises at the time.
I left them my phone number but nobody from The Parador contacted me after I left.
The amount of problems with the room was unacceptable and spoiled my sleep and overnight stay.
I checked my room on the Saturday night but I could not imagine that so many of the features of the room did not work.
I believe that Parador Guest House is breaking basic fire safety rules and regulations, by not enforsing the "No Smoking"rules, and by having metal bars room windows.
I felt totally ripped off and taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Sleep in the car instead.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank erminchia
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

would just like to thank everyone in the parador guest hotel for being so helpful and welcoming!!!as i am a student from south Africa studying in Dublin with my friend we found this hotel lovely and accommodating and very much worth its money!!!i also liked the fact it was near the city centre of Belfast and gave us the homely feeling, will definitively stay over again and recommend to anyone!thank you for making my stay in Belfast a memorable one!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed here very recently with my boyfriend and got an agreeable deal at short notice. Rooms were clean, hot shower in the room and comfortable beds. Breakfast in the morning and no rush to get out in the mornings. Friendly staff, great atmosphere in the downstairs bar, all over great 2 night's stay would definately recommend and stay again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachael S
Tyrone
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here a while back with my husband. It is a real traditional place with great staff who are very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Don't be put off by there not being a reception area, the staff all know whats happening and are more than happy to help. I really would reccomend this place to anyone looking a nice cheap friendly night away!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheila H
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My Wife and I stayed here in May 2011 as part of our Ireland holiday and, quite frankly, this was the worst place we stayed in. As other reviewers have stated, this is a pub with guest rooms as a sideline. There is NO reception. There was NO maid service; our room wasn't cleaned nor the beds made during our two night stay. The continental breakfast was a joke. There was no cold meats, no cheese, no croissants. All there was was some cereals in packets, coffee and bread to make toast. One morning we went for breakfast and there was no butter and on another there was no milk. At £50 per room per night they are not cheap either! As there was nobody about in the morning there was nobody to complain to.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple